My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

What can I take for awful period pain?

27 replies

MeatPieWoman · 14/09/2021 15:41

53, on HRT gel and ovestin tablets.
Day 3 of period.
Yesterday was heavy and painful
I have tranexamic acid to ease heaviness. Not sure it helps
Usually one day on pain and I'm ok. I took Ibuprofen and used a hot water bottle
Today I feel nauseous with the pain, ibuprofen hasnt helped.

I read that paracetamol isn't much use for pain, although I'm tempted to try.

Can somebody help please?

Am I missing something? Anything over the counter?

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 14/09/2021 16:11

Have your periods always been heavy and or painful?. In my experience the counter pills don’t always help in the long run. You need to determine the cause rather than solely treat the symptoms.

I would urge you to see a gynaecologist if you have not already done so. Feeling like this is not normal and you should not have to put up with this.

AttilaTheMeerkat · 14/09/2021 16:13

I also found that tranexamic acid tablets were of no real benefit either.

MrsFin · 14/09/2021 16:14

Gin! Or any alcohol - it makes your muscles relax.

mancarose · 14/09/2021 16:14

Cocodamol is the only thing that helps on my periods, you can take ibuprofen alongside this aswel, I also do yoga to ease the pains if you'd consider that xxx

DominicRaabsTravelAgent · 14/09/2021 16:15

Have you ever tried the Mirena Coil? It's the only thing that ever helped me.

CatsOperatingInGangs · 14/09/2021 16:16

I’m peri and I take paracetamol and ibroprufen when my periods are really heavy and painful. When they’re really bad and I’m passing clots, the doubling up is the only thing that works

Shallysally · 14/09/2021 16:16

What @AttilaTheMeerkat said re getting the source of the pain investigated.

In the meantime, a hot water bottle, and when you’re out and about the curaheat patches are soothing.

Try paracetamol, or Anadin extra if you can take aspirin.

MeatPieWoman · 14/09/2021 16:17

@AttilaTheMeerkat They are just getting worse as I get older. It's been gradual.
I sailed through puberty, no PMS or anything until I hit 50ish.

I wondered if the Tranexamic acid may be making things worse? Making more clots to get rid of via contractions?.

OP posts:
ANameChangeAgain · 14/09/2021 16:17

People will jump in to say its hocus pocus, but acupuncture might be worth a try? I have it for my back (in my ear and directly onto my back), and my therapist always puts a couple at the top of my head to help with hormones.

MrsHuntGeneNotJeremyObviously · 14/09/2021 16:18

Ibuprofen with lysine seems to work better for me than just ibuprofen.

OasisOfFerns · 14/09/2021 16:20

Mefenamic acid, its a stronger NSAID than ibuprofen. I get it on prescription. Think it used to be called ponstan.

MeatPieWoman · 14/09/2021 16:20

I don't drink alcoholic but only because I don't like the taste,
I might just get some! Vodka and Ribena?!?!

I think I have co codamol here.
I have a hot water bottle stuffed into my jogging bottoms. I look great!

Is there specific yoga for period pains? Will Google. Thanks I had not thought of that

OP posts:
RunningStrong · 14/09/2021 16:20

I find that paracetamol is the most effective for period pain, but it must be taken before the pain gets a proper grip and then at regular 4 hours intervals to keep on top of it.

AttilaTheMeerkat · 14/09/2021 16:20

I would reiterate seeing a gynaecologist as you need to establish the cause. Endometriosis and fibroids can cause such problems to arise and this warrants further further investigation

AttilaTheMeerkat · 14/09/2021 16:23

In my case an imbalance of both progesterone and estrogen contributed to the heavy menstrual bleeding I was experiencing.

Determining the cause is vitally important

DeclineandFall · 14/09/2021 16:24

Ibuprofen, max dose for at least 3 days before your period starts and then continue. That helps reduce the amount of bleeding by a good bit. I'm 52 and it was recommended by a gynae way back. I notice if I forget. Not sure what sanitary products you are using but I changed recently from tampons/pads to a menstrual disc and my periods seem shorter and less painful.

TheSecondMrsAshwell · 14/09/2021 16:25

@RunningStrong is right, if you can get the painkillers in before it really starts, but instead of straight paracetamol, I use a cold and 'flu remedy, preferably a slow release, it gets on top of the pain and stays there.

thelastgoldeneagle · 14/09/2021 16:32

Feminax is the only thing that works for dd.

abbs1 · 14/09/2021 16:48

@Meatpiewoman I suffer with awful periods. Tried everything for over a decade and finally a GP gave me tranemexic acid and mefanamic acid and its honestly made a huge difference in the heaviness and pain. I have gone from being in bed for 5 days a month to being fine and doing normal daily routine. Im 27 so I dont know if its age dependent on if they can prescribe it but its worth asking. The mefanamic acid is for the pain.

Occitane · 14/09/2021 16:49

I agree with pp who said ponstan, and I've also had naproxen, which was good.

The best thing I've found is a heat pad like this, bigger and hotter than a hot water bottle, doesn't lose heat and no risk of burning yourself with hot water.

MummyJ12 · 14/09/2021 16:56

I always use Solpedine Max, it’s slightly stronger than the usual co-codamol in that it has 12.8mg rather than 8mg of codine, as well as 500mg paracetamol. The soluble ones work really quickly.
Definitely go back to your GP if it gets too bad though.
I can’t drink alcohol during my period. It makes me queasy and sick.

colouringindoors · 14/09/2021 17:26

Max dose of ibuprofen, and if possible start it 48 hours before your period is due. Has been a game changer for me.

Other option is GP to prescribe Mefenemic Acid - pretty good esp if you still do the pre period ibuprofen approach above.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

runwithme · 14/09/2021 17:32

I second mefanamic acid. Hope it eases soon x

Pinkcadillac · 14/09/2021 17:37

Ibuprofen and a couple of sips of brandy

Moonflower12 · 14/09/2021 17:46

Naproxen works really well. It's the active ingredient in Feminax. I get it on prescription- 50 tablets a go so it works out much cheaper than Feminax.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.