Talk

Advanced search

Children in need auctions on radio 2

(104 Posts)
AngelSparks Thu 12-Nov-15 08:30:04

This is so annoying

Chris Evans trying to get people to bid for experiences, that most of us don't have a chance of having the money for

One item went for £280,000!!!!
That would buy my house! !!

Tapirs Thu 12-Nov-15 08:35:52

If other people can afford it then good for them. And good for the children that the charity supports. I usually have the radio on in the car on my way to work but this week I'm using the time to learn a song I've been wanting to learn for ages. Pointless getting wound up about it.

AngelSparks Thu 12-Nov-15 08:37:13

It's annoying as that's all they are talking about

It's boring

Tapirs Thu 12-Nov-15 08:47:40

Well you know you have choices about what to listen to. You can either carry on and feel miserable or switch it off for a week. You certainly won't change it or stop it happening.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Thu 12-Nov-15 08:56:45

It's children in need time Rasio 2 has always been one of its biggest supporters of it, it raises millions towards the total. It's been this way for years, why are you moaning now. Yes it's all their talking about because they have to "promote" it like anything else their talking about. It's a big event.

As tapirs says turn it off, the same as I do when it's a royal wedding, when that's all Radio 4 and 5 talk about. I'm pretty sure a lot of people had no idea the rugby world cup was just on because they turned radio 5 off, stick a cd on.

Support children in need the way you can if you want but honestly being annoyed at the way other people chose to support it is a bit silly.

Fleurchamp Thu 12-Nov-15 09:00:55

I agree with you angel it's clearly just Chris Evans and the same pack of cronies going off on jollies.

It's not great listening and alienates the listeners (well this one anyway).

It would be much better if there were lots which normal people could bid on too but I guess that wouldn't massage CE's ego.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Thu 12-Nov-15 09:01:39

I have huge problems with Children in Need anyway, so I'm afraid Radio 2 goes off for the week when they do the auctions.

Radio 2 is NBU in wanting to raise as much as they can but I also think people who find it a bit "rich vs poor" are NBU either.

However, radio is there to entertain and inform and I'm not sure how entertaining it is for the vast majority of people listening to people with far more disposable income than they will ever have competing against each other.

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Nov-15 09:02:21

The prizes sound amazing, and ar clearly out of reach for the majority of people. But what a great way of spending cash for those who can! Even the rich are allowed to listen to Radio 2!

It used to annoy me when they called it "The Auction that Money Can't Buy", when you needed mega bucks to buy anything!

GloGirl Thu 12-Nov-15 09:02:53

What went for £280000?!

Seeline Thu 12-Nov-15 09:03:11

I agree angel - it's all about Chris Evans and what he enjoys.
It was very different when good old Terry used to do it.

AngelSparks Thu 12-Nov-15 09:05:20

Actually, i dont have a choice if i am a passenger in a car, and if they are playing it where i work, do i?

Most people driving to work listening dont have a hope in hell of being able to spend the thousands required for these things.

I dont need to hear 5 times what the cars are for those who have thousands of pounds spare to give away - "lowest bid £10,000" etc its obscene, make one of them a prize draw or something let the masses at least be in with a chance,

Tapirs Thu 12-Nov-15 09:12:49

My point is that you can't change it or stop it happening and you can either let it get you down or zone it out. Talk to the person who's driving the car, wear earphones at work or ask them to change the radio channel or do something else to distract yourself.

It's happening. You can't change it - you can just decide not to let it get you down though.

InFlagranteDelicto Thu 12-Nov-15 09:16:12

I turn it off for this week. Annoys me beyond words. Makes my school run interesting as I use the different features to time the morning! Will switch back over for Ken Bruce, I like listening to him smile

DisappointedOne Thu 12-Nov-15 09:18:22

YANBU.

CiN has £97m in reserves. Until they spend that money they're not getting a penny from me, never mind tens of thousands!

TwoSmellyDogs Thu 12-Nov-15 09:21:00

I agree with the OP. It's a rich luvvie-fest to which the vast majority of people are not invited! Who has that kind of money to spend on those 'experience' auctions? Nobody I know for sure!
Trouble is - I get that they have to do this to raise the money. At least, I suppose they do. It just seems very alienating to me. I won't be listening till it's over.

GoEasyPudding Thu 12-Nov-15 09:22:24

I have always thought that if they did a raffle they would be more inclusive, more fun and would raise some serious dosh. Raffle tickets to win a bit part in Dr Who? Yes please! They would sell millions of tickets for that!

It would be a free TV show for them as well. 6 months later to see how the winner did meeting Dr Who and being in the show? I would watch that.

Raffle to be in Eastenders? Meet Danny Dyer maybe? tee hee!

AngelSparks Thu 12-Nov-15 09:23:32

thats a great idea GoEasy, real items that people cannot buy! love it

much more than the drone fest thats going on this week

ShatnersBassoon Thu 12-Nov-15 09:25:27

I wonder if a high ticket raffle would raise as much, as well as being more fun for the majority. £10 a ticket, you can buy as many entries as you want (so chances are someone buying £280,000 worth of tickets would win!), but there's always that chance that someone with one entry could get the prize. Or at least have one of the 'once in a lifetime' experience things given away that way, to give everyone a chance and something to listen in for.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 12-Nov-15 09:26:47

grin cross post with GoEasy there grin

GoEasyPudding Thu 12-Nov-15 09:30:06

I think a Dr Who part would raise millions if you allowed it somehow to go world wide.

I've thought it all through! Dr Who is so huge they should milk it for all its worth. It would be far more fun as well.

They sold tickets last year for a raffle to visit the star wars set or be in it or something. That did really well!

wasonthelist Thu 12-Nov-15 09:32:43

Go easy

I would pay money not meet Danny Dyer or go anywhere near Eastenders grin

MaxPepsi Thu 12-Nov-15 09:37:29

Ah, I'm completely brassick and can't even get a bloody mortgage and I love the CIN auction, always have done.

I care not a jot that I can't afford any of it. I love that everyone gets caught up in the emotion of raising the funds. All week I have sneaked my Ipod out so I can continue listening to the show whilst at my desk.

bigsnugglebunny Thu 12-Nov-15 09:41:06

I was thinking the same this morning, and then felt a bit uncharitable and mean - but I'm reassured that I'm not the only person feeling alienated. It seems like a whole other world where people have tens of thousands of pounds spare! I don't even have tens of pence to spare - currently drawing spots on an old t-shirt for DS to wear tomorrow for school.

bigsnugglebunny Thu 12-Nov-15 09:41:59

Disclaimer: I quite like drawing spots! grin

BarbarianMum Thu 12-Nov-15 09:43:15

I think there are worse things you can do with a spare £280,000 you just happen to have then give it to Children In Need. They'll be getting a couple of quid from me for Mufti day.

But a raffle for a bit part in Dr Who would be more fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now