Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What book changed your life/way if thinking?

topsyandtimison · 08/03/2018 20:33

Anyone have a book that changed their life? It's a cliche but I read 'The Secret' and OMG it was like a huge lightbulb went on. Looking for another inspirational book....

OP's posts:
Please
or

cakegoblin · 20/03/2018 21:43

Threads like these are why I love Mumsnet!
Reading Sapiens right now after a lifetime of interest in evolution, social history and environmental issues. The piecemeal picture I had of the past and the history of our species, the way things were and the way things are now has just been blown apart and rebuilt, almost from scratch, it's like seeing clearly for the first time.

Please
or

Mrsmomo · 20/03/2018 21:48

Great thread, will be adding some of these to my reading list.

Please
or

Mrsmomo · 20/03/2018 21:49

Starting with the power of now, thanks.

Please
or

Wineloffa · 20/03/2018 21:53

I also loved the Power of Now and have lent my copy to several friends.

Please
or

FellOutOfBed2wice · 20/03/2018 21:56

A recent one was How Not to be a Boy by Robert Webb. Made me really think about gender identity and toxic masculinity.

Please
or

AdelicaArundel · 20/03/2018 22:27

The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama

At a very difficult time, this was recommended to me.
I thought the recommender was being very "right on" and worthy.
I read it (slowly) and it is fabulous. It's not a read over the course of 10days book...more of a read a chapter and practice how to use it in daily life.
I'm not great at using the lessons- but I know that when I try, my life is much lighter and happier, although my external circumstances haven't changed.

I sound a bit worthy myself don't I? Blush

Please
or

Brokenbiscuit · 21/03/2018 06:34

Great idea for a thread!

Please
or

be47 · 21/03/2018 06:36

Jessica Valenti's 'the Purity Myth'. Let off a line of thinking in my brain 7 years ago that's led me to be starting an MA in gender in September.

Please
or

CrazyDuchess · 21/03/2018 08:32

Following Flowers

Please
or

HappydaysArehere · 27/03/2018 10:01

Ghandi a biography. His words “we are trapped by our belongings” resonates whenever I wonder what I should do about any valuables when I go on holiday!

Please
or
Please
or

Teenageromance · 31/03/2018 22:22

This thread has cost me a fortune on Amazon 😄. So I’m really enjoying Happy by Darren Brown as recommended up thread. It’s a very deep book, not what I expected from him at all and very well written.

Please
or

AdelicaArundel · 02/04/2018 10:51

Really Teenage?
I wasn't sure from the Amazon reviews...and I read some of the "Look Inside" portion. You think it's worthwhile reading?

Please
or

Teenageromance · 02/04/2018 14:40

Yes I do - it’s not really a self help book but more how different philosophies over the centuries have had an impact on happiness. I’m only a quarter of the way through and have learnt a lot

Please
or

AdelicaArundel · 02/04/2018 15:44

Thanks Flowers

Please
or

sandandc · 03/04/2018 14:39

Totally agree with Feel the Fear.
If you are introverted or have been called shy or have friends/partner who are/is:
The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N Aron

Please
or

runningdoll · 12/04/2018 18:26

The creative habbit by Twyla Tharp. This came highly recommended by artistic types, for me it's been a 'how too' of being more creative and actually getting things done.

The book has saved my sanity tbh, my mind used to be a clutter of worthy ideas and I never knew where to start.

Please
or

MissPiggysKarateChop · 12/04/2018 20:33

'The Female Eunuch' by Germaine Greer, nothing was every quite the same for me after that and I'm not sure it was a good thing to have the scales fall from my eyes so young. But I'm looking to this thread for more positive ideas Smile

Please
or

GhostsToMonsoon · 13/04/2018 18:04

A book I've read relatively recently that has stayed with me is 'Strangers Drowning' by Larissa MacFarquahar. I'll never be an extreme altruist, but it encouraged me to think about charitable giving in a new way, and was generally very thought-provoking and interesting to read about different people's approaches to life.

One book I wish I'd read as a teenager is Dervla Murphy's autobiography 'Wheels within Wheels' (I only read it a year or so ago). It might have motivated me to be more adventurous.

Please
or

redexpat · 13/04/2018 18:15

How to do everything and be happy by Peter Jones.

Please
or

hilbobaggins · 15/04/2018 09:06

Byron Katie - Loving What Is. It led me to watching a ton of her videos on YouTube, and then listening to the Ernest Holm Svendson podcasts about using her technique which made it all much clearer. I now use her 4 questions regularly, and it’s the most helpful thing I’ve come across for freeing yourself from your thoughts and seeing more clearly what’s actually going on. And realising it’s all actually ok.

Please
or

bootygirl · 23/04/2018 10:14

The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. Has changed my life and how I deal with anxiety & self belief.

Please
or

CalmConfident · 05/05/2018 19:43

Quiet by Susan Cain is a great book about introversion.

Please
or

hackmum · 06/05/2018 13:42

Purity and Danger by Mary Douglas. It’s a work of anthropology that explains how particular groups, tribes and religions define themselves as cleaner and more pure than out-groups, as a way of creating social cohesion. Completely eye opening. Since reading it, I’ve always seen the world through that lens.

Please
or

KaliforniaDreamz · 06/05/2018 13:48

flowertoday yes that book effected me profoundly.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.