Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mail on Bath Theatre Family Sex Show for 5+ age

Abitofalark · 09/04/2022 02:32

The DM article quotes from a thread on mumsnet in AIBU www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4524406-Deeply-concerned-about-Child-Safety-in-Bristol?messages=100&pg=1

The Mail explains:
"A theatre company has sparked fury by staging a show featuring naked bodies that explores 'love, sexuality and sexual pleasure' aimed at children as young as five. ..
The website describes it as 'a fun and silly performance about the painfully awkward subject of sex, exploring names and functions, boundaries, consent, pleasure, queerness, sex, gender and relationships.
It goes on: 'Using real life bodies, personal stories, songs and movement, The Family Sex Show puts the good stuff at the forefront of conversation and imagines a future where there is no shame; but a celebration of difference, equality and liberation.' "

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10700795/Fury-theatre-company-stages-naked-exploring-sexuality-sexual-pleasure-queerness.html

It is claimed to be based on the school curriculum but according to a AIBU poster, it includes gender identity indoctrination, along with the stuff about sexual pleasure, nudity, etc:

"I would challenge PPs to show where pegging comes in the RSE curriculum for 5 year olds.
Or ‘TERF’, which is helpfully included in the glossary, just in case we were in any doubt about this group’s intentions.
They can just FOTHFSOFAFOSM with their queering and cissing. If any public money is going into this, it’s a fucking outrage when huge numbers of children are arriving at school hungry."

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rightsraptor · 11/04/2022 11:17

The line 'I wish I'd had this when I was a kid' seems to be one of their mantras. It appears here in the video and is also said by drag queens and their allies (I think the words were uttered by Mhairi Black about her DG mate she supported after there were lots of complaints about DQST)

Creepy.

Please
or

miltonj · 11/04/2022 12:25

@MangyInseam

Aside from all the obvious nuttery of this, the woman (she/her) producer says they are trying to make the show they wish they had seen as kids.

I'd have been completely mortified if my parents had taken me to this, once I was about 8.

Yes. I went to see the magic roundabout and play days when I was 5. Why does everything have to be so weird now.
Please
or

Betty91 · 11/04/2022 12:52

They are on Instagram & Twitter - ask them for their risk assessment and evidence that they are helping children. Because they won't have done one. It's all google searches and "oh yes we definitely our Dads had taken us to a show with naked adults and songs about the clitoris when we were 5 yrs old"

Please
or

NoHateOnlyDebate · 11/04/2022 13:30

Here's the FAQ - thefamilysexshow.com/faq

Probably best to look at the source, rather than the Daily Mail, which is known to take several liberties with the truth.

Please
or

ickky · 11/04/2022 14:06

They were recruiting for actors on twitter in march. How long does it take for a DBS check?

The NSPCC states

Non-contact abuse involves activities where there is no physical contact. It includes:

flashing at a child

encouraging or forcing a child to watch or hear sexual acts

not taking proper measures to prevent a child being exposed to sexual activities by others

So the first three are a big old tick.

How the fuck did this get past an ideas session? Must be paedophiles in the background somewhere.

On a lighter note, I also had a chuckle at @BenCooperisaGod being mentioned the the fail.

Please
or

ickky · 11/04/2022 14:09

@NoHateOnlyDebate

Agree to look at source, but in this case, they got off easy with the article, it didn't mention the simulated sex acts or the BDSM, PEGGING, etc

Please
or

partystress · 11/04/2022 14:12

I know teachers who are waiting for DBS checks still who got jobs before February half term.

Please
or

NoHateOnlyDebate · 11/04/2022 14:16

[quote ickky]@NoHateOnlyDebate

Agree to look at source, but in this case, they got off easy with the article, it didn't mention the simulated sex acts or the BDSM, PEGGING, etc[/quote]
Where does the website mention simulated sex acts, BDSM, or pegging? Did you find the show details somewhere, because I looked, and all I found was this.

"Because the show isn't completely finished yet, this page isn't quite ready. When it is, this page will have detailed information about the show, the lights and sound we use, and a description of exactly what happens. That way you can make an informed descision about whether or not it feels right for you."

Can't know the contents if it's not even finished!

Please
or

RoseslnTheHospital · 11/04/2022 14:22

Those are in the Glossary which is one of the main links on the website navigation.

Please
or

Teesht · 11/04/2022 14:28

@NoHateOnlyDebate thefamilysexshow.com/glossary

Please
or

ickky · 11/04/2022 14:36

@NoHateOnlyDebate

If you look at the gallery pictures you can see the simulated sex acts and look at the glossary for the words.

If they haven't finished it yet, maybe they should wait until they have before they advertise it so parents can have informed consent, even though their children cannot.

Please
or

ickky · 11/04/2022 14:39

@partystress

I know teachers who are waiting for DBS checks still who got jobs before February half term.

Are they working?

That is not concerning at all is it?

Although how good are DBS checks when deviants can just change their name and carry on as before?

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-offenders-free-to-abuse-children-after-changing-id-bpdlx59p0
Please
or

NoHateOnlyDebate · 11/04/2022 14:52

@RoseslnTheHospital

Those are in the Glossary which is one of the main links on the website navigation.

@Teesht @ickky

The glossary outlines a number of terms, it has "Child sexual abuse images/material" but I doubt that means they are going to include it in this show! I also doubt that AV, or Backstage will make an appearence in the show.

I, personally, will reserve judgement until I know more about this show.
Please
or

YetAnotherSpartacus · 11/04/2022 14:53

This post has been hidden until the MNHQ team can have a look at it.

Please
or

CarbonelCat · 11/04/2022 15:02

So there's an article in the Grauniad...

theguardian.com/stage/2022/mar/08/and-now-for-a-song-about-the-clitoris-the-joy-of-sex-education

How can they publish something with so little critical comments? So few questions asked?

And this little nugget of conflation and virtual signaling (if you don't want your DC to be exposed to this then you're probably an intolerant homophobe too..) -

"It’s no secret that talking to children about sex, relationships, and their bodies can draw negative attention. When Birmingham’s Parkfield community school attempted to integrate an inclusive programme teaching their students that families can come in all shapes and sizes, including with same-sex parents, protesters picketed the school gates. Incidents like this have been fairly frequent over recent years. “We know we will get people who don’t want it to happen,” Dale-Jones says. “There aren’t many of them, but they shout loudly."

It has such echoes of the TRAs and their insistence that everyone is fine with everything, just a handful of TERFS being too loud and embarrassing themselves when they make such a fuss.

So, the Guardian think this is all fine. They've spelled out the content. Talking about masturbation ("sticky"), with 5 year olds. And anyone who has an issue is a bigot. Right. Hope that's all archived.

Please
or

DisappearingGirl · 11/04/2022 15:28

Sorry I shouldn't laugh but the Glossary seems to be a mix of terms for obscure sexual practices and identities, interspersed with theatre terms.

I honestly didn't know what I was going to see when clicking on Box Office or Front of House. Incidentally, Front of House appears next to Frottage

Please
or

RoseslnTheHospital · 11/04/2022 15:41

Is it not reasonable to think that if the terms have been considered necessary to add to the glossary related to this show that they will be present in the show, or in the material related to the show?

From the descriptions available on the website, it is clear this show is not appropriate for the age range given. My 5 year old wouldn't have a clue what most of the stuff they intend to present is about, because he's 5, and doesn't have any interest or need to know about the details of sexual activity between adults. He knows age appropriate things about his body, age appropriate things about how babies grow in women, and he knows about different types of families/relationships. He doesn't need to see strangers nude to learn anything age appropriate about sex and relationships.

Please
or

MangyInseam · 11/04/2022 16:19

It's the context of the nudity too.

I don't particularly care about kids seeing nudity in places like change rooms or spas. National Geographic photos. Etc.

That is totally different in a show that is supposed to be about sex. It's not an appropriate context for adults and kids.

TBH I wonder if there isn't some underlying intent that getting young kids interested in sex will encourage them to experiment sexually at a younger age. Probably people just being stupid idiots is the real explanation, but I do keep wondering why this stuff keeps appearing.

Please
or

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 11/04/2022 16:21

"on display" or "committing a criminal offence"?

Please
or

Zeugma · 11/04/2022 17:07

Front of House appears next to Frottage

Sorry….I know it’s not actually funny but this made me laugh Blush

Please
or

Zeugma · 11/04/2022 17:14

To make a more serious point - I went to see the magic roundabout and play days when I was 5

This 👆 I was a desperately shy and anxious child. I’d have been upset, really upset and afraid if taken to something like this. And while we're about it, the grotesque spectacle of 'Drag Queen Story Time' would have given me screaming nightmares for months. I find it genuinely disturbing enough now.

Please
or

CarbonelCat · 11/04/2022 17:18

I do not get the Drag storytimes either.

I just don't understand what the adults are thinking. What do parents think this is adding to their children's experience?!

What tickets to this have already sold? Who to? That would be really interesting.

Please
or

StopStartStop · 11/04/2022 17:36

I was a teacher for twenty years. It was clear that child sexual abuse is endemic, and therefore I think there are many parents who would welcome this inappropriate theatre show.

Please
or

partystress · 11/04/2022 20:02

@ickky. No, my point was that the teachers aren’t able to start in a new school until the new DBS comes through. With the massive shortage of supply staff and high sickness rates, they’re still not being processed quickly enough. So I doubt these performers have been through DBS for these roles. Of course, if they stay on stage and children stay in their seats, that’s not relevant legally. But if I were running a theatre company doing work even vaguely along the tamest interpretation of what’s going to be happening, I’d want enhanced DBS type assurance for anyone involved.

As it is, the descriptions, glossary and statements make clear this is a deeply concerning show for anyone who believes in child protection and safeguarding.

Please
or

ickky · 11/04/2022 21:38

@partystress Ahh okay, I thought you meant they were working whilst waiting for the check. Shock

Judging by the shambolic way they are conducting themselves, I don't think safeguarding is on the top of their list.

Let's hope they at least raise the minimum age to 15.

Not that I would have wanted to see this sort of thing ever when I was that age.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.