Talk

Advanced search

To think that giving up smoking can actually CAUSE cancer

(103 Posts)
merrywidow Sun 27-Mar-11 20:11:28

Have seen several people give up smoking then develop lung / throat cancer.

spoke to a friend, she says the same of someone she knows.

A cell biologist I met actually asked if my H who died of lung cancer had given up smoking, I said he had a couple of years previously, then nodded sagely.

I googled the subject and found a docs forum where they actually discussed it; the thought was that as the body heals the cells then don't know when to stop dividing and go into overdrive becoming cancerous.

5inthebed Sun 27-Mar-11 20:13:53

Interesting. My FIL gave up smoking after 45 years and died 4 months later from oesophagus cancer. DH thinks that had he just kept on smoking he would still be alive today.

gordyslovesheep Sun 27-Mar-11 20:14:29

what a cheary thought

merrywidow Sun 27-Mar-11 20:14:48

5, was it fast moving type?

blinks Sun 27-Mar-11 20:14:57

would it not still be essentially caused by the smoking in the first place though? ie there would be nothing to 'heal' if the smoking hadn't taken place?

ladysybil Sun 27-Mar-11 20:15:46

yanbu. observations lead to links which lead to theories and well, studies and then proofs.

hardhatdonned Sun 27-Mar-11 20:16:54

YABU two grandparents (one from either side) both gave up 40 a day habits and one died 20 years after giving up, the other is still going strong 30 years after giving up.

Anecdotes are not proof.

Sassybeast Sun 27-Mar-11 20:16:58

Do you have a link to the docs forum ?

onagar Sun 27-Mar-11 20:17:28

Interesting. I wouldn't use it as an argument FOR smoking of course, but if a significant effect it undermines those who want those who currently smoke to be prevented from doing so.

merrywidow Sun 27-Mar-11 20:18:06

I will try to find it, though I'm crap at links

southeastastra Sun 27-Mar-11 20:18:54

great i gave up two years ago! i don't believe it myself, most smokers i know who gave up are just alot richer, slightly fatter and 100% fitter so i'll take me chances

merrywidow Sun 27-Mar-11 20:18:55

got to put DS to bed first,will come back in a bit and do it

TidyDancer Sun 27-Mar-11 20:19:02

Hmmm. This is quite interesting. Would this only apply to heavy smokers? Ie, those who smoke 20 or more a day? I can imagine the theory applying when it's a shock to the body, which would follow that it was a relatively high number of cigarettes smoked to cause it.

FabbyChic Sun 27-Mar-11 20:19:05

I smoke, my Nan smoked until she was diagnosed then was in hospital. she was 76. My parents are 70. I smoke and won't give up I be happy if I live to 70.

winnybella Sun 27-Mar-11 20:19:26

I do recall my grandfather's doctor forbidding him to quit smoking when he was around 70 and on 2 packets a day- something to do with it actually being worse than continuing smoking [confusing]

CatIsSleepy Sun 27-Mar-11 20:19:54

look, if you smoke for 45 years, give up and die of cancer 4 months later I'm pretty sure the cancer developed whilst the smoking was still going on and your FIL just gave up too late after smoking too long 5inthebed

the genetic changes that lead to cancer can take years to accumulate

giving up is a good thing to do, the sooner the better

gordyslovesheep Sun 27-Mar-11 20:21:52

I gave up a year ago - I am fitter, happier and healthier - I'll take my chances - my guess is I am still LESS at risk than somebody who smokes

70 is no age - I am aiming for 85 minimum grin

ScarlettWalking Sun 27-Mar-11 20:22:00

All I know was that when I gave up I was ill for about 2 years, really ill with infections/ colds - immunity soo low. All from quitting.

I think your body and immune system goes into a kind of relaxation mode whereas when you are actively smoking the nicotine has had a numbing effect. The process of giving up any drug is dangerous for the health absolutely.

Violethill Sun 27-Mar-11 20:22:48

The smoking is still the fundamental cause of cancer, whether it develops when the person is still smoking or after they give up.

ENormaSnob Sun 27-Mar-11 20:23:08

How do you know they are actual doctors on the Internet forum?

How would you diffrentiate between a cancer caused by giving up smoking and a cancer that was caused by smoking in the first place? confused

I am not a believer in anecdotal evidence tbh

Nancy66 Sun 27-Mar-11 20:24:30

it was still smoking in the first place that killed them though...by the time they quit the damage was done.

Sassybeast Sun 27-Mar-11 20:26:34

Can't wait wink

Dr Dougie Smokalot (sponsored by B&H)

southeastastra Sun 27-Mar-11 20:27:06

also my dad (81) was a heavy smoker until his mid 60s is fit as a fiddle

not starting smoking is probably your best bet to avoid any sort of lung cancer, ban the things i say.

sorry about your husband op

FlaminGreatGallah Sun 27-Mar-11 20:29:21

Interesting. Didn't that happen to Allen Carr? Such a pity.

Mamaz0n Sun 27-Mar-11 20:31:17

As someone who is literally sat opposite my dad, aged 50 who has days to live due mostly down to his smoking i couldn't care less whether it causes cancer or not. there are a great many other illnesses just as horrible that it DOES cause.

He is sitting here with a machine helping him breath. Any minute now he will have to swap his nasal tubes for a full face mask and Bi pap machine.

He has 9 children, the youngest aged only 9 And 5 grandchildren.

Anyone in this day and age that decides to smoke or refuse to give up is a selfish idiot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now