Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to have abandoned this guy at a petrol station?

(223 Posts)
HeadFairy Mon 03-Apr-17 01:05:56

So I'm coming home from a late shift, it's half past midnight and I pull in to an unmanned Asda petrol station round the back of a 24hour store to get some petrol. I notice a young guy in a hoodie standing a few feet away from the pumps, he appears to be on his phone. I fill up and as I finish he comes up to me and asks if I'm able to call him a taxi as his phone has run out of charge and could I call him a taxi. I'm not local so finding a taxi number would have involved me standing there for a few minutes having a look on google, and I wasn't keen. No real reason, he was really apologetic and polite, but I just wasn't keen. There are a few shops around there, so I thought maybe he could walk and see if there was a taxi shop somewhere locally. But now I'm feeling a bit bad that I left him there. So WIBU?

khajiit13 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:09:38

Er eell it's pretty mean spirited. How on earth would that have put you out? If you felt unsafe I'd have just said "sure, I'll do it from the car" sat in my car and done it, with the doors locked.

AprilSkies44 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:10:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BastardBloodAndSand Mon 03-Apr-17 01:13:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YodaBest Mon 03-Apr-17 01:14:07

Listen to your gut.

Too often we are told to be nice, even when we are uncomfortable.

You were uncomfortable and you have acted on that.

Nothing to justify.

I'm sure that lad will get his act together and stop bothering random strangers soon enough, and it may be a lesson that may save him being assaulted in future too.

Don't think about it for another second.

gleam Mon 03-Apr-17 01:15:58

So he could have gone in the 24 hour store instead and used their free taxi phone (our Asda has one) or asked Customer Services to order a taxi, as he was stranded? I don't think they would have refused.

Instead he hangs around a garage and approaches s lone woman. hmm

Wikky Mon 03-Apr-17 01:20:59

I think if you didn't feel comfortable then it was probably the right thing to do.

I wouldn't worry about it. Someone else will pitch up.

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 01:25:22

Could he not have just asked someone in the shop to use a phone?

AndKnowItsSeven Mon 03-Apr-17 01:25:25

Stores aren't open early hours of Monday.

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 01:25:49

When I say someone in the shop, obviously I meant staff.

user1andonly Mon 03-Apr-17 01:36:55

What gleam said. If the Asda is open 24 hours, he can go in there. Makes much more sense to seek help from the store staff than a random stranger.

I wonder why he was at the unmaned petrol pumps if he didn't have a car.

Tbh, I probably wouldn't even have got out of my car to use the pump if there was someone hanging around at midnight.

highinthesky Mon 03-Apr-17 01:38:49

YANBU. Always trust your gut.

Mobile phones at a petrol station? I'd have ordered him to switch it off before you all went up in flames.

avamiah Mon 03-Apr-17 01:41:56

You made a decision OP, who knows if it was right or wrong buy ONLY YOU were there.
In my opinion there is no point to this post unless you are a second year law student and you are gathering information for your end of term paper.

faithinthesound Mon 03-Apr-17 01:43:04

Gavin de Becker talks about this exact kind of thing in his book, The Gift of Fear. Those little doubts, those "I don't feel comfortable" feelings, those are your intuition's warning signs. Your subconscious apparently picks up clues and cues and parses them for danger much quicker than your conscious mind could.

I'm sorry for his troubles, but there were other ways for him to get help that didn't involve approaching a lone woman in the wee hours of the morning. YWNBU.

JonesyAndTheSalad Mon 03-Apr-17 01:46:50

Bastard she is NOT an "arsehole" at all hmm She was naturally nervous.

OP YWNBU.

PovertyPain Mon 03-Apr-17 01:49:32

Why couldn't you have gotten into your car, locked your doors and phoned a taxi? If he meant you any harm, he wouldn't have allowed you to drive away. Bty, my 26yr old wears hoodies, because he has ADD and it helps him feel secure. How would you feel if someone you cared about was left stranded, because his phone lost charge and no one would help him? Yes, trust your feeling, but use some common sense too.

Janey50 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:51:19

What man with any sense approaches a lone woman? You did nothing wrong OP.

RebelRogue Mon 03-Apr-17 01:52:09

You do realise that a 24 h store,even ASDA is not open on a sunday night/monday morning right?

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Mon 03-Apr-17 01:52:15

Well my kids, wouldn't dream of standing in a petrol station, approaching women. They would have more sense, and phone me to pick them up. You absolutely were not being unreasonable OP

PovertyPain Mon 03-Apr-17 01:59:48

phone me to pick them up The young man claimed his battery was flat. Even the 24hr stores are closed until Monday morning, so he may have thought there was more chance of getting help at a petrol station.

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 02:00:57

You do realise that a 24 h store,even ASDA is not open on a sunday night/monday morning right?

Perhaps the OP is in Scotland?

PerspicaciaTick Mon 03-Apr-17 02:04:56

YWNBU.

And this thread is weird.

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 02:06:26

Women just can't win can we?

If we listen to our instincts then we are arseholes, paranoid and tarring all men as predators.

If we ignore our instincts and something happens to us then we are asking for it, putting ourselves in dangerous situations, need to take more responsibility for our personal safety, etc.

hmm

RebelRogue Mon 03-Apr-17 02:08:54

Tbh if he wanted to mug you or assault you he could've done that while you were getting petrol.
I do believe that you could've rang from the car with the doors locked,or after you drove away if you felt in any way threatened or uncomfortable.

If you did it just because you couldn't be bothered then YABU. Wouldn't leave a possibly vulnerable young person with no help in the middle of the night

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 02:12:05

We weren't there. The OP however was.

I'm a firm believer in listening to your instincts.

The last time I ignored my instincts I was raped. Now I always go with my gut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now