Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

...to feel depressed that only 7% of UK identify as Feminist?

(1000 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Sun 18-Dec-16 18:30:01

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2016/01/we-are-a-nation-of-hidden-feminists/

7% of the population and just 9% of women in this country identify as feminist. I'm not saying that everyone should call themselves feminist, I care more about what people do, rather than the label they assign themselves. But I am sad that the number is so low.

Given that most people believe in sexual equality, why do so many people not feel comfortable to call themselves feminist? And what (if anything) can we do about it?

whyohwhy000 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:31:28

I think it's more important that a higher percentage believe in feminism.

Boundaries Sun 18-Dec-16 18:33:30

It is depressing, Dione.

Feminist has been thrown at me as an insult, though. So I don't find the stats surprising.

FourEyesGood Sun 18-Dec-16 18:34:32

That is utterly depressing.

But I think you're being rather naive when you say that "most people believe in sexual equality" - that's simply not the case. Most people believe in not treating women like shit, but even lots of women believe that men are inherently superior. It sure what can be done, other than continuing to educate where possible.

dementedma Sun 18-Dec-16 18:36:42

I think people are wary of being labelled feminist because of the perception that all feminists are of the strident variety who go nuts if someone calls them girl or love.
I believe in equality but am not going to get my knickers in a knot because someone calls me love. So I don't say I'm a feminist.

EagleIsland Sun 18-Dec-16 18:38:57

I think the label has a stereotype assigned to it which people want to steer clear of.

I agree with the principles it's promoting but would never call myself a feminist.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 18-Dec-16 18:39:41

being as some feminists believe that men can't be feminists (only allies) its not surprising that the percentage of men identifying as feminist is small.

PenguinsandPebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 18:39:59

I wouldn't label myself as a feminist, I am a very strong believer in equality and I am a humanist.

I do not believe that men are inherently superior to women, I also do not believe that women are inherently superior to men.

I do actually think feminism is mostly misunderstood and that is not helped given the fact there are many different types of feminism. I would not want to be associated with some of the more radical views and therefore count myself as someone who believe in equality.

Sybys Sun 18-Dec-16 18:41:01

Not that I imagine it makes a huge difference to the numbers, but as a male I used to call my self a feminist until reading several articles telling me men couldn't be feminists.

So whilst I still believe in feminism and would call myself an ally, I'm less inclined to say that I identify as a feminist.

If I'm honest, I don't particularly like not being able to call myself one, but I don't feel it's really my place to start dictating otherwise!

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 18-Dec-16 18:42:00

According to the survey Four, 67% of people believed in equality. Which is pretty abysmal.sad

YoScienceBitch Sun 18-Dec-16 18:43:52

I'm a feminist but wouldn't use the label. I don't want to be associated with some of the people who do call themselves feminists. Especially on this forum.

HiDBandSIL Sun 18-Dec-16 18:45:32

It's because so few people know the meaning of the word.

Osolea Sun 18-Dec-16 18:48:13

I can't speak for anyone else on why they don't identify as feminist, but the reason I don't, despite believing in equality, is that feminism promotes women, not equality in my mind. I realise that many disagree with that, but I suspect many feel as i do too.

There are lots of ways that humanity needs more equality, and it's really not all that bad being a white woman in the uk in 2016, so personally, it's not a battle I feel the need to fight.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sun 18-Dec-16 18:51:54

Hmm, the stats on feminism I can believe - as a pp said it's due to a lot of misunderstanding over what feminism entails.
But 33% of people are openly stating they don't believe in equality? I find that difficult to believe, unless the questions were oddly phrased with that intent in mind.
Most people will say they believe in equality, even if sometimes their ideals ir actions don't match up with that.

NotStoppedAllDay Sun 18-Dec-16 18:52:05

With so many different cultures and beliefs in this country it does not surprise me one bit!

Nataleejah Sun 18-Dec-16 18:52:15

Every modern women is a feminist, identifying or not.
Sadly, the concept of feminism has been hijacked by all this 'gender' ideology nonsense, that makes a lot of people want to puke.

FantasticBeasts Sun 18-Dec-16 18:54:07

What demented said.

I expect the same treatment as the next person, male or female, but I don't identify as a feminist. I am married to someone who expects the same for me as I do (he is working towards encouraging females into a particularly male dominated field).

I remember reading somewhere that 'Feminism had become less of a positive movement and was heading towards a negative attitude' or something like that. Sort of sums up how I feel about it tbh.

Diemme Sun 18-Dec-16 18:54:36

I don't really see myself as a feminist and yes, it is a lot to do with the stereotype. If 'what can be done about it' was a genuine question to which you're prepared to accept honest suggestions, then as a starting point I'd say address the attitude which was thrown at the OP on a previous thread. She admitted, albeit a bit clumsily, that she disagreed with a lot of feminist arguments and suddenly she's being accused of not caring about rape or domestic violence!

Boundaries Sun 18-Dec-16 18:58:36

Diemme - is that the thread currently running? If so, that's a bit of a misrepresentation. If not, apologies.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 18-Dec-16 19:00:55

When women believe in equality for women, but are too ashamed to call themselves feminist, yes its sad. For me, it shows how well the hate campaign against women is working.

SoggyDays Sun 18-Dec-16 19:01:31

I no longer would say I am a feminist and MN has helped clarify this!

RestlessTraveller Sun 18-Dec-16 19:05:54

Anyone who knows me would and does call me a feminist. I don't call myself one and this is because of mumsnet. I read the feminist threads on here and wouldn't consider myself the same as some of the people on there.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 18-Dec-16 19:06:59

You dont have to be the same to call yourself a feminist.
You just have to believe you are not a second class citizen.

Diemme Sun 18-Dec-16 19:07:59

boundaries it is still running. I'm not going to read all 35 pages of it but going by the posts at 01.34 today I'm confident that my representation is pretty accurate.

GravyAndShite Sun 18-Dec-16 19:08:11

You're depressed about someone else's political affiliation...

Depressed. hmm

I used to think I was a feminist until the mn militants made me decide never to identify that way again. I believe in humanity. It 'depresses' me that more people don't not really I'm quite happy but I liked to make the we link in my comment!

This thread is not accepting new messages.