Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Chip Shop Chip Dilemma.

47 replies

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:39

Hi Mums,
I’m sure it’s obvious I’m a nervous first time Mum but mortified that a well meaning Friend of mine was giving my 8 Month old a cuddle and then allowed him to eat the end of his (what I assume salty) chip shop chip, I never had any so no idea if it was very salty as I never had any, but concerned that it may cause issues for his little body. 🙃🙃 I’m probably being silly as He’s currently napping as normal after his Breastmilk, He’s due his routine evening Banana supper shortly which I’m guessing would counteract it with the Potassium, But just need other Parents opinions to ease my exhausted mind.

OP posts:
Please
or

GiltEdges · 04/11/2022 21:40

Not even a whole chip? Huge overreaction.

Please
or

DebbieDoesDoughnuts · 04/11/2022 21:41

He’ll be fine.

I presume you’re not in the UK, but am guessing that whoever you are doesn’t have a different version is chips that are 100% salt.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 04/11/2022 21:41

he’ll be fine - it’s a tiny amount

it’s as exhausting life stage

Please
or

SisterGeorgeMichael · 04/11/2022 21:42

Not the same but my friend was breast feeding her newborn whilst talking to me and eating a packet of chocolate buttons. She dropped one and it melted on her boob and the baby ended up with the melted button right in her mouth.

I can understand you being worried about the salt. Flowers

Please
or

Comefromaway · 04/11/2022 21:43

Why did you assume the chip was salty? Lots of people don’t salt their chips.

Please
or

toor · 04/11/2022 21:44

It's one chip. If that. A banana would be a nice tea but won't 'counteract' a salty chip because that's not a thing

Please
or

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:46

Thanks for making me feel even more stupid, cheers. 👍🏼 I’ve been through a hell of alot in my life to make me as overly caring the way I am.

OP posts:
Please
or

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:47

GiltEdges · 04/11/2022 21:40

Not even a whole chip? Huge overreaction.

Thanks for making me feel even more stupid, cheers. 👍🏼 I’ve been through a hell of alot in my life to make me as overly caring the way I am.

OP posts:
Please
or

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:47

Comefromaway · 04/11/2022 21:43

Why did you assume the chip was salty? Lots of people don’t salt their chips.

He usually puts salt and vinegar on everything, makes me cringe lol.

OP posts:
Please
or

Janedoe82 · 04/11/2022 21:48

Half the babies in Ireland were given chips to suck in the 80s. Myself included. No permanent damage done

Please
or

DebbieDoesDoughnuts · 04/11/2022 21:48

Are you in the UK?

Please
or

mileaminute · 04/11/2022 21:48

Baby will be fine.

As an aside, chip shop chips that aren't drowning in vinegar aren't worth having! Grin

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 04/11/2022 21:49

I’ve seen babies that small sucking on a Greggs sausage roll in town. It’ll be fine.

Please
or

toor · 04/11/2022 21:49

If you're going to get defensive why even bother posting? Yes your child will be totally and irreversibly damaged by eating the end of one Chip.. Halloween Confused is that what you to hear? Because that's bollocks and you know it. Hard time in your life or not. 1 chip won't kill him

Please
or

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:49

DebbieDoesDoughnuts · 04/11/2022 21:41

He’ll be fine.

I presume you’re not in the UK, but am guessing that whoever you are doesn’t have a different version is chips that are 100% salt.

Funnily enough I am from the UK, but thanks for the reassurance. This Parenting lark is anxiety inducing. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

OP posts:
Please
or

Puddlepup · 04/11/2022 21:50

He will be fine try not to sweat the small stuff

Please
or

DebbieDoesDoughnuts · 04/11/2022 21:50

Why are you giving your child his “routine evening banana supper” at close to 10pm?

Please
or

userxx · 04/11/2022 21:50

MotherNaturesJournal · 04/11/2022 21:46

Chill the fuck out. You asked for opinions, not point getting arsey 🤷‍♂️

A bit of salty chip won't cause long term damage.

Please
or

RewildingAmbridge · 04/11/2022 21:51

OP sorry you're getting some stick, I wouldn't have liked it either, I know some people wean their DC on McDonald's and wotsits and they survive, but those weren't my choices. It was a tiny bit and it sounds like you're feeding him an otherwise healthy salt free diet. He'll be fine give yourself a break

Please
or

YomAsalYomBasal · 04/11/2022 21:51

Honestly it's fine

Please
or

LeafHunter · 04/11/2022 21:52

Baby will be fine but it might be good to talk to the person supporting you with your anxiety or get some help - parenting is hard so getting help early is important.

Please
or

GoAgainstNicki · 04/11/2022 21:53

KangarooKenny · 04/11/2022 21:49

I’ve seen babies that small sucking on a Greggs sausage roll in town. It’ll be fine.

🤣

Please
or

lottie198 · 04/11/2022 21:56

He will be okay don't worry. Probably enjoyed it ! For reference babies can have up to 1g per salt a day. I generally don't check salt too much as I know what I put in my home cooking and most gets thrown on the floor anyway (10 months old). X

Please
or

Fluffluff · 04/11/2022 21:56

Ah yes I get the anxiety and it's easy for lots of us who've been there to tell you it's all fine.
There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your child but honestly it won't harm him

Please
or

YellowDots · 04/11/2022 21:57

Why are you engaging only with the posts that are telling you that you are overreacting and not to the ones reassuring you?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?