Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Not been to France for years - what's good in French supermarkets?

(257 Posts)
Standstilling Sat 11-Aug-18 19:00:53

Indulge me - I am off to France soon with the DCs and LOVE a foreign supermarket. Am idly planning and looking forward but I need some specifics. Do they still do those peanut flavoured wotsit things? Obvs cheese and wine... what else is good?

P3onyPenny Sat 11-Aug-18 19:39:13

We buy( bit random)
Le Petit Marseillaise hand soap,shower gel and if you have frizzy hair the best arghan oil shampoo ever.
Bon Maman jam is cheaper
Dijon jam in city glasses
Fleury de sel salt
Violet and almond squash
whole nutmeg( comes in a jar with a mini grater)
school supplies

Notquiterichenough Sat 11-Aug-18 19:42:37

This year we found duck legs in fat, in a vacuum pack thing in the chilled section. Just take them out of the plastic, stick them in a baking tray in the oven. Really very good.

Acopyofacopy Sat 11-Aug-18 19:47:13

I very randomly bought the DOP Amande douce 2 in 1 shampoo last time, it is amazing!
We also stock up on Le Petit Marseillais everything.

Fig Boursin is nice, Walnut one not so much.

Apéricubes!

Bonne Maman pistachio custard pots.

More randomly: Auchan had really nice and cheap hammam towels a few weeks ago.

EnglishGirlApproximately Sat 11-Aug-18 19:50:14

I’m off to France soon too and I’m liking the sound of Fig Boursin. I’m mostly going to eat lots of patisserie though. And the odd crepe grin The place we’re going to used to have an amazing bakery that sold baguettes with lardons and cheese baked in, I think it’ll ruin DP’s holiday if they don’t sell it any more!

MorrisDancingViv Sat 11-Aug-18 19:53:29

Violet and almond squash sounds amazing!

sunnyeyes Sat 11-Aug-18 19:53:55

Duck legs in a tin ❤️❤️

Standstilling Sat 11-Aug-18 19:55:22

Bien sur, this is what I'm after! Violet and almond squash! Baguettes with lardons et du fromage! Intrigued by duck legs, only ever had duck in a Chinese meal.

Le Petit Marseillais stuff sounds ace, and I do have frizzy hair, P3ony, how did you know?

Just remembered sirop instead of squash and notebooks with square paper!

Do they also still have good hair clips? I remember lovely barettes...

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sat 11-Aug-18 19:55:48

I just stand in the yoghurt aisle gazing in awe and wonder...

Standstilling Sat 11-Aug-18 19:58:05

Ooh, set yoghurts were a French novelty when I was little - these memories!

Standstilling Sat 11-Aug-18 19:59:12

I can see us slinging our bags into le caravane and heading straight back out to the supermarche.

Galvantula Sat 11-Aug-18 20:01:32

I love the stationery aisles too, ever since I was a child. 😄

ParisProperty Sat 11-Aug-18 20:05:18

Dop shower gel is lovely. Obviously wine is essential and cheap. I love Gallette Sablees biscuits.
But you should buy patisserie fresh in the morning from a bakery. Bring back for breakfast. smile

CloudCaptain Sat 11-Aug-18 20:06:58

Canard in a can. The walnut boursin is nice, but quite sweet? so try it for a different experience to the standard. Cheap plonk, obviously. Full sugar squash drinks. Gutted I missed out on those! Just got back
Ghostie crisps. They are quite addictive

EnglishGirlApproximately Sat 11-Aug-18 20:07:01

The first morning I ever spent in France at about 13 years old I was served a set yoghurt with a pile of sugar on for breakfast, it was amazing!
These duck legs, do they taste like confit duck? Please say yes I absolutely love it!

EnglishGirlApproximately Sat 11-Aug-18 20:08:16

Gallette Sablee biscuits, I’m going to put so much weight on blush I’m very pleased to hear wine is still cheap too

ParisProperty Sat 11-Aug-18 20:12:36

I am currently enjoying a glass of delicious Rose that cost 3€ a bottle. I have already eaten all the cheese.
I am already too fat. Sigh.

shortsaint Sat 11-Aug-18 20:14:03

Carottes rapee & celeri remoulade!

WhyDoesItAlways Sat 11-Aug-18 20:15:00

Apericubes
3d's (crisps)
A good selection of cheeses
Cheap wine
Syrup drinks
Miller cornishons (little pickled gherkins and onions)
Carambars (sweets)
Tassimo pods are cheaper over there with more variety so usually stock up on them.
Chocolate mousse

I'm sure there's more. I have been known to pop over to France for lunch and a good supermarket shop!

EnglishGirlApproximately Sat 11-Aug-18 20:16:28

ParisProperty that will be me in about 10 days grin

lifechangesforever Sat 11-Aug-18 20:17:39

Croque madams in a packet - simply put them in a frying pan for 2 mins each side and perfection is served.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sat 11-Aug-18 20:18:47

Oh, and fromage blanc.

Rainshowers Sat 11-Aug-18 20:21:33

Yes to duck in a can, and celeriac remoulade. I love a French supermarket, even the smell!

Cheese, wine, Cremant if you like a bottle (or two) of fizz, we usually get some random biscuits/sweets the we like the look of. We also had a lovely ratatouille in a can but can’t remember where from, I love the amount of stuff they sell in cans & jars!

We’ve also picked up some random bargains over the years, moules pans (the ones they serve them in with lids) so worth checking out the non food stuff.

Luxembourgmama Sat 11-Aug-18 20:24:45

Confit de canard in tins. Just bung them in the oven and you've an amazing dinner with no effort.

Also petit Suisse

MrsPnut Sat 11-Aug-18 20:26:43

We love the little Belin Monaco crackers with a glass of wine. We also stock up on decent mayo before we come home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: