Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit sad that my DH didn't get me a card or birthday present?

(16 Posts)
19lottie82 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:33:09

It was my birthday yesterday and my DH didn't get me a card or a present.

I know my birthday is the worst day ever to have a birthday as it's the day before payday after Christmas, but he gets a few dribs and drabs from homers midweek.

I'm not the easiest person to buy a"proper gift" for, I usually tell him what to buy me for xmas etc but equally he knows that I love stupid cheap gifts too like stupid soft toys blush.

I even thought he might have appeared with something today (payday) but he was working late, although he could have easily stopped off at the 24 hour Asda after work.

I'm not sure if I'm being a bit of a princess but I always make the effort for his birthday, so I feel a bit hurt. Last year I got him a fit bit and a Paul Smith polo shirt.

He's not a bad DH in general I just think he could have put a bit of effort / forward planning in here!

19lottie82 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:34:30

He says he will "take me in to town at the weekend and let me choose something", but tbh I would have rather he had gone to the card factory and got me a card and a stupid £3 present.

mintthins Tue 31-Jan-17 23:35:41

YANBU. Have some flowers

mintthins Tue 31-Jan-17 23:36:09

Sorry and happy birthday. 🍷

Only1scoop Tue 31-Jan-17 23:36:45

YANBU at all
Happy birthday

LineysRun Tue 31-Jan-17 23:36:59

Yeah that's a bit crap if he knows you feel like that.

19lottie82 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:37:31

Thank you smile. I wasn't even that bothered yesterday but feeling a bit down in the dumps about the whole thing today for some reason.
He has quite a lot on at the moment so not sure if I'm being a bitch or not.
As I said, I always make the effort but I don't know if I'm just different.

Rainydayspending Tue 31-Jan-17 23:39:05

He could surely have managed a card and making a favourite meal or such if finances are tight. My suggestion to him would be to buy your gift in the post Christmas shopping/ sale frenzy. I always do for the birthdays up to March!
flowers and happy birthday cake

19lottie82 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:40:35

We did go out for a meal with my DM and DStepF but they paid, so it wasn't like the occasion was totally un marked.

FastWindow Tue 31-Jan-17 23:43:24

It's a bit shit isn't it. My dh gets me nothing, Christmas birthday whatever. I'm getting used to getting myself something from him but it makes you feel a bit crap putting any effort into his special day or Xmas. Men confused

EastMidsMummy Tue 31-Jan-17 23:45:09

It's mean and awful. And it's not "men", it's this man.

phoolani Tue 31-Jan-17 23:48:48

If he knows you'd like something to celebrate your birthday, it's crap he didn't get anything. I expect something from DP on my birthday even though I don't generally celebrate it. He knows that and always gets me something.

ChocoChou Tue 31-Jan-17 23:49:20

Sorry OP, what a let down.

Have you spoken to him about it? Does he know it upsets you? If so he's double the amount of fecker

winecakeflowers for you. Happy birthday

DJBaggySmalls Tue 31-Jan-17 23:51:16

Happy Birthday cake chocolate wine

19lottie82 Tue 31-Jan-17 23:54:04

Yeah I did mention it to him earlier, he looked a bit upset that I was upset IYKWIM and said he would take me shopping at the weekend but I'm just a bit sad he didn't make the gesture with a pound card.

He's not a bad guy and as I said he's had a lot on the last couple of weeks so I don't want to seem like a princess and I know if the tables were turned he wouldn't be that bothered......

ChocoChou Wed 01-Feb-17 00:07:19

You can tell him he can make it up to you on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day (if you have DC..?) , midsummers day, Halloween, Hanukkah and Christmas wink
Sometimes men really have to have it spelt out for them. Pfft. My DH was terrible but I've gradually mounded him into shape and was pleasantly surprised at Christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now