Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is trans tape any safer than a binder?

35 replies

PeggyGuggenheim · 20/01/2020 10:33

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already but I'm in a panic, I promised my daughter I would give her a decision by tonight. I have forbidden a binder
Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

drspouse · 20/01/2020 11:16

I hadn't heard of this but Googled.
If it's compressing breast tissue then it can't be safe.
If it's not compressing breast tissue then what's the point?

Please
or

PeggyGuggenheim · 20/01/2020 16:00

It's compressing breast tissue.

But I think less dangerous because it's to push the breasts apart, towards the armpits, and the tape wouldn't encircle the rib cage in one continuous band.

OP posts:
Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 16/02/2020 18:27

I would not let my child do this. Squashing growing breast tissue is really not a good idea.
I am so sorry you are in this position.
The irony that the woke people who shore this up would be highly critical of breast ironing.

Please
or

Thinkingabout1t · 01/04/2020 01:40

I hope you can persuade her not to damage her breasts, OP, or at least delay till she grows out of this ideology. Have you contacted the parents’ group Transgender Trend? They have a lot of useful information. Good luck.
transgendertrend.com/

Please
or

emilyslist · 08/04/2020 02:40

Tape is extremely damaging. Multiple sources including ones written by transgender individual back this up. Let your child buy a binder for themself as a compromise. It is better to let go of some of your ideals than compromise your child's health!

Please
or

Alex130125 · 07/06/2020 19:41

Hello. Both Binders and TransTape are safe if used properly. Binders should only be worn for 8 hours maximum, shouldn't get wet or slept in, also shouldn't be exercised in, and cleaned properly. TransTape is actually safer than a binder. You can wear TransTape for up to 5 days, you can get it wet and sleep in it. These two things are way better than you child suffering from dysphoria (The conflict from your gender and your sex) which could lead to anxiety and depression. It also can lead to your child doing something dangerous such as binding with tape. Yes binders does have its if it is done unsafely, such as broken/bruised ribs. The worst TransTape can do is give skin irritation.

Please
or

StillWeRise · 07/06/2020 19:44

OP, would a sports bra be any good? will prevent movement and generally flatten out, less separation, and they are generally very plain
so sorry you are having to ask this

Please
or

Stevienickssleeves · 07/06/2020 19:44

"Hello. Both Binders and TransTape are safe if used properly."

Cite your evidence

Please
or

StillWeRise · 07/06/2020 19:49

Please
or

Thinkingabout1t · 07/06/2020 22:02

There is no unbiased evidence that tape or binders are safe if used "properly". As the whole point of them is to crush growing tissue, how could they not cause harm?

There is plenty of evidence of harm. For example, from
www.transgendertrend.com/social-transition-and-chest-binding/
"Known health risks associated with chest binding include compressed or broken ribs, punctured or collapsed lungs, back pain, compression of the spine, damaged breast tissue, damaged blood vessels, blood clots, inflamed ribs and heart attacks.
Link to article here: www.ftmtopsurgery.ca/blog/ftm-faq/health-consequences-chest-binding/

"A recent study has been conducted to assess the health impact of chest binding in the transgender community.
www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13691058.2016.1191675?journalCode=tchs20

"Of the 1800 participants with experience of binding, 51.5% reported daily binding. Over 97% reported at least one of 28 negative outcomes attributed to binding. Compression methods associated with symptoms were commercial binders (20/28), elastic bandages (14/28) and duct tape or plastic wrap (13/28). Larger chest size was primarily associated with dermatological problems.

"Chest binding results in difficulties in breathing so will affect levels of activity and overall health in females who choose to bind their breasts."
www.transgendertrend.com/breast-binders-in-uk-schools/

Please
or

JellyfishandShells · 07/06/2020 22:11

It’s not long since women were liberated from expectations that they would wear crushing and uncomfortable corsetry and now this modern day attack on a female body, under the guise of another ideology.

I’m so sorry, OP, that you are placed in such an awful position - to have to be complicit in damaging your daughter’s growing body.

Please
or

Alex130125 · 07/06/2020 22:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

StillWeRise · 08/06/2020 20:36

so, the manufacturers of a product say it's perfectly safe to use, what a surprise
from their description it sounds like putting massive sticking plasters on your breasts
Sad

Please
or

AliviS · 08/10/2020 21:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Sapiophile · 08/10/2020 21:44

Reported @AliviS.

Please
or

GurlwiththeCurl · 08/10/2020 21:48

Also reported.

Please
or

DeliciouslyFemale · 08/10/2020 21:50

Oh stop being so silly AliviS. You’re talking to the grownups now. We don’t fall for the emotional blackmail and lies about trans suicide.

Please
or

KnightsofColumbusThatHurt · 08/10/2020 21:58

We've deleted this post as it broke our guidelines.

Please
or

DifficultPifcultLemonDifficult · 08/10/2020 21:59

AliviS that is a particularly damaging viewpoint. Saying that kids kill themselves because parents aren't allowing them their own way is ridiculous.

I have a child, who is trans, and I am being, and have been, very supportive, but I haven't allowed binders or blockers, because parenting a trans child is about balancing long term damage, that cannot be undone, with mental health issues, that may be resolved though other means. As parents we need to think about the long term too, and we have the benefit of knowing that teens often go through phases, and basing a lifetime of treatments and infertility and damage on, what could very well be, a phase, even if its a year or two, is utterly negligent.

Op, I have went with sports bras and minimising bras and baggy tops for my child, it has worked very well and my child feels very comfortable.

Please
or

feelingverylazytoday · 22/01/2021 16:45

I wouldn't allow either. I would look into minimser bras (M&S used to do them) or a good quality sports bra.

Please
or

SomeonesChild · 01/02/2021 02:03

We've deleted this post as it broke talk guidelines.

Please
or

SomeonesChild · 01/02/2021 02:06

I know a lot of people have said 'so sorry you have had to post this'. I apologise on their behalf. What your child has chosen to do with their body is not something to be sorry about, and whatever you're "dealing" with doesn't have to be dealt with, it's something you and your child can talk about and bond over. Your acceptance of your child is bound to make them proud of having a parent like you.

Please
or

Dalyesque · 11/02/2021 23:35

SomeonesChild most mothers on here would cut off their own arms rather than allow a child to damage themselves. There are many reasons why we do not succumb to threats of suicide. There are other ways of dealing with mental illness than physically causing damage to themselves. If someone feels this bad about themselves, it’s those inner feelings that have to change and it is not any mothers job to pretend otherwise.

Please
or

Evarish · 20/02/2021 14:05

It pulls the tissue apart and back, rather than constricting the whole chest in a tight hug, so it would seem like a better option (also because it gives the possibility to wear it for 5 days, say at school, whereas school followed by hanging out with friends is likely to breach the 8 hour recommended max of wearing a binder).

I wouldn't see sports bra's as an option because by the time they'd give the desired effect, they'd be entirely on par with a binder, and if they didn't, then... well, there's no point in the sports bra. Some individuals may have little breast tissue which would enable a flattened chest with a sports bra, but the average chest would still visibly be breasts, which is the whole issue for those with dysphoria.

That is, of course, assuming they want trans tape because they're dysphoric. I've also seen the same desire expressed by butch girls, tomboys and less masculine girls who don't want their chest on display and it's very nice that there's an option for them to feel comfortable or show nonconformity in their outward appearance.

Please
or

CanIBeACurlyGirl · 22/05/2021 13:39

Does trans tape damage the breast tissue in the same way as a binder?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?