Talk

Advanced search

Quorn cooking

(33 Posts)
Kitta Tue 16-Nov-10 19:17:14

I need help, I have always avoided Quron as I have always believed if you want to eat something that tastes like meat eat meat………..
Away am currently on a medical advised low fat diet and although it isn’t a big issue I’m really missing things like Chilli and Spag Bol and Keema so thought I’d bite the Mycoprotein.

But what I want to know is do I use it just like mince? Does it have the same heating point? Is there any special trick to handling it. The people I normally go to for cooking advice are all a bit emmm

thanks in advance

Kitta Tue 16-Nov-10 19:18:16

Agggghhhhhh Didn't mean to post here thought I was still in food ignore ignore ignore
blush blush blush blush

nitsparty Tue 16-Nov-10 20:41:50

Veggie for 30 years so can't remember much about cooking meat- i think quorn needs a bit less cooking than meat-not the same dangers if it's raw.i eat loads in all it's different guises.I'm not a great cook or anything so it must be pretty hard to ruin! don't dry it out too much if you roast or grill it though and I don't think microwaving really works. enjoy!
nb you can also do lots of nice stewy things with brown lentils cottage pies etc.

tebbles Tue 16-Nov-10 20:52:54

Try it but be aware there are many people who are intolerant/allergic to it.

I am a vegeterian and tried it for the first time last year. I was very ill, vomited a several hours later and had bloating/stomach and pains for a couple of days afterwards. I experienced these symtoms a few times before linking it to the quorn. As a result I am now really cautious whenever eating vegetraian meals out and have to ask if quorn is being used, unfortunately it is fairly commonly used as the vegetarian alternative.

Try googling 'quorn reaction' 'quorn allergy' for some stats and info about it.

I stick to green lentils as my meat alternative, great for lasagne and spag bol.

effymeffy Tue 16-Nov-10 20:55:10

I really like quorn, go for it!! Seems to cook like real mince, there are many supermarket own brand quorn esque which imo taste better :D Really like the quorn fillets and quorn pieces to cook with also

duchesse Tue 16-Nov-10 21:10:10

If Quorn wants to come round to my house 3x a week and do the cooking, it's very welcome.

duchesse Tue 16-Nov-10 21:11:33

Sorry.

I've always used it in the same way as minced meat, but obviously you can't really make it into burgers as it's kind of precooked and doesn't stick together very well.

hairytriangle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:12:02

Don't fry the mince in the same way you would meat for bolognese ... It burns.

igetmorelovefromthecat Tue 16-Nov-10 21:13:05

I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and tbh quorn used to be completely rank, but it has got a lot better lately.

At the moment if you get different quorn products with the promotion on them you can get a quorn cookbook for £2.99 which should give you a few ideas. My fave is a stir fry with the chicken style quorn pieces in it.

anonymosity Tue 16-Nov-10 21:39:05

gives me rampant wind / bloating. I attributed this to sodium content but its been suggested to me that Quorn is just "wrong" and no one really knows what it is...confused

Sarthrell Tue 16-Nov-10 22:58:48

I'm with tebbles it makes me vomit. My dh fed it to me a few times before I worked it out and guilted him severely for poisoning me wink. Tasted good though (the first time).

Kitta Tue 16-Nov-10 23:26:29

thanks a lot for your advice and for not flaming me for posting in the wrong place

MilkNoSugarPlease Tue 16-Nov-10 23:29:21

Quorn is grim

But back on topic, cant fry it like normal mince and i find you have to use more of it then you would normal mince and use veggies to bulk it up more as its very fine

Don't kid yourself the chicken pieces taste like chicken, they dont...theyre awful...use tofu instead

TeiTetua Tue 16-Nov-10 23:37:07

Isn't the Quorn something to do with fox hunting?

The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable?

Nuff said.

dignified Tue 16-Nov-10 23:37:38

I tried this recently and it gave me the worst wind EVER , was so bad i couldnt go out blush

passionfruity Wed 17-Nov-10 00:09:16

I have also vomited twice after eating Quorn. I'm not allergic/intolerent to any other food whatsoever so it's a bit random.

Glob Wed 17-Nov-10 00:20:02

I know a good low fat chick pea curry recipe (1 pot, easy) and lentil bolognaise is a good alternatve to quorn bolognaise (ban the cheese topping and i think it's low in fat). I find quorn mince browns quite fast but I prefer lentils. Also you can do a good chilli with beans and pepper as the main ingredients. Trying to keep iron levels high is hard.

Lynzjam Wed 17-Nov-10 04:25:57

I love quorn! Really easy to prepare. Don't have to worry about undercooking or overfilling it. Can defrost in microwave, or just bung in pan frozen and heat through your sauce.

Quorn takes on the flavour of anything your cooking with and you don't have to worry about disgusting gristly bits.

Lynzjam Wed 17-Nov-10 04:27:11

Overfilling meant to be overcooking!

millimurphy Wed 17-Nov-10 07:59:05

You need to use more oil when you are cooking the quorn mince and it doesn't take as long to cook. Just fry ingredients as you would for a 'normal' chilli or pasta dish. Never had any problems with bloating or being sick etc with quorn.

Butterbur Wed 17-Nov-10 08:15:49

You need to pay a lot of attention to the seasoning and flavouring of the sauce, because unlike meat, Quorn has no flavour of its own.

I eat it pretty much every day. The only time it made me sick, was when I ate some uncooked, thinking it would be safe. Of course it does contain egg, and as a processed food, I suppose there is always the possibility of contamination with food poisoning bacteria.

Stangirl Wed 17-Nov-10 08:29:15

I love quorn but haven't had it for years 'cos DP not keen. Buy the pieces and use like chicken in caseroles - no need to fry beforehand. Also - would soya be ok for you? How about tofu? Lots of things you can do with those if they are ok for you.

ApocalypseCheese Wed 17-Nov-10 08:59:14

Love qourn in this house, but ave you considered using beancurd ? VERY nice, om, nom, nom.

Snorbs Wed 17-Nov-10 09:06:19

I use it fairly regularly since DD turned veggie earlier in the year. I agree with millimurphy, put more oil in as otherwise it is a bit dry.

I'd disagree with MilkNoSugarPlease though. As it doesn't shrink like meat does I tend to use less Quorn mince than I normally would.

woopsidaisy Wed 17-Nov-10 09:11:52

Kitta,whilst not a vegetarian,I don't really like much meat,so eat a lot of Quorn etc. But if you miss chilli and spag bol etc there is no need to replace beef mince with Quorn.
Try this GR recipe for [[ http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon -ramsay/chilli-con-carne-recipe chilli]]. Just substitute the oil for Fry Light-the spray oil,available where other oils are in supermarket. And go to the butcher for extra lean beef mince.Turkey mince is also very healthy.
As long as you are using "healthy" ingredients and avoiding the jars of sauce and ready meals you will be fine.That GR recipe is healthy! Just remember portion size.
Here is a recipe for bolognaise. As long as you substitute the oil for the spray,most of theses recipes are fine and healthy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now