Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school lunch box police

(149 Posts)
LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 06:24:34

DDs secondary school has started checking all the packed lunches at registration.
I know lots of secondary school students but sweets and chocolate etc on the way to school but surely at that age It's their choice.

Dd was told off for having too much in her lunch box.

Peanut butter sandwich with brown bread
A small banana
Strawberries
A few grapes
And less than a handful of raisins and dried coconut flakes.

The canteen serves things like sausages and mash ,cake and custard,sandwiches and doughnuts etc. Aibu to think this is unfair ?

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 06:26:45

She also got told off for having a few pieces of sliced up avocado because it's 'unhealthy' hmm

Veterinari Wed 01-Mar-17 06:30:12

Nope and I'd be discussing this with the firm tutor asap. The last thing teenage girls need is encouragement of competitive non-eating!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 01-Mar-17 06:33:38

The catering company have probably seen a drop in profits because they are serving inedible, expensive food and so putting pressure on the school to raise the number of children eating school lunches. I hate it when people with little nutritional knowledge try to meddle, why make a teenage girl think that she is eating too much unless she is overweight and even then I would want it to come from parents/ health professionals. Could she say another time that it includes an after school snack.

KateDaniels2 Wed 01-Mar-17 06:36:19

We tackled this at dds secondary.

They had rules on no chocolate but sold massive cookies, brownies etc.

When we asked for nutritional information on these food's we never got anywhere. Even with the company that made them so we went and saw the head teacher.

It seems ridiculous that you cant give them a fun size milky way but they can buy a triple choc cookie bigger than an adults hand span. Fizzy pop is also banned but they sell cans of flavoured water that just as much sugar in.

It took a few meetings until they relaxed the rules.

picklemepopcorn Wed 01-Mar-17 06:38:14

That's outrageous! Worst case scenario, send with two lunch boxes and only display one! Stupid rules.

MaisyPops Wed 01-Mar-17 06:38:40

Nope. Nope. Nope. It's not school's job to police the detail of lunches.

It might be ok to open a discussion with home if eating patterns raise concerns e.g. obsessive under/overeating buy that should be done by form tutors or pastoral staff.

The only thing I'd be ok with is removing fizzy pop and energy drinks (not allowed at our sch) and telling students that lunch money given by parents is probably not given so thru can eat share bags of crisps and sweeta theu bought at the corner shop instead of getting a proper lunch (sometimes let home know because most parents dont want their kids eating nothing but crap)
That said, once i called home because an 11 year old was drinking 2-3 cans of energy drink in a morning and it was having massive effects on his behaviour and learning. Then home told me they're happy about him having it because otherwise he'd be tired hecause he's up on his xbox til the early hours. Still told it would be removed because its not allowed at school and home accused the school of ruining his learning!

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 06:39:20

That sounds insane. That sort of behaviour is more likely to do harm than good, isn't it?

I would definitely complain. To your DD is old enough to self-regulate her food intake.

Mrsemcgregor Wed 01-Mar-17 06:41:00

I would be tempted to give DD a well reasoned letter to keep in her lunch box. Outlining the hypocrisy between lunch box rules and school lunches which are sold.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 01-Mar-17 06:41:07

I would have an issue with someone teaching my child that avocado is unhealthy.

For fuck's sake. hmm

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 01-Mar-17 06:42:08

OP does the person who told off your daughter have any relevant qualifications? I bet they don't. That lunch sounds perfectly healthy and it's dangerous to plant nutritional misinformation in the minds of teenage girls. Don't they have anything better to do??

pillowcase6 Wed 01-Mar-17 06:42:10

Completely ridiculous. Most likely a classic case of a well-intentioned policy being implemented without imagination.

Toottootcar Wed 01-Mar-17 06:48:43

I'm amazed she was allowed a peanut butter sandwich. I haven't known a school allow peanuts for a long time.

sofiainwonderland Wed 01-Mar-17 06:50:54

I find your DD's lunch box extremely varied and healthy. What a good job that she also eats fruit, avocado etc. Jesus... screw 'em

RitaConnors Wed 01-Mar-17 06:52:23

They are in secondary. Allowed peanuts. My dd is anaphylactic to peanuts. It's up to her to be careful.

I'd want to know how they are qualified to judge these packed lunches.

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 06:52:56

It's the form tutors that go round and take notes of what needs to be improved in lunch boxes.

To an above poster , dd is nowhere near overweight and even if she was,surely it's not up to the form tutour to be telling her she has too much lunch in front of the class.

I will try sending in a strongly worded note with DDs lunch today.

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 06:54:27

Yes they're allowed nuts,dd always asks her friends and the people around her if they're allergic to nuts just incase.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 01-Mar-17 06:54:29

Sounds like they have decided to try and educate pupils about healthy eating - but yet have dived in without any real knowledge and thought.

I like the idea from the poster above emailing and asking that in light of their policing lunch you'd like a complete nutritional breakdown of all foods sold in the canteen so you can make an informed choice with regards DD lunch.

Then when they refuse or can't send in the nutritional information for what DD eats wiyh a list from Internet of usual nutritional content of something she's likely to be able to get as a meal from canteen.

then tell them to fuck off!

My Ds has a fairly good lunch IMO - (tuna/cumcumber roll, packet of cookies, chicken bits, cucumber and carrots).
He's starving again by the time he gets home!

Reow Wed 01-Mar-17 06:55:28

Form tutor sounds like a jobsworth and a bit of a moron.

Avo is unhealthy??? She sounds like a silly cow.

SuperBeagle Wed 01-Mar-17 06:57:01

I'd tell them to piss all the way off to Antarctica.

That's just insane.

NormaSmuff Wed 01-Mar-17 06:57:36

that is too much. in secondary school they should stop all this nannying.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 01-Mar-17 07:01:51

Hang on, I'd talk to the school before you send amything in. The lunch sounds perfectly healthy, so it seems pretty unbelievably a teacher would have an issue with it.
I'd want to hear the schools version of events before I said anything, in case my DD was tactically missing out that there was also 4 mars bars in there!

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 07:16:10

I will speak to the form tutor and see what was said but it's not like my dd to make this up.

We got a letter before half term to say there will be lunch checks to promote healthy eating.
Dd is vegan so apart from fruit and veg,the school offer nothing that she can eat.

FrenchLavender Wed 01-Mar-17 07:27:59

She also got told off for having a few pieces of sliced up avocado because it's 'unhealthy' hmm

WTF? Are you serious? shock

What planet have they been on for the last 15 years?

youarenotkiddingme Wed 01-Mar-17 07:28:35

Well if she's vegan it's very unlikely she has bars of chocolate hidden in there!

FrenchLavender Wed 01-Mar-17 07:30:47

I think I'd be sending a short and to the point letter saying that anyone who doubts the dietary benefits of avocado has no place being allowed to be the lunchbox police anyway as they clearly no jack shit about food and nutrition and you'd really appreciate if they'd mind their own business and stick to teaching people what they actually know about and not what they don't.

FrenchLavender Wed 01-Mar-17 07:31:05

know not no!

RubyWinterstorm Wed 01-Mar-17 07:32:41

That's madness OP!

Stellar67 Wed 01-Mar-17 07:34:49

I wonder if the person doling out advice does slimming world as my SW friend gave me hassle for having avocado as it's full of fat. Had to explain good fats to her. Peanut butter is in the same camp. Although our local authority schools won't allow peanut butter because of allergies.
I'd be asking for the lunchbox police person to be reeducated...

kalinkafoxtrot45 Wed 01-Mar-17 07:36:34

That seriously oversteps the mark. I'd be sending in a note telling them to mind their own business. Surely at secondary there are better things for the teachers to concern themselves with. Plus, any teacher saying avocado is unhealthy is not fit to dispense nutritional advice.

Deathraystare Wed 01-Mar-17 07:55:12

Dd was told off for having too much in her lunch box.

Peanut butter sandwich with brown bread
A small banana
Strawberries
A few grapes
And less than a handful of raisins and dried coconut flakes.

Sounds fine to me (but am not a mum - just what I would have liked to eat at that age though I had school dinners). I think most kids need a good lunch or they are very hungry in the afternoon. Perhaps the 'expert' who told you she had too much and that avocado was unhealthy can explain themselves??!!!!

Rixera Wed 01-Mar-17 08:47:52

Oh yes, the best thing to tell a teenaged girl is that she should eat less hmm
This is ridiculous, I hope your DD holds her ground on her admirably balanced lunch.

Funnyface1 Wed 01-Mar-17 08:53:02

It is annoying. My son is only 6 but I still think it's far fetched. He was on packed lunches and there were all sorts of rules regarding what chocolate, biscuits, buns etc they couldn't have. Now he's on school dinners he has all sorts of buns and cakes for pudding, it's very hypocritical.

dentydown Wed 01-Mar-17 09:51:11

I wonder if the person who told your daughter off for the avocado was following a slimming club. Slimming world have demonised the avocado! (I was shocked to find out that 3 curly wurlys are the same syns as an avocado)

mumeeee Wed 01-Mar-17 10:11:53

OP that lunch seems perfectly fine for a teenage girl. Whoever told her Avocados are unhealthy need to get their facts right..
Avocados are good for you.
I would speak to the school about the policing of the lunch boxes and bring up the fact that they sell unhealthy stuff for school lunches

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 10:23:39

I have spoken to the school . The form tutor flagged up avocado for fat and the quantity of lunch as too much .

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Wed 01-Mar-17 10:56:14

The form tutor would have a fit then if they saw what my 7 and 10 years olds have when they manage to harass me into letting them have packed lunch for a day.
A salami and salad harvester roll (slightly smaller than a baguette), a normal size yoghurt, a tub of strawberries, grapes and raspberries, a packet of crisps, a small chocolate bar, 2 homemade pancakes and a hot pepperami.

I've had to tell them to just take out what they want for break time and the rest can be lunch/home.
We eat big meals here. Pretty healthy and mostly home cooked from scratch. All 3 kids are skinny as hell. They've also only missed three days of school between them (out of 6 and 3 years worth of schooling) so let the school try and have a go at me feeding my kids! I'd not be long with em.

I would send a note in with your DD. Something along the lines of "Mind your own damned business!"

The teacher obviously knows nowt about the nutritional needs of growing teens.

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Wed 01-Mar-17 10:58:59

Too much? I'd eat all that twice over,and she's still growing.

Tell them to keep their beaks out of your kids lunch box.

FrenchLavender Wed 01-Mar-17 11:02:57

3 curly wurlys are the same syns as an avocado

It's really quite scary that an organisation so influential in supposedly 'teaching' people about what is good and bad for their health and their weight loss should put an avocado in the same category of 'sin' as 3 Curly Wurlies.

As for the term tutor flagging up the avocado for fat content, your DD is a vegan, where the hell is she supposed to get her healthy fats from then? hmm

Honestly, this lunch policing is getting beyond a joke, I'd be absolutely fucking FURIOUS.

redexpat Wed 01-Mar-17 11:20:36

Now I want 3 curly wurlies and an avocado.

gleegeek Wed 01-Mar-17 11:33:28

shockshockshock that's outrageous! I've no problem with secondary schools promoting the healthy eating message eg crisps, energy drinks, Mars bars etc not great choices but quantity is no business of theirs! Particularly in public. Got a problem, tactfully contact the parent. I see eating disorders round the corner if they keep that up.
Dd is a complicated eater. She eats like a bird 80% of the time, then goes through raging hungry stages where she eats everything in sight, grows 2 inches and stops eating much again. I'd be very cross if school meddle as it seems to be her natural eating style.
I agree it sounds like a backhanded way of trying to convert the dc to school dinners. Your dds lunch sounds great!

Oblomov17 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:34:52

shock this is outrageous.

Spikeyball Wed 01-Mar-17 11:42:33

I expect the form tutors have been to do this and most of them won't want to do it. As a form tutor I would only be commenting if a child had a lunch box full of chocolate bars or crisps.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 13:05:10

So food isn't allowed to have fat in it now? That is outrageous.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 13:07:08

And they are policing how MUCH she eats? No. I am all for rules but that is not their business. Strongly worded email, letter in lunch box, instructions to your DD not to hand over her lunch for inspection. Failing that, complaint to governors.

RiversrunWoodville Wed 01-Mar-17 13:14:45

As you feel qualified to police my vegan teenage dds food choices, risking issues with self esteem and eating disorders I would be most grateful for a copy of your Food Safety and Nutrition in Health and Social Care Certificate or is it on display in the school notice board?

Sulis87 Wed 01-Mar-17 13:17:50

That is beyond bizarre. I can only assume the staff member involved has an unhealthy relationship with food - clearly this person should not be policing anyone else's lunch.

eddiemairswife Wed 01-Mar-17 13:18:45

And I was planning to have avocado salad this evening.sad

eurochick Wed 01-Mar-17 13:22:51

This would give me the rage. I do wish schools would stick to teaching rather than branching out into lifestyle policing.

Eolian Wed 01-Mar-17 13:28:17

Absolutely fucking outrageous. How DARE they serve cookies and cake and then have the nerve to tell you that avocado is unhealthy. This gives me the serious rage. The more people give schools hell for this, the more likely it will stop happening. Avocado unhealthy shockangry.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 13:32:53

Sulis87: I wouldn't assume that. If it is school policy it will be nothing to do with the tutor.

icepop9000 Wed 01-Mar-17 13:35:32

We not allowed peanut butter due to allergies. Yes avocados are always singled out but it monounsaturated fats which are better for you.( Which is wise the traffic light system on foods is pointless imo)
I think they are fab lunch for a Vegan.

Just as an added point is your daughter taking vegan suppler for B12. It an important nutrient for teens.

twocockers Wed 01-Mar-17 13:41:30

Is it just me or does that look a really well balanced dinner? How do they suggest she improves it??

IamFriedSpam Wed 01-Mar-17 13:50:26

The school can't possibly know how much is too much lunch for an individual child. Kids are growing, sometimes do sport after school, have a big lunch and small dinner or are just hungry bastards. Unless this is a prison camp or she's bringing in ludicrous large amounts then it's not for the school to dictate quantity. The avocado thing is also plain stupid. I'd definitely be complaining - especially since they serve crap in the lunch hall anyway.

troodiedoo Wed 01-Mar-17 13:50:42

As someone who who follows a low ish carb diet and has a vegan daughter that lunch sounds practically perfect to me on all nutrition counts.

I'd be pretty mad about that, and I'm usually supportive of school decisions, even the ones that make no sense.

flumpybear Wed 01-Mar-17 14:00:42

Avocado is GOOD fat ffs!!! We NEED fat in our diet

The lunch box is perfect, perhaps a little for break time and a healthy lunch!!! In fact I'd have been inclined to put something else in to be honest like a yoghurt ... but perhaps not for a vegan (unless it was suitable!)

That is never too much for a growing child!!! I'd be making a fuss and ffs what about t her own image, talk about potential trigger for eating disorder problems!!!

TheLittlePaperbagPrincess Wed 01-Mar-17 14:03:36

Sounds like they have no idea about a vegan diet. IME vegans need to eat a bit more by "volume" (but not calories) because meat and dairy products are relatively "dense" foods.

All that aside, that kind of intervention is just a recipe for eating disorders.

And anyway, IT'S NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUSINESS.

Sulis87 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:06:50

Fair enough, Trifleorbust. I was halfway through my avocado salad when I read this and it gave me the rage.

Floggingmolly Wed 01-Mar-17 14:07:22

Was it a one off as part of a lecture on healthy eating? I don't believe any secondary school has the time or inclination to hold daily inspections of each pupil's lunchbox, I really, really don't.
Bet she's misunderstood.

BeMorePanda Wed 01-Mar-17 14:15:56

I'd be concerned that people this ignorant are teaching my child.
The avocado thing is ridiculous. Well the whole scenario is ridiculous.

theonlygeorgie Wed 01-Mar-17 14:21:39

No, YANBU!!!! How dare they say it's "too much", WTF are they thinking?? I would be raising with the Head of Year or Head.

user1486737884 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:27:48

Good grief, how do they have time for that nonsense.
Completely agree with Vetinari about competative undereating.
Reminds me of my dd's first science class in year 7, they weighed each other and logged results.
You can imagine what that lead to...hmm
Bloody idiots.

madein1995 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:55:17

This type of thing makes me so mad angry I was obsessed with my weight as a teen, obsessed with losing weight (when I was perfectly healthy) and for a short while existed off one meal a day and ran myself ragged in the gym. And that was without anyone telling me I was eating too much. Teenagers (especially girls) have so much pressure to have a 'perfect' figure what with social media, peer pressure and airbrushed celebrities in magazines, without teachers telling them they are eating too much. Teenagers are still growing - they should eat until they are satisfied, not until some randomer decides they've had 'enough' food. That teacher is no doubt planting the seeds of doubt of self doubt and insecurity which is some girls could have such a negative effect angry
I'd be against the checking packed lunches in any case. It's humiliating, and I really can't see how the teachers have the time. How embarassing, I'm thinking how I would have felt in that situation in school and I'd have been mortified. If I were you, OP, I'd be complaining to the school. I understand the school not selling fizzy pop, or chocolate bars (although cakes and pasties are fine...) but they cant realistically police what kids take in, not at that age. I can imagine lots of angry parents complaining, I know I would!

By the way that lunch sounds absolutely fine. Even if your dd wasn't vegan, I would still say fine. One main (sandwich) followed by fruit and veg (is avocado a fruit or veg). And as for labelling avocado 'bad', well. I do slimming world and yes avocado is synned but anyone can tell it's going to satisfy you more than the chocolate and is a lot more nutritious. And any 'good' or 'bad' labelling or diets shouldn't be mentioned in front of teenagers that age anyway. Disgraceful.

madein1995 Wed 01-Mar-17 15:01:40

I remember weighing and measuring and checking bmi in comp too, not meant to be embarrasing but rather a 'group' thing hmm We were in year 9 and I personally didn't mind (was dieting at this point and so just at the lower end of being a healthy weight) but I remember some of my friends being quite upset afterwards. Which then led to bullying whereby the boys went round the class pointing at each girl and saying 'normal' or 'fat' to them angry
I think secondary schools don't think at all. And another bugbear of mine (from my own schooldays) was the banning of all chocolate/cakes/cookies at breaks yet selling pizza slices as big as the ones at greggs at break, or pasties and pies! Probably more rubbish in those than the cookies.

Lostmysignal Wed 01-Mar-17 15:03:51

Good grief!! I'd be raging about that! As previous posters have said it's a perfect way to encourage eating disorders. That lunch sounds amazing. Definitely I'd be having a word with someone at least to find out why they thought it was OK to even suggest that to your daughter!

Lottapianos Wed 01-Mar-17 15:05:46

'I do wish schools would stick to teaching rather than branching out into lifestyle policing'

I am all in favour of schools 'policing' children's health and well being - its part of their role ( see example upthread about young person drinking 2-3 energy drinks every morning and parents refusing to do anything about it). However, telling a young person off for eating avocado is beyond ridiculous! Same level of bonkers as the nursery I read about on here which banned fruit (FRUIT!) in children's lunchboxes because of all the sugar hmm I mean, seriously. FFS.

OP, your daughter's lunch sounds fab. Like I say, all in favour of schools monitoring health, but not when there are misguided fools doing the monitoring, and when the school canteen is serving up utter crap at lunchtime

Bestthingever Wed 01-Mar-17 15:29:58

If secondary schools care so much about healthy lunches, they should start with the canteens. Is there are secondary school in the country that doesn't sell chips every day and massive cookies and brownies. If I was PM for the day, I'd pass a law giving each secondary school pupil a free piece of fruit every day.

AmeliaLeopard Wed 01-Mar-17 15:38:37

Please complain to the head of year. If the form tutor is really that useless you won't get anywhere by directly tackling her. If it is a policy from above that she has no choice in the HoY is the person who may be able to change things.

diaimchlo Wed 01-Mar-17 15:46:27

YANBU
I would definitely approach the school over this.

These are children that are going through massive changes in their physical and emotional welfare. Policing lunch boxes in registration is inappropriate for a start and will be demeaning to the pupils. This could lead to some of them suffering eating disorders being the age they are.

The school should invest their time in educating and giving them informed choices on their eating habits not show them up!

LoupGarou Wed 01-Mar-17 15:49:01

And they are policing how MUCH she eats? No. I am all for rules but that is not their business. Strongly worded email, letter in lunch box, instructions to your DD not to hand over her lunch for inspection. Failing that, complaint to governors.

This ^^. I would be absolutely raging and would at the very least want an apology admitting he/she was wrong to your DD from the tutor.

wineusuallyhelps Wed 01-Mar-17 15:49:06

This makes me so cross. Especially at their age when they might get food/body issues.

Your DD's lunchbox makes my DS's look huge! But he does sport and is growing at a rate of knots. He is slim and constantly hungry.

It's not 'cool' to eat fruit and veg at school, so he has 3 x fruit and 2 x veg per day at home.

In his lunchbox are 2 x rolls or sandwiches involving lettuce; crisps, cereal bar and cheese/fridge raiders/something involving protein. Nothing particularly healthy.

So looking at his lunch, you would assume he eats unhealthily all the time. But he doesn't if you look at it over the whole day. We have to compromise on what he eats in front of his friends hmm

If he chooses from the school canteen he can have chips, giant pretzel, giant cookie, can of Coke and so on. His secondary school hasn't commented on lunch boxes yet, but if they do, I will tell them exactly what I think of their plethora of carb-ridden, sugar-ridden crap grin

Ragwort Wed 01-Mar-17 15:54:28

Shocking - I have never heard of secondary schools policing lunch boxes. They wouldn't like my DS's - it's usually a nutella sandwich and a few oreo biscuits grin. It used to be a Ginster's pasty until he went off them.

Thornyrose7 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:26:31

I am enraged on your behalf OP. I would complain. If you don't get it resolved you can go to the governors.

Andrewofgg Wed 01-Mar-17 16:34:35

Put a note in her lunchbox addressed to "the staff at X School"

I have approved this lunchbox for my daughter (name) and she is to allowed to have it

TNS about this.

HighwayDragon1 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:35:13

I'm a form tutor and have had words with a parent about what their daughter was eating at lunch. A whole can of pringles and a big share bag of chocolate buttons, turns out she'd got them from the shop on the way to school with her dinner money...

bigearsthethird Wed 01-Mar-17 16:38:02

This really annoys me. Its the same here the canteen sells all sorts of unhealthy crap. If the school sells it or serves it they should not be policing packed lunches. Its none of their business anyway what my kids eat.

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 16:53:13

Thank you all for the responses

Dd didn't misunderstand what was said yesterday.

I called the school and told the reception staff I wanted to find out was said about DDs lunch and they called me back to tell me what the form tutor said.
I haven't spoken to the form tutor or head of year yet as I wanted time to think about what to say.

There was lunch inspection today and no comments were made about DDs lunch, I was tempted to send her in with some avocado again to see what would happen but didn't.

Above poster,dd gets all the vitamins she needs including b12 and has never had any problems after years of being vegan.

Should I write a strongly worded note or speak to the head of year/senior member of staff?

lalalalyra Wed 01-Mar-17 17:03:19

If schools want to police lunch boxes in a bid to promote healthy eating then they need to train their staff properly. Especially in a high school.

A friend of mine had a row with the school after they removed hummus and guacamole (both homemade) and breadsticks from her DD, who is seriously limited by allergies, and sent her a note telling her that "dunkable type dips are not a suitable lunch". They gave the DD macaroni cheese instead.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 01-Mar-17 17:07:34

I think they also forget lots of teenage children in secondary school walk to school (1-2 miles), then home again and also do PE a few times a week and many do sports after school too.

My Ds walks the last mile to school, he has break at 11 and lunch at 1. He eats the carbs/protein at 11 and veg sticks at 1. He then walk 1-2 miles home depending on my work hours. Today it's 2 miles. He's just had tuna pasta and an apple and will train at swimming pool 6-7.
He then has protein and more fruit/veg after. He also had PE today.

Yes, at 12 yo he will eat more today than I will. But I'll only do half hour excercise this evening compared to him.
School are obviously not thinking properly about healthy eating as part of a whole lifestyle choice.

Majorgoodwinschickenbeatstrump Wed 01-Mar-17 17:07:48

I'm a form tutor and much to my shame couldn't even tell you which kids have sandwiches confusedblushI can't believe schools have the time to do this... the only time I would actually care would be if I suspected a child had no dinner money/ brought a very meager lunch from home. Then I'd be acting out of concern.

OurBlanche Wed 01-Mar-17 17:18:58

If/when you speak to them again ask them this one question:

"As DD is vegan, what do you suggest she eat in order to ensure adequate uptake of vitamins ADE and K?"

If there answer does not include something as 'loaded' with fat as that avocado, tell them to fuck off!

If they are going to moan about 'fatty' foods they absolutely must know about fat soluble vitamins. Basically, you know you are right, tutor is wrong, so don't change and keep challenging!

Unrulymacaroon1 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:25:03

not sure how old your DD is but that seems ridiculous to me, my son is 5 & very skinny & would be starving if that was all he had for lunch, he eats a lot of food but runs it all off. I'm dreading the pack lunch police when he gets older I'm sure I will end up arguing with them

terrylene Wed 01-Mar-17 17:44:02

My kids used to have a box with a decent sandwich (varied), a packet of value crisps, kit kat and an apple and a bottle of water (refilled). It had to survive the cycle ride/walk to school, hot weather, fit in the bag with all the books and not be too heavy.

No way would it pass the mad lunch police of today. What is the point of micromanaging a single meal that has to fit so many other requirements. It is just something to get you through the day between breakfast and dinner. It is the whole day and lifestyle that come together, not an individual bit of food in one lunch box.

Mine used to get a good evening meal with plenty veg at home and none of them had a weight problem. No snacks and junk between meals - plenty fruit and bananas. I was plagued with people telling me I was too thin as a youngster and would have found so many opinions on my lunch to be a very negative influence. I just ate what I was given and really enjoyed my food (still do grin )

That sounds like a really good lunch to me. I would definitely challenge the school on why they are doing this and what the basis for decisions is and what qualifications they all have in nutrition.

I would have thought the biggest problem would be the ones who skip meals entirely and the ones who have crisps and pop and chocolate.

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 18:21:16

Help me write a letter to DDs from tutor. They'res been some good examples above so thank you

LemonDrizzleDisco Wed 01-Mar-17 19:05:05

thunderbuddy Wed 01-Mar-17 19:10:55

Urgh I would not be having this, dc1s school serve awful food.
Many of the teen girls in dc1s year are already not eating at lunch without making a huge fuss about foodsad

Monkeychopsticks Wed 01-Mar-17 19:13:01

I would be writing "Thank you for for your concern about dds lunchbox, but I'm quite happy about the food and the quantity she eats. Any issues regarding her lunch should be addressed to me." Or just "please fuck the fuck off!"
Whichever works, I'd go for the latter myself.

Grah0SoontobeaFatty Wed 01-Mar-17 20:09:04

Other option is to put a note in the sandwich box advocating that if the "CHECKER" is not a legal/ certified professional trained to give nutritional advice to your dd matching her medical condition you will be suing the school for doing so.

( note medical condition is a healthy young Vegan but they don't need to know that, as its between her and her doctor.)

CurlyhairedAssassin Wed 01-Mar-17 20:17:34

The school will probably be going for some healthy schools quality mark or some such crap. Complete lack of common sense. I work in a secondary school and this would be laughed out if school by the form teachers as well as the kids and their parents.

BlurryFace Wed 01-Mar-17 20:43:46

Jesus, that's out of line. When I went to state secondary school in the noughties we had no cooked meals, a vending machine full of coke cans, a vending machine full of chocolates and crisps and a line for pupils with pot noodles to get them topped up from the kettle by a member of staff. God knows what your dd's teacher would make of that!

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Wed 01-Mar-17 20:46:23

It's like getting into prison/psychiatric hospital to see a relative!

I remember having a home made cake tested, which naively I thought might be a nice touch for my brother and his nurses. Har har har.

Ghodavies Wed 01-Mar-17 20:51:37

My daughter is 12 and swims 8 sessions a week as a competitive swimmer (quite a good one).
This would be a starter for her and wouldn't touch the sides.
Not to mention the ridiculousness of making a youngster aware of eating too much and risking an eating disorder!!
I'd ask to speak to the schools welfare officer and voice your concern over making assumptions about amounts that children eat and flagging up potential eating problems!!
Don't even get me started on the bloody avacado ffs!!

BarbarianMum Wed 01-Mar-17 20:52:29

Gosh, I was wondering how your dd keeps going all day on so little. Both my sons would eat all that, and cheese and crackers and a piece of cake and they're only 11 and 9 (and very slim).

DelphineCormier Wed 01-Mar-17 20:54:39

That would have sent me even further into restrictive eating territory. Fight them all the fucking way op.

greathat Wed 01-Mar-17 20:57:14

WTF? I teach in secondary, can not imagine having the time to do this! I have no clue what my tutor group eat, nor do I care (as long as they aren't starving)

DelphineCormier Wed 01-Mar-17 20:57:20

I would work out the approx calorie content of her lunch today and ask for a gage as to how many calories are in the school dinners. Ask what they recommend she have instead. Point out that vegan diets are typically lower calorie, therefore vegans need to eat more. I would also be tempted to mention dd is starting to get anxious about her weight. Doesn't have to be true but it will shut them up instantly. No one wants to be blamed for anorexia in teens.

TitaniasCloset Wed 01-Mar-17 20:58:54

I'm not sure what to write in the letter, but you definitely need ti take this further. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her lunch and avocados are perfectly healthy, plus all the issues around shaming teenage girls food choices that pp have mentioned. I would want to know the qualifications of the teacher criticising the lunch boxes too. Teenage girls need fat in their diets, they are still growing for gods sakes and by no means was that too much food for an active teen. Teacher sounds like a dopy nut job.

bunnylove99 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:03:32

I would be telling the head teacher that unless said form tutor also happens to be a registered dietician then they are in no way qualified to be commenting on your DDs lunch and should refrain from doing so.

LemonDrizzleDisco Thu 02-Mar-17 06:17:44

Sending dd in with this :

Dear Mrs _

Unless you are able to provide the nutritional information of school dinners or an alternative to avocado,LittleLemon who is vegan , I will not be changing what she has for lunch. I would appreciate if you do not make comments on LittleLemons healthy lunch because telling a teenage girl that she has 'too much' lunch is far from healthy.

Many thanks

Lemon

LemonDrizzleDisco Thu 02-Mar-17 06:48:51

Should say for Little Lemon who is Vegan *

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »