Talk

Advanced search

To hate this smashcake craze?

(589 Posts)
skerrywind Sun 09-Apr-17 10:35:24

A close member of our family has just spent £100 on a smashcake for her 1st baby's birthday.
I find it quite disgusting to waste food like this. It surprises me that I have quite a gutteral reaction to this. I also find it disgusting to see people in baths of beans etc.

Anyone else feel like this or am I just a killjoy?

GeillisTheWitch Sun 09-Apr-17 10:37:01

£100!? shock

You get them for a tenner in asda. groceries.asda.com/product/party-cakes/asda-chocolate-smash-cake/910002365566

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 09-Apr-17 10:37:40

No I think it's gross. I have no idea what the point is supposed to be, it's not cute, it's a waste. If you're the type that thinks it is adorable when a kids is covered in cake - just give them a slice of cake confused. Why do they need a whole cake?!

AliceKlar Sun 09-Apr-17 10:40:21

It's like everything that is wrong with society all rolled into one. It's crass, wasteful, unnecessary and pathetic. At 1 babies generally make an almighty mess with whatever is placed on their highchair trays so why it should be a novelty to see them covered in food, I have no idea.

Teabagtits Sun 09-Apr-17 10:41:29

Yanbu - vulgar things. Baked beans or spaghetti make a better mess and cost considerably less ;)

AgentProvocateur Sun 09-Apr-17 10:41:35

Apart from being expensive and wasteful, it's just so horrendously tacky!

insancerre Sun 09-Apr-17 10:43:13

Hideous

HecateAntaia Sun 09-Apr-17 10:43:45

i think it is disgusting.
we live in a world where people starve to death.
it is a bit of a 'fuck you' every time someone ruins food for a bit of fun.
a far bigger and more disgusting thing is the stockpiling of food (food mountains) and the throwing away of perfectly good food by supermarkets etc.

until we live in a world where nobody is hungry, hoarding, spoiling or destroying food is immoral. (if we lived in a world where nobody ever missed a meal it would simply be bloody stupid)

Frazzledmum123 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:45:49

Sorry but I love it! Thinking of doing one for mine when she turns 1 but maybe do it myself. If you have the money though and want to spend it on this I don't see the problem, photo shoots often cost around £100 so money wise it's not much different and a waste of food? Think that's a bit out, a few eggs, some sugar butter and flour isn't the end of the world surely if someone has fun with it?

Redglitter Sun 09-Apr-17 10:47:06

I hate them. I have a friend who's a photographer and does loads of cake smash sessions. I just don't get the appeal. Surely a nice photo session of your baby all dressed up and looking gorgeous is far nicer to have

BakerBear Sun 09-Apr-17 10:49:05

Who cleans it up? The photographer or the parents?

TheScottishPlay Sun 09-Apr-17 10:51:15

Horrid, but unfortunately we are in a world of selfishness, greed and and gross ignorance writ large where very few know or care about the world at large.

Strigoi Sun 09-Apr-17 10:51:17

I had no idea this was a thing till I read MN. It just seems really wasteful and vulgar to me when there are people in this country who have to resort to food banks. And I'm not normally particularly judgey about what other people choose to do.

Frazzledmum123 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:52:49

Ott not out!

I hate all this 'it's immoral' stuff that is spouted all the time, I can't imagine the people saying it never waste anything- ever had a pumpkin at Halloween? Do you only have enough clothes or shoes etc to last you a couple of days until it's washed again? Ever used disposable nappies? all non essential if you are going to be very moralist. Even if you haven't, unless you literally only eat to fuel your body and never indulge in anything I don't think you have a right to bring up the starving

I'm not saying constantly but food and throw it away and I love it now we have the food caddies and recycling boxes etc but every now and then I think it's fine to have a bit of fun like this

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 09-Apr-17 10:54:36

You say you love it, Frazzled.
What exactly is it you love about it?

coughsandsneezes Sun 09-Apr-17 10:56:07

I am glad to see this thread - I can't stand cake smash photos and agree with PP. it's not that I don't like it but each to their own. I actually think it's wrong to do it. It is incredibly insulting to celebrate the waste of food in a photo. Lucky you if you have never known anyone starving or short of food. I bet wouldn't think it was so cute then. Oh and the "it's only a couple of eggs and a bit of flour on the day" is completely missing the point.

I know lots of people who do this for their baby photos so I can't say anything irl but I wish I could.

TaliDiNozzo Sun 09-Apr-17 10:58:12

I hate this too. It's vulgar and tacky and I can't stand to see food wasted like this. It's a horrible trend and not even a little bit cute.

HecateAntaia Sun 09-Apr-17 10:58:34

people who do it may not like to hear what others think of it but thats just tough. a lot of people dont think it is ok to purposefully ruin food.

Frazzledmum123 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:59:30

Actually I have no idea really, I just think it's cute. I love seeing babies enjoy food, have loads of pictures of my older two with it smeared all over their face. I am obsessed with photos too. Can't really put my finger on what I like but want to make a big deal of my last baby's (sob) 1st birthday and like them so will probably do it. Not sure I'd pay to have it done mind, should be easy to do myself and agree the nicely dressed professional pics are better

TwatteryFlowers Sun 09-Apr-17 11:00:42

Can't get worked up about it to be honest. I agree with Frazzled re. the hand wringing annoy the food wastage - all of us waste food and other resources in one way or another. I'm not sure if the cake is actually wasted either tbh; one couple I know who did this for their baby got the cake back after the shoot and they ate the rest of it because it wasn't completely destroyed - the baby had touched it, smeared a bit on his face and clothes and then it was taken away.

Frazzledmum123 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:01:11

Hecate - doesn't bother me to hear you hate it, to each their own

insancerre Sun 09-Apr-17 11:02:09

It's not even the food issue so much for me, I just think the photos look absolutely awful
Tacky and twee

Getover Sun 09-Apr-17 11:02:39

My God, can't people find new things to moan about?

Very repetitive threads all the time....

Does the smashcake photo effect you at all?

Yes it's a waste, but kids in general waste food daily, and it not like it's a daily occurrence.

NisekoWhistler Sun 09-Apr-17 11:03:13

It's an awful vulgar fad that I despise, what is wrong with these people. There are people starving in the world who would give their right arm for a morsel of that wasted cake!

SpaceDuck Sun 09-Apr-17 11:04:06

Such a waste of good cake angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now