Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What book changed your life/way if thinking?

topsyandtimison · 08/03/2018 20:33

Anyone have a book that changed their life? It's a cliche but I read 'The Secret' and OMG it was like a huge lightbulb went on. Looking for another inspirational book....

OP's posts:
Please
or

Licencedtodrill · 09/03/2018 19:02

Feel the fear and do it anyway- read it in the new year and has already changed the way I think about things.
I plan on re-reading it every year.

Please
or

ILoveToLaugh · 09/03/2018 19:02

You might want to try "Ask and It Is Given" by Esther Hicks - Rhonda Byrne based The Secret on that. I much prefer it!

Please
or

Autumnchill · 09/03/2018 19:06

A Dale Carnegie book (coupled with a course). Completed changed how I am with people and react to situations. Wish I had read it 10 years earlier

Please
or

NecklessMumster · 09/03/2018 19:09

Being Mortal made a big change to my thinking too, as an adult care social worker, with an elderly father and in laws...I bought lots of copies for others too! Also The female eunuch opened my teenaged eyes...long time ago

Please
or

pygmywarrior · 10/03/2018 06:30

Great thread! Feel the fear and do it anyway is a good one - read it a few times when life changed significantly for me and it helped me be considerably more positive & less anxious. The way of thinking stuck with me too.

Please
or

annandale · 10/03/2018 06:33

It's a cliche on here but A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry made me feel like I never needed to complain about my life again - really for quite a long time. It was an incredibly eye-opening book.

Please
or

TimbuktuTimbuktu · 10/03/2018 06:42

I say this a lot but The Gift of Fear it really changed my perspective on certain behaviours and made me much more confident to trust my instincts.

Please
or

topsyandtimison · 10/03/2018 14:45

This is a cliche but men are from mars and women are from Venus is surprisingly accurate

OP's posts:
Please
or

Timefortea99 · 10/03/2018 17:24

@Annandale - I agree. This is an unforgettable book.

Please
or

WeAreGerbil · 10/03/2018 17:30

The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel van der Kolk. Helped me realise how traumatic my childhood had been and to understand that it wasn't my fault I couldn't get over some of the effects.

And The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

Please
or

topsyandtimison · 10/03/2018 21:24

Wow, I've just read some reviews of 'The Power of Now' on amazon and some other book review website, pretty much everyone saying the book completely changes your life and someone finished it and started reading it again straight away as they loved it so much! It sounds so I interesting and thought provoking. I think I fancy this one, I'm intrigued..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Vitalogy · 11/03/2018 05:52

The Power of Now audio book is on YouTube too, narrated by Eckhart, his voice is so relaxing to listen to.

Please
or

WeAreGerbil · 11/03/2018 07:16

I couldn't finish The Power of Now. I think I found his tone a bit too lecturing. I've already read / listened to a lot of that sort of stuff though so maybe it was just not anything new to me. I was a bit disappointed with myself though!

Please
or

lljkk · 11/03/2018 20:50

The road less travelled (Peck).

The year of living biblically. You will never hear fundie religious people the same.

Please
or

Basseting · 12/03/2018 20:12

placematting for later (sorry)

Please
or

Lobsterquadrille2 · 12/03/2018 20:35

Alcoholics Anonymous.

Please
or

Lobsterquadrille2 · 12/03/2018 20:36

I mean The Big Book. Smile

Please
or

YesILikeItToo · 12/03/2018 22:18

Stumbling Upon Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. Main insight is that people are very poor at predicting what will make them happy. Greatly influenced my decision to go ahead and have a baby. Which has made me very happy!

Please
or

fearfultrill · 13/03/2018 17:39

The Notebook by Agota Kristof.

Amazing amazing book. There's a foreword by Zizek on I think The Guardian(?) website.

Please
or

justanotheruser18 · 20/03/2018 19:59

Most books by Louise Hay, Linda Fields and Susan Jeffers.

Please
or

throwawayagain · 20/03/2018 21:14

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Please
or

Wineloffa · 20/03/2018 21:32

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I read it when I was 21 and it absolutely blew me away. I remember reading the last page and exclaimunf 'WOW!!' It changed how I viewed human evolution and the eternal looping of time. Definitely a life-changing book that everyone should read.

Please
or

Wineloffa · 20/03/2018 21:33

exclaiming - silly phone!!

Please
or

blue25 · 20/03/2018 21:37

Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligmann
Another vote for The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Please
or

seabase · 20/03/2018 21:41

@Rubyslippers7780 snap ... definitely a good one!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.