or
to access all these features

AnyFucker · 22/12/2018 08:40

Brilliant

Please
or

papayasareyum · 22/12/2018 08:49

if anyone has yet to email Big Lottery, please send them a link to that article as it sums up all the very serious, compelling reasons why Mermiads shouldn’t be given a penny more.

Please
or

PlectrumElectrum · 22/12/2018 08:53

Here's mermaids statement in response on FB - not got time to go through the details but anyone else interested can review their stats etc.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1952394018190698&id=192046384225479

Please
or

AngryAttackKittens · 22/12/2018 08:59

There's a reason she wins awards! Also I suspect she pays attention to what's being discussed here, so if you're reading, Janice, thank you so much for being ethical enough to keep covering this issue despite the pressure not to,

And yes, Datun, Susie Green seems to want to party like it's 1959 and I can't figure out how anyone has convinced themselves that her commitment to archaic gender roles is in any way progressive. Let little boys play with dolls and dress up if they want to, ffs.

Please
or

feministfairy · 22/12/2018 09:01

Comments are up on both articles - and they're predictably horrified at both Mermaids and RM

OP's posts:
Please
or

papayasareyum · 22/12/2018 09:02

it’s really hard to defend that “training session” and anyone who listens to it, apart from hardcore TRAs will probably be horrified. It’s interesting that she thinks the chap who questioned the “trainer” was trying to dominate the session. If anything, I think the audience were overly respectful, overly compliant and should’ve spoken up far more often and far more vociferously. This is a poor, poor response from Mermaids, in an attempt to justify what they must know was an embarrassing bit of diversity “training”

Please
or

Mariotta · 22/12/2018 09:03

Strong article from Janice and comments are good so far.

Biological sex is on a spectrum, she says, like skin tone and (seriously) bra size. A person’s “gender identity jelly baby” has nothing to do with how we are raised: it is inside you at birth. You know you are a man because you walk like a man and like “manly” things. A listener questions why this lecture is based upon stereotypes and is told “you’re going too clever”.

Too clever? Too clever?! Yes, that's right dears: the catechism is all you need. Just recite the articles of jelly baby faith: that'll see you right.

Please
or

AngryAttackKittens · 22/12/2018 09:07

Although I can see why they might use the jelly baby analogy when addressing (let's be honest, indoctrinating) children I'm baffled as to why anyone thought that was an appropriate analogy to use when addressing a group of adults in a professional setting.

Please
or

Mariotta · 22/12/2018 09:09

Here's mermaids statement in response on FB - not got time to go through the details but anyone else interested can review their stats etc.

From that: If the child does not have supportive parents then disclosure of their gender identity would constitute a potential safeguarding risk.

No. If a child has abusive parents, information sharing is vital. There should be no secrecy involving at risk children: that is the safeguarding risk and a failure of information sharing can lead to catastrophic outcomes. Parents who are not affirmative in the extremist way Mermaids recommends are not abusive.

Vile twisting of protocols and language there

Please
or

SpartacusAutisticusAHF · 22/12/2018 09:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Babygrey7 · 22/12/2018 09:19

Just common sense :" The Mermaids trainer declares that we should stop categorising children by their genitals because “we do raise boys and girls differently.” But isn’t the answer to change our child-raising practices, not the bodies of quirky kids? Feminists are constantly accused of being on the wrong side of history. Yet Mermaids, with its clownfish and jelly-babies, is clearly on the wrong side of science."

Please
or

MnerXX · 22/12/2018 09:23

Both awesome articles that pull no punches

#bemorelikejanice

Please
or

Bowednotbroken · 22/12/2018 09:32

Another brilliant piece from Janice - thank you!

Please
or

userschmoozer · 22/12/2018 09:35

Excellent article, but Janice missed out a pertinent part of the quote by Susie Green;

twitter.com/i/web/status/1059817455395237888

''Marci Bowers saying surgery should be allowed based on competency NOT age of majority. Psychological assessment should not be needed for surgery as this is not required for cisgender surgeries of ANY type.
Removal of the sterilisation clause is key''

The 'sterilisation clause' protects children from being sterilised for non essential surgery. Susie Green wants to have that protection removed.

Please
or

Juells · 22/12/2018 09:46

Eugenics. When you boil it down, it's advocating sterilising those who don't conform in their early years.

Between the thirties and seventies 60,000 young Swedish women were sterilised. A (Danish) friend's thesis was on the subject of eugenics in Denmark, and he found that many women were sterilised just because they were prostitutes. The current attack on non-conforming teenagers may present as being different, but it originates from the same attitude of forcing everyone to fit the social norms, and if they don't they'll be 'fixed'.

Please
or

NotTryingHardEnough · 22/12/2018 09:46

The comments under the Mermaids FB response are laughable. 'Why do journalists insist on being sooo horrible?'

Just a little thing called, you know, facts Hmm

Please
or

Popchyk · 22/12/2018 09:47

Janice on Twitter:

I wrote this for all the men who style themselves as rational & scientific yet chide feminists as “transphobic” for pointing out dangerous unscientific ideology Mermaids spread about gender- nonconforming kids. Please pause your knee-jerk wokeness & THINK

twitter.com/VictoriaPeckham/status/1076394748900978688

Please
or

Popchyk · 22/12/2018 09:48

Julie Bindel replies to Janice:

"Are you on the right side of history for Christmas this year Janice? I am trying to be, but I'm not sure which of the tube lines goes there".

David Baddiel chimes in:

"I’m starting to worry I might have to get a replacement bus"

Please
or

AngryAttackKittens · 22/12/2018 09:49

What, journalists doing investigative reporting and having what they've discovered printed in a national newspaper? It's an outrage! The job of journalists is to attach their names to barely edited regurgitations of our press releases.

(Serious nods all around from Mermaids and Friends Of Mermaids.)

Please
or

teawamutu · 22/12/2018 09:51

God that's a good article. And the comments are so encouraging. Is the tide turning at last?

Please
or

DisrespectfulAdultFemale · 22/12/2018 10:02

I wrote this for all the men who style themselves as rational & scientific yet chide feminists as “transphobic” for pointing out dangerous unscientific ideology Mermaids spread about gender- nonconforming kids

That describes an acquaintance of mine perfectly. He calls himself a "scientist" while accusing women who don't believe that tw are women as "bigots".

Please
or

DisrespectfulAdultFemale · 22/12/2018 10:11

I am glad to see the comments are massively in favour of Ms Turner and Ms Navratilova.

Fuck off, MacKinnon, and take Mermaids with you.

Please
or

Datun · 22/12/2018 10:16

jelly baby faith

🤣🤣🤣

Please
or

MsMcWoodle · 22/12/2018 10:23

Giles Coren has responded

@gilescoren
34m34 minutes ago
More
With you all the way, of course. Question though: You’ve written it for “men who style themselves etc.” But how numerous are they? Surely - surely! - it’s a few hundred weirdos who come pre-ridiculed (Matina’s prime troll has barely 4,000 followers) - are they really significant?

Please
or

Datun · 22/12/2018 10:24

Yes, Giles needs to wake up. As Janice says, they are small, but influential. It's not about the number, it's about the effect.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.