Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Moxie Girlz

28 replies

YunoYurbubson · 07/11/2010 17:24

Are they really any better than Barbies?

OP posts:
Pan · 07/11/2010 17:32

dd and I can't abide the adverts. So, no.

YunoYurbubson · 07/11/2010 17:36

Ahh, we don't have tv so can only go on what they say on the box. There's a lot of COURAGE and STRENGTH and CONFIDENCE, which is gooood... but they're still skinny dolls with unfeasibly long hair and mini skirts...

But that's why dd would like them I suppose.

OP posts:
Pan · 07/11/2010 17:42

still lots of horse riding, dressing glam and the like. Am sure the positive wordings are just there to sucker you in.

sethstarkaddersmum · 07/11/2010 17:42

yes it's not like they actually have short hair and are wearing dungarees, is it?

dd hasn't discovered Barbies yet but from what I remember of a friend's dd, hers used to spend all their time beating each other up and playing football. The child playing with the doll can project the values they want onto it, end the end, but they can't do anything about the physical appearance of the doll, so all that talk of living life to the full and wanting to be a famous film director is probably a bit pointless really if the doll has waist length hair and a huge pout.

sethstarkaddersmum · 07/11/2010 17:43

in the end (typo)

BooBooGlass · 07/11/2010 17:44

Why would the doll (or the girl for that matter) be more likely to be a film director if she had short hair and dungarees?

TheFoosa · 07/11/2010 17:58

oh give over, they are definately better than Bratz dolls

ISNT · 07/11/2010 18:06

Fuck me they're hideous, and that website is just bleurgh.

ISNT · 07/11/2010 18:08

I think the point is that the dolls all look the same, booboo.

dittany · 07/11/2010 18:11

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

msrisotto · 07/11/2010 18:15

Why do they all have stripper names?

TheFoosa · 07/11/2010 18:17

Shock my dd is called Sophina

msrisotto · 07/11/2010 18:18

lol, sorry, that is the most normal name to be fair!

ISNT · 07/11/2010 18:19

I really don't like that the little girl on the front page has visible makeup.

Just not my cup of tea sorry.

msrisotto · 07/11/2010 18:19

Lexa, Bria & Avery?

sethstarkaddersmum · 07/11/2010 18:19

all that hair would get in the way on the set BooBoo. And most of the pics I have seen of film directors at work show them (both sexes) wearing jeans.

I have to admit, Avery (who doesn't seem to have a career plan though she is currently head of the rock climbing club) is wearing things that appear to be a cross between dungarees and a corset.

There aren't many jobs you could do with that much hair all over the place. It would be a health and safety hazard even in an office environment (can you imagine if it got caught in the printer?)

TheFoosa · 07/11/2010 18:20

of course I am joking, she's called Crystal really

sethstarkaddersmum · 07/11/2010 18:20

though you could be a Hooters girls I suppose.

msrisotto · 07/11/2010 18:21

oh, ok duh Blush

YunoYurbubson · 07/11/2010 18:30

But little girls looooove long hair. It's like small girl crack.

Every evening when I clean my 4yo's teeth I tell her funny stories about all the things I am scrubbing out of her teeth - we might find squirrels scampering about, a gentleman going for a stroll on her molars, a fossilised dinosaur, some ducks laying eggs, a field of pumpkins ... and one time I mentioned a lawer with really long hair sitting on a bench eating her sandwiches. Dd is obsessed with this woman. how long is her hair? Is it down to her bottom? Is it wavy or curly or straight? Does she have to put it in a ponytail for lawying? Does she have ribbons in it? What colour are the ribbons? Hmm

OP posts:
Bue · 07/11/2010 20:05

God, I've never heard of them before but they look possibly worse than Barbie! It's the made-up-like-adults faces I really, really don't like.

sethstarkaddersmum · 07/11/2010 20:22

rofl, I am impressed how much imagination you put into tooth cleaning!
I remember loving my Barbie's long hair. (Until I cut it and discovered it didn't grow back.)

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

ISNT · 07/11/2010 20:32

I never liked dolls at all. I wonder what that means...

ISNT · 07/11/2010 20:35

Or ponies or fairies or dolls houses...

I wonder what the ELC would do with a child like me these days? Grin

I was in there the other say and noticed that all of the "craft" activities are in pink boxes. Is there a rule that boys don't like making things now? Unless it's "proper" carpentry/building stuff? That's pretty shit.

StewieGriffinsMom · 07/11/2010 20:54

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.