Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by people adjusting my DDs name

(273 Posts)
Blackcelebration73 Wed 20-Feb-19 04:12:20

My DD is called Megan. We call her Megan at home.
Other people seem to think it’s ok to change it to other versions:
Meg
Meggy
Megs
Her name is Megan and that is what we call her at home.
Aibu to think people should just call her by the name her parents use & not make names up?! It really bloody irritates me

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 20-Feb-19 05:48:09

If she's old enough, what does your DD call herself?

WeMarchOn Wed 20-Feb-19 05:48:29

My daughter is called Megan and she gets called all sorts
Meg
Meggy
Meg's
Moo
Mog
But mostly Meg
It doesn't bother me as i do it too, she is 12 this year so she can be called what she likes!!

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Wed 20-Feb-19 05:57:09

All my children have names that are either commonly shortened or shortenable. We call all of them by the full forms. They all get various shortenings from various people, and the eldest gets the common one(s) from relatives although we have never used them (and now, as a teen, goes, at least to friends, by a shortening a friend pretty much made up). The middle one calls the youngest a shortening we have never used. It's what people do with names. It's a facet and manifestation of people's different interactions with our child and of what we have to get used to throughout their growing up.

LellyMcKelly Wed 20-Feb-19 05:58:43

If you’re irritated by this you’re going to spend the rest of your life feeling irritated.

Impatienceismyvirtue Wed 20-Feb-19 06:07:54

My very difficult MIL pretends to not know who I mean when I refer to my husband as Ben instead of Benjamin. He also refers to himself as Ben.

Don’t be THAT mother.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 20-Feb-19 06:11:27

My daughter has her name shortened. I couldn’t care less probably because I think it sounds cute and endearing. I think Meg and Meggy for Megan sounds nice tbh but not Megs. Putting an s on the end becomes a bit harsh sounding. But I do also think you need to chill a little. Children will do this. After I brought my old dog into school on pet week, dd was called by his name by some of the children for a couple of years until he died.

HoppingPavlova Wed 20-Feb-19 06:12:13

Yep, you go on and tell all of her classmates thatgrin. Something tells me you are going to be in for a hard ride in life.

QuitMoaning Wed 20-Feb-19 06:14:16

@NoKnownFather
I don’t know where to start. It really isn’t “insulting”.
You sound like you are completely up yourself and over the top about your name.
My given name has many diminutives and one is very similar to my preferred one but I really dislike it. However if someone calls me it by accident I still answer them as That would be rude. I just find an opportunity to say nicely that I prefer to be called something else and they do. No drama in my life and I have other more important things to worry about.
Losing friends over this is just weird.

AuntieCJ Wed 20-Feb-19 06:16:03

So uptight. Get over yourself FFS.

PhilomenaButterfly Wed 20-Feb-19 06:19:16

My aunt put under "Preferred name" on an application form the diminutive in capital letters, eg: "PENNY". 😂

Greenglassteacup Wed 20-Feb-19 06:21:20

You aren’t going to be able to control this OP. You could have chosen a name that couldn’t be shortened

AJPTaylor Wed 20-Feb-19 06:24:14

Reminds me of my neighbour who named her son Thomas. She told me she could not stand the name Tom, or Tommy so she had called him Thomas.
Life time of pain she signed up for there.

troubleswillbeoutofsight Wed 20-Feb-19 06:26:35

I do get your annoyance but think you have to swallow it. My son has a name that I didn’t want to be shortened but which often is. Not one person ever shortened it as he didn’t want it to be either and so corrected anyone who attempted it. However I knew it was out of my hands what people chose to call him and what he accepted. It’s not your name it’s your daughter’s name that you gave her as a gift

MyOtherProfile Wed 20-Feb-19 06:29:08

Our youngest is officially a lengthened version of the name we actually call him, I can't stand it when people lengthen it to the full version
We get the opposite of this which always makes me hmm We called our ds a short version of a longer name and lots of his mates call him the full version at school (eg Andy getting called Andrew). I'm not really bothered and neither is he but it is a bit odd given that the long version isn't actually his name!

Sophisticatedsarcasm Wed 20-Feb-19 06:30:01

My friend is called John, we always Call him Johnny 😂😂 same with my son has a 5 letter name and his teacher started calling him by a longer name, he actually doesn’t care and his friends call him taj 😂😂 My daughter too, she has about 3 different nicknames. 😂

Shetlandponyranger Wed 20-Feb-19 06:36:13

I’m a teacher and occasionally have students say before parents evening “Miss, you better call me William and not Billy because my Mum hates it,” even though they call themselves Billy (or Lizzie, or Jonny or whatever!), all their friends do, all the teaching staff do and they even label their books and planners with the shortened version.
I have a son with a name that has an obvious shortening that I am not keen on, I never use it but his preschool teacher did and his football coach does. I recognise it is a term of endearment.
Much loved is the child with many names.

Crunchymum Wed 20-Feb-19 06:37:27

I have a Tommy and a Johnny and a Megan in my close family and manage to get all their names right.

blueskiesovertheforest Wed 20-Feb-19 06:42:30

Is she a toddler?

Have you never noticed that this always happens to everyon with a name that has more than one syllablee, everywhere, and always has?

It is totally out of your control once she's at school - you may be able to control what teachers call her, but not what her peers call her!

IncrediblySadToo Wed 20-Feb-19 06:44:59

😂🤣😂 so many people taking you seriously 😂🤣😂

Suchas2019 Wed 20-Feb-19 06:47:56

People really get ‘irritated’ about something like this?
Wish I had their problems.

TheJobNeverEnded Wed 20-Feb-19 06:50:28

My Dh told me his name, it is the short version, his parents and grandparents called him by the long version, as does his sister.

It just shows that whatever name you pick your child may choose to shorten it.

But I also have a friend who has a double-name like Anne-Marie and she is still to this day Anne-Marie. She doesn't shorten it, never has and will correct anyone who tries to shorten it.

At the end of the day keep calling her Megan, correct anyone who shortens it but just know it may end up shortened anyway by Megan herself.

oldsewandsew Wed 20-Feb-19 06:50:56

I’m with you actually OP. Both of my children have naturally developed nicknames, but when they were born a relative was told their names, and asked ‘so what will you call them?’ Um, we’ll call them by their names! Some people are desperate to shorten names, which is fine with their own children, but a name is a name, and people should respect that. (BTW, I’m not that bothered that I would say anything to anybody, I just find it weird)

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Wed 20-Feb-19 06:50:58

It's annoying when people do that.

My Mil kept shortening my DDs name to lils and I flipped one day and said her name is Lily, please use it.

Happygolucky009 Wed 20-Feb-19 06:58:43

My name was shortened by a teacher. No one calls me by my full name anymore, not even my parents!!!! I prefer my shortened name, what does your daughter think?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:04:36

Chill, it’s a form of endearment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »