My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

URGENT- 4 months til wedding- need to drop 2 dress sizes, is it possible? HOW???

30 replies

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 13:55

Please help. I will be grateful of any tips, even useless ones.

How the hell am I guna achieve this? I never have time to myself to exercise as I'm always at work or being a mummy/ fiancee.

I've got to do it, I'm a fat 16, blobby, messy, embarressed.

Help me help me help me. Make me your project!!!!

OP posts:
MissisBoot · 02/03/2009 14:02

How about keeping a food and exercise diary for a week and then posting it on here.

Then we can know what your starting point is.

2 dress sizes is probably about 2 stone so easily achieveable in 4 months I think.

CMOTDibbler · 02/03/2009 14:07

If you can afford it, then something like LighterLife can get you that sort of weightloss quickly. No guarantees on it staying off (friend lost 6 stone, but has put it all back on - but she's done this yoyo a few times) though.

You don't exercise on it apparently, and it doesn't involve cooking extra things, so doesn't need loads of time

thehairybabysmum · 02/03/2009 14:10

Hypnosis worked for me, not cheap though. And could you do a little exercise..involve kids/fiancee if you dont get ANY time on your own?

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 14:13

How much exercise would I need to do in order to lose this kind of weight? A lot?

OP posts:
MissisBoot · 02/03/2009 14:31

Its not just exercise - you need to look at what you eat and activity together.

Do you do any exercise at the moment? Walk to work?

Could you make 30 mins a day three times a week to have dedicated to going for a fast walk/run/swim/gym class?

lulu05 · 02/03/2009 14:31

A sensible weight loss is 2lb a week - that would prob equate to 2 dress sizes over 4 months. Eat less, exercise more. Can you do weight watchers? And exercise can be anything that raises your heart rate - can you walk more? 20 mins round the block in the evening? over 4 months it can really make a difference. I gave up alcohol in the months before my wedding and the weight dropped off - is there any one thing you can think of which you can cut out/ change? Just trying to give you some ideas....

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 14:33

I eat well, and I lost 5 stone just before I had the baby, but I piled it back on whilst pregnant, and it just doesn't seem to be coming off unless I don't eat anything at all this time around!

I could maybe manage 30 mins walk 3 times a week?

OP posts:
MissisBoot · 02/03/2009 14:39

Congratulations on losing 5 stone - that's brilliant. Did you use a diet club to do that or your own diet?

Don't starve yourself or your body will just hold onto fat.

How old is your baby?

Does your fiancee work regular hours - mon-fri? Maybe he could do bed and bath and you could then do exercise then?

beanieb · 02/03/2009 14:41

I have always been told that a dress size is 10lbs so you probably need to lose 20.

Just over 2lbs a week. You can do it but the only way would be to limit calories and excercise.

Are there very simple things you can do like walk instead of getting the bus or in the car, giving up alcohol etc?

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 14:52

Hmm my life is pretty hectic- I've been battling to lose weight for 9 months- since 2 days after DS was born, and I can't seem to find time to exercise.

MissisBoot- I did it on my own but I can't remember how it seems like ages ago lol.

OP posts:
LibrasJusticeLeagueofBiscuits · 02/03/2009 14:54

If you have 30minutes 3 times a week come and join us over here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sports_and_exercise/675059-Right-I-am-starting-39-couch-potato-to-5k-39

RockinSockBunnies · 02/03/2009 14:57

If you want long-term, steady weight loss, then I'd recommend Slimming World. You can probably lose 2 stone following the plan for the next four months.

If you want to spectacularly crash-diet and lose lots of weight very fast, then the South Beach of Atkins diets work very well if you have sufficient will-power. However, weight tends to go straight back on again as soon as you start eating normally.

hunnybun1981 · 02/03/2009 14:59

join slimming world its great you can eat loads and still have treats.

and start walking and drinking lots of water.

suwoo · 02/03/2009 15:00

Or Weight Watchers

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 15:19

Slimming world looks really fattening compared to what I eat now!

I basically want to be able to eat healthily if at all in the day and then eat whatever I want for tea but it just doesn't work like that, I guess.

OP posts:
MissisBoot · 02/03/2009 15:29

No you can't do that!

Why don't you post what you would eat on an average day? I bet you aren't eating enough and that's why you aren't losing weight.

You can't starve yourself in the day and then eat junk for tea as this will just mean you are filling up on empty calories.

I can recommend weightwatchers - teaches you how to eat a balanced diet combined with exercise with a bit of willpower mixed in for good measure

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 15:35

Breakfast- Porridge with soya milk or some tinned pears or a banana- if anything

Dinner- Humous on brown toast, or tuna on brown bread, or a salad- if anything.

Tea- Fish cakes with pitta or jacket potato and cottage cheese or burger and chips or dominoes pizza, or chicken salad or shepherd's pie or corn beef hash or tuna on a jacket potato - you get the jist

OP posts:
MissisBoot · 02/03/2009 15:52

I think the key to this is to definitely make sure you eat breakfast and lunch.

Porridge and fruit is a good breakfast choice - what about a poached egg on toast with tomatoes as an alternative - or fruit and low fat yoghurt with honey.

Hummus and toast is good if you eat it with a large salad or bowl of veg soup to fill you up. I used to eat rice cakes with philidelphia and salad then grapes on the side when I was doing weightwatchers.

Dinner is obviously the problem area. You can't eat dominoes pizza or burger and chips and expect to lose weight - maybe once a week at a push.

Fishcakes and jacket pot is a good healthy choice - add some baked beans to it.

Shepherds pie is fine, but make sure you have a small portion and lots of veggies on the side.

What are your portion sizes like?
Do you eat the same size as your dp?
Do you both sit down together to eat at the table?

I'd also add a morning and afternoon snack into your diet - nothing big - just an apple or something to get you through to the next meal.

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 15:58

We eat together but neither of us eats that much. I probably eat more than him in fact! We probably do have burger or chips about once a week- which is quite a lot really. I just HATE cooking with a passion.

We both love fishcakes so that's good, will add beans. We do love our veggies, too.

LOVE poached egg, too.

OP posts:
spokette · 02/03/2009 16:31

You have to start by being honest with yourself. Write down every morsel that you eat including snacks. Also, how much alcohol do you drink because that contains what I call empty calories.

If you really serious about losing weight (and you have successfully done this before so well done), eat healthily, drink lots of water, halve your portion size, limit your alcohol intake and move around more. Remember though, no amount of exercise will make a difference if are ingesting more calories that you are expending.

If you want a fast track way to get started, try juicing (there is a long thread). That is what I did and lost 8lb in my first week. Carried on with the less severe version and lost nearly 18lb altogether and have kept it off because I changed my eating habits, tend not to snack, restrict junk food, drink lots of water and exercise 3 to 4 times a week.

Good luck!

MumOfBaby · 02/03/2009 16:56

I think the water thing could be a good one for me. It helped last time, but this time I haven't been drinking much water. I don't snack or drink (I may have a couple of glasses of wine once a month at the very most, and even then it's weight watcher's rose, which is lovely by the way).

I need to cut out pizza first and foremost. I am naturally quite big anyway and I have ridiculously huge knockers

OP posts:
beanieb · 02/03/2009 21:47

I would recommend something like Calanetics (sp) or pilates because it tones you and improves posture. You can look much better with good posture, specially if your large norks make you prone to slouching.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Ohforfoxsake · 02/03/2009 21:59

To be blunt: its not rocket science. You eat less and move more and stop dieting right now.

Dieting sets you up to fail. We deprive ourselves, have something 'bad' then feel awful, and have something 'bad' because we feel awful.

Look at what you eat and why.

This is what I did after Christmas (size 16, 5ft 4, beachball ):
For a week I ate whatever I wanted, but I wrote everything down. I was at what I consumed but didn't actually eat IYSWIM. A biscuit when the kids had one, a bit of chocolate when I opened the fridge door... by the second week I realised that just thinking about what was going in made me eat less. It was a really good way of taking some control (control being a key word for me).

I can pin point the reasons why I eat what I do. DP being away so a 'treat' at the end of the day, that kind of thing.

Portions - use a smaller plate. Dinner plates are much bigger than they used to be.

Eat with the children at tea-time. Don't eat afterwards. A cup of skimmed milk at bedtime to stave off any hunger pangs.

Have a big breakfast (eggs are great) a good lunch, and a moderate dinner.

After taking control I signed up to weightwatchers online (I appreciate the hypocrasy of shouting STOP DIETING at you ) but this gives me the parameters within which to work (i.e. portion size and snacking which is my downfall). And it gives me control, as I still keep track of everything.

I go to the gym at 6.30am and am back in time to do breakfast at 8. I hate going, but love it once I am there.

I'm a size 12 now

I really hope something here helps. I wish you all the very best of luck, it really is possible

Ohforfoxsake · 03/03/2009 12:37

Sorry I killed your thread in my being harsh, yet kind, approach

MumOfBaby · 04/03/2009 21:16

Thanks for all this great advice, I am taking it on board. Today I've drunk water and I already feel much less bloated and bunged up. I had:

Peppermint tea for breakfast, didn't have time for anything else.
Chicken on brown for dinner.
A soya yoghurt for a snack.
A pasta salad and chicken for tea.

I've decided the thing that's holding me back is the fact I feel so hopeless and like I'll never get there so what's the point. Also, DP hates anything I cook so he always wants to get take aways when he gets in at 8pm.

My food scheme for tomorrow is:
Porridge with fat free soya milk.
Low Fat feta cheese with rocket and water cress for dinner.
Soya yoghurt for snack.
Plan chicken and veg for tea- at the same time baby has his so we can eat the same thing at the same early time.

I WILL stick to it. Sound good? Come Onnnnn I can do it!!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.