My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Heavy duty san pro

40 replies

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:07

Long story short - I am under a gynae, very slow process and not getting a hysterectomy any time soon (got to rule out something else with another department first which is taking forever)

I have attached a photo of the monster tena pad (with loo roll as comparison) I am wearing that still are not really containing The Flood. This week I have bled on 3 pairs of (black) trousers through to one cardigan, one office chair, my bed, my PJ’s and numerous towels down to protect sofa/chairs. I am sick of doing laundry now. I also accidentally blocked the toilet at work because I had so much bloody tissue

I have a very tilted uterus and it’s all pooling then suddenly expelling, out the front, up the back and out of the sides of me. I’ve tried everything. All pads bunch up at the sides around the crotch/vag and leak out that way, most of the time it’s where I am sitting at a bad angle

I can’t use tampons or mooncups I am so sensitive and sore and dry (at the same time as bleeding, weirdly)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Heavy duty san pro
OP posts:
Haworthia · 14/08/2019 23:10

Oh my god, that just sounds horrific and intolerable. Blocking a toilet?

I am appalled that women are expected to put up with hell like that without urgent intervention.

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:13

I feel sorry for anyone incontient. If these don’t contain my period very well what do people do who need them for the purpose they were made for? Shock

OP posts:
TokyoSushi · 14/08/2019 23:14

Oh OP that sounds awful, would tena pants work? Absolutely not ideal at all, but would maybe help you feel a bit more comfortable in the interim?

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:16

My fault for blocking the toilet. I was trying to blot it all off my pants/trousers/cardi because if you soak most of it off quickly with tissue there is less to rinse out and it doesn’t keep transferring to everything else. But I didn’t have a bin or a bag to put it all in (communal loos). I just had to tell the cleaner it had happened and she sorted it out with a bucket!

OP posts:
PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:16

Do tena pants rustle? That’s what I am concerned about

OP posts:
PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:17

Also how do you dispose of them at work? These ones barely fit in a sani bin

OP posts:
INeedNewShoes · 14/08/2019 23:17

I wonder about using period pants as well as a pad. Have you tried that?

The problem with pads is that it's too easy for blood to escape the sides or back. Period pants would give a more secure fit around your back and legs and might help stop leakage.

TokyoSushi · 14/08/2019 23:19

Hmm, not sure, I see your point about the practicalities, just trying to think of something with a bit more coverage...

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:20

I have just googled period pants. They are so expensive 😳
But I think I will have to give them a go if they are good? Do they work at the sides and back or is it just the crotch

OP posts:
Persea · 14/08/2019 23:20

Yes - I was going to suggest period pants too. I guess it depends if the various brands do them yet for super heavy flow. Worth a google.

Persea · 14/08/2019 23:26

Sorry, cross post there.
The ones I’ve looked at (Modibodi) have a fairly substantial ‘pad’ in the entire gusset area. There’s a good video on their website showing how they work.
I’ve ordered moderate/heavy. But you may need to contact them to ask whether this would work for you. Or see if any of the other brands do super-heavy flow.
(Modibodi do 10% off for first purchase or something similar, and obviously they are reusable, so yes, it’s a fairly chunky initial outlay, but if they work it’ll hopefully be worth it. I think they also do a 30 day money day back trial - again, check their website. I don’t work for them! But like you, I thought they were pricey so did my research!)
Good luck.

jellybeanteaparty · 14/08/2019 23:27

Have you been offered any medication to lesson volume? Tranxamic acid or noriserone ?

chestadrawas · 14/08/2019 23:36

You can buy pants on amazon (I think the brand I have is yoyi ) for using with a pad on your period. much cheaper than the branded ones which are designed to be worn without the pad.
They contain a waterproof lining in the gusset and have been lifesaver for me.

I agree with pp that it is appalling what women have to put up with.

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:38

Yes only tranexamic acid. Which makes it gloopy but doesn’t seem to stop the flooding which is just due to the angle of da womb

I have 3 large intramuscular fibroids. I look quite pregnant Angry
18 months ago I had ablation for large uterus lining fibroids
Gynae thinks I may have something wrong with my pituitary gland. But I can’t get an appointment yet with an endocrinologist I’m on a waiting list. I may need an MRI. She won’t do anything surgical until I have the answer from them. She didn’t offer me any other medication either. Just told me to take iron and tran acid

I had been loath to pay £50++ for some pants if she was going to take my womb out. I see her again in September

OP posts:
C0untDucku1a · 14/08/2019 23:41

I have modibodi. They are amazing and a game changer for women.

Im saving up for the costume for my next holiday!

PookieDo · 14/08/2019 23:42

I’ve found some on amazon in my size £17. I’m going to try them I think. I had heard about the flux ones but they are about £25 for one pair I would have to wash and dry them every day

OP posts:
NoClueWithStyle · 14/08/2019 23:54

I don't have identified gynae issues cos I wont go to gp but I do have ridiculously heavy periods. I can have no flow, then a gush of a large amount.

I use 2 pads at a time, one towards the front and the other towards the back. This seems to be much better in catching the gush as it tracks towards the front and back quicker than the pad can absorb it.

I overlap the front one over the back one to ensure there is no gap, and it means that if I haven't had a gush, I dont need to change both pads. It works out expensive using 2 pads all the time but its much less hassle/embarrassment than regularly leaking.
As for disposal at work, take handbag, with empty sandwich bags into bathroom. Wrap in loo roll and into sandwich bag if it wont fit in sani bin at work. I then put it into inner zipped pocket in handbag and dispose of at earliest opportunity. It doesn't smell, if I dont use those horrific scented pads.

I can't wait for menopause so I don't have a week of hell each month.

YesQueen · 14/08/2019 23:55

I was going to say maybe the Tena pants. When mine were really bad I used to use two pads, one pair of knickers and the other a pair of shorts style for more coverage

ohmydaysagain · 15/08/2019 08:43

I use two tena pads they basically cover from my pubis all they way to the top of my bum and keep most of the blood from leaking, I can feel when I'm flooding so go change them straight away. It feels like I'm wearing a nappy. I have tried the tena pull ups at night and they were fine. I don't wear them in the day as I'm petrified of them showing above my waistband and people seeing them Blush

EskewedBeef · 15/08/2019 08:52

I wear leak proof knickers as well as a tampon and towel. Mine are Diary Doll (which I think are no longer produced), but there are plenty of brands available these days. There's a waterproof panel all the way to the waistband at the front and back.

PookieDo · 15/08/2019 11:22

Thanks everyone

Today I am having what I like to call phantom gushes. It’s just some clear liquid

Who would be a woman

OP posts:
IsletsOfLangerhans · 16/08/2019 16:28

I’m suffering similarly. Sat in supermarket car park waiting for DH to do finish shopping, as I’ve flooded yet again this week. Using two overlapping nighttime towels too :( I also have the tilted uterus scenario, with mass gushing occurring at random points during the day. Also have a large fibroid and currently taking Esmya, which has caused me to have a 4 week period this month (going back to GO on Monday). I’ve tried period pants - modibodi, wuka and still leaked unfortunately. Even with a towel. Seriously fed up. Sorry I can’t suggest anything useful

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

IsletsOfLangerhans · 16/08/2019 16:29

And I get the phantom gushings too! My GP looks at me like I’m mad when I tell them this

PookieDo · 16/08/2019 19:38

Ok im not mad then with my phantom gush! I had one today, nothing was coming out!

OP posts:
PookieDo · 16/08/2019 19:38

@IsletsOfLangerhans

It’s shit. Flowers

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.