Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Too much, too soon?

plus3 · 23/05/2020 11:44

Hello all - I have started this week (Monday) to try to lose the perpetual 2stone that I have had since the DC were born. DC1 is nearly 16! Grin
I am 5ft 8 and weighed 12st 7lbs. I would be happy at 10st 7lb.
I am using My fitness Pal - to lose 1.5lbs a week it suggested 1,330 kcal a day. I have also added in Time restricted eating at 14:10 so eat between 10am-8pm. I am interested in this for the health associated benefits.

Anyway, I weighed myself this morning & I have lost 5lbs =12.2. In 5 days...that’s bonkers isn’t it??

I really don’t want to do something unrealible - I so want to make suitable changes that last, and this feels a bit like a crash diet (although I haven’t cut out any food groups etc)
Am I worrying unnecessarily?? MFP is suggesting I would be 11.11 in 5 weeks..

OP's posts:
Please
or

twostripycats · 23/05/2020 11:46

That rate of weight loss is very unlikely to continue. You will probably find that next time you weigh you’ll lose a lb or two. Many people drop a lot the first week. Well done though!

Please
or

Emmagen · 23/05/2020 11:51

The first few lbs are always the easiest and women's weight often fluctuates slightly due to hormones. If I started a diet coming off my period I would easily lose that much or more in the first week. Not in the second week!

It is quite a fast diet though, if I remember rightly the most you can set for weekly loss on MFP is 2lb a week. You might find adjusting it to a loss of 1lb a week might help you make better long term changes?

Please
or

plus3 · 23/05/2020 11:58

I have always fluctuated by a few lbs due to water retention, but was feeling particularly solid at 12st 7.
I just don’t want it to pile back on once daily calories go up a bit

OP's posts:
Please
or

DianaT1969 · 23/05/2020 12:00

Take it as a win! Some will be water. Bound to slow as you continue. Well done!

Please
or

plus3 · 23/05/2020 12:24

Ok Smile Will relax - I have never had that big whoosh of weight loss, has always been 1-2lbs at most then a soul destroying 0.5 per week.

OP's posts:
Please
or

justanotherneighinparadise · 23/05/2020 12:28

Keep going. Don’t get demoralised if it shows down 👍

Please
or

Moo678 · 25/05/2020 22:20

Hey. I’m the same height and weight as you and I long to be 10 at 7 again too. I’ve done weight watchers several times (it always works until I have another baby then it takes me two years to sort myself out!) and each time I lose around 5lbs in the first week. My losses then even out at 1-2lbs a week so I think what you’ve experienced is totally normal.

Please
or

plus3 · 25/05/2020 22:42

Thanks Smile- ridiculous to worry about something that should be a positive!! Just has never happened before. Usually my weight loss is torturously slow

OP's posts:
Please
or

blubberball · 27/05/2020 08:53

Well done! Keep going! Smile

Please
or

EndlessUserName · 27/05/2020 09:32

Well done! Definitely a boost, weight loss will slow down, even half a pound or nothing at all sometimes, it's the downward trend that you want overall :) Jordan syatt on YouTube is brilliant at explaining this. Good luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.