Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

What to do with down-filled coats??

whateveryousay · 29/08/2021 07:36

I have been vegan for a few years now, not only with regards to plant-based eating, but I try my best to buy vegan clothes, shoes, make up etc.
However, before I ‘saw the light’, for want of a better phrase, I bought a down-filled winter coat. A very warm, expensive one, which is actually not the point I suppose.
This makes me feel very sad, and I don’t need any lectures about how bad it is. I understand.
But what should I do with it?? It feels very wrong to just ‘bin’ it, as I feel that belittles what went in to it. Of course I won’t sell it, and profit from it. And I don’t want to give it away either, as I don’t feel it should be worn.
What would you do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LindaEllen · 29/08/2021 07:42

If it was me (bear in mind I'm not vegan) I'd wear it until you'd throw it away naturally, ie when you need a new one. Just like I'd finish whatever food I had in the house, or I'd use cleaning/beauty products. I'd make sure everything I bought from there on in was vegan, but I wouldn't be throwing anything out before its time.

Any non vegan clothes or useable items once I was done with them I'd give to charity like I'd do with any other clothes etc, then they'd be doing some good.

I think veganism is to be admired and I wish I had the dedication to overhaul my life like that. But at the same time I also think if you throw things away without using them, any animal that was harmed/killed to produce that product then died for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

So if it was me I'd draw a line and say everything I buy from now will be vegan, but anything I already own will still get used.

Please
or

Caramellatteplease · 29/08/2021 07:44

Is best for the world that we all use the products we already have until their destruction. If you dont feel you can wear it, give it away

Please
or

milian · 29/08/2021 07:45

How about giving it to a charity for refugees etc if you genuinely don’t want to wear it? It would be much appreciated there - and the birds suffering wouldn’t be in vain.

Please
or

RestingPandaFace · 29/08/2021 07:45

I’m not vegan but I do have a strong sense that if you are going to kill animals for consumption you should use everything and waste nothing. So for me it’s morally worse for that animal product to be wasted in the bin than to be used.

I would wear it until it wears out or if you can’t bear to then hold onto it until the weather turns and give it to a homeless charity.

Please
or

Hollyhead · 29/08/2021 07:46

Give it to a homeless shelter? I respect your views, but surely if it was used to abate a vulnerable human suffering/discomfort that’s the least worst option?

Please
or

Heruka · 29/08/2021 07:48

@Caramellatteplease

Is best for the world that we all use the products we already have until their destruction. If you dont feel you can wear it, give it away

I agree with this, why shouldn’t it be worn? Is it about the message it gives to others? I would bet that the vast majority of people would give no thought to this. I am veggie and would never buy a coat like this but think helping animals and the planet is best not made puritanical, having a happy and relaxed mind about your choices and those of others, is a better goal. But fantastic you are making important changes.
Please
or

Mumoftwoinprimary · 29/08/2021 07:48

@RestingPandaFace

I’m not vegan but I do have a strong sense that if you are going to kill animals for consumption you should use everything and waste nothing. So for me it’s morally worse for that animal product to be wasted in the bin than to be used.

I would wear it until it wears out or if you can’t bear to then hold onto it until the weather turns and give it to a homeless charity.

This. (Also not a vegan or even vegetarian.)
Please
or

Buttons294749 · 29/08/2021 07:58

Lots of charities distribute coats to the homeless and they have drives starting in autumn for this, I think that's the best thing

Please
or

Theworldisquiethere · 29/08/2021 08:00

If you’ve already got it, wear it. You’re not supporting the down industry any more than you already have by wearing it now.

Please
or

cushioncovers · 29/08/2021 08:06

Just carry on wearing it. Throwing it out won't help the animals that have already died to make it. I no longer eat meat but still have an old leather sofa and some older leather shoes that I use. Binning them now won't save the calves/cows that died to produce them so what's the point. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

LublinToDublin · 29/08/2021 08:08

Wear it or donate it.

Please
or

UseOfWeapons · 29/08/2021 08:12

I’d wear it until it falls to bits. That way, at least you’re not buying yet another new thing, no matter how it was made, or where it comes from.
If you don’t feel like doing this, keep it until the autumn. The Salvation Army usually have a a campaign for winter coats in good condition, and quilts, blankets etc., that they can distribute to the homeless , or refugees coming into the UK with nothing. I did this a few years back, with a beautiful coat my ex had given me. He was abusive, and it felt like a straitjacket. I donated it, and took some comfort in the thought that it was going to someone who would appreciate it, and not have the associations that I had with it.

Please
or

Lockdownbear · 29/08/2021 08:13

Wear it or donate it.

What will you replace it with?
A coat filled with man made fibre, which will be worn for a few years then left to rot in landfill and take 100s of years to break down?
One decent thing about natural products they will rot away when put in landfill so actually better for the planet than the man made alternative.

Its not a black and white answer.

Please
or

SwanShaped · 29/08/2021 08:16

Wear it. Depending on your reasons for being vegan, buying something new and made of plastics, is as bad for animal welfare and destruction of our natural world that not buying anything new. Or, donate it but buy a second hand synthetic replacement for yourself.

Please
or

shallIswim · 29/08/2021 08:27

Keep wearing it. That's by far the most sustainable thing you can do. Thereafter buy a synthetic one made of recycled material. DunnO your budget but Finistere have good ones. And they do repairs.

Please
or

Whereto · 29/08/2021 08:29

@Caramellatteplease

Agree with this
Please
or

Potatwoah · 29/08/2021 08:32

I've been vegan for a few years now, appreciate its a personal decision but personally I carried on wearing my leather shoes and then replaced them when they wore out, and donated my leather jacket etc.

You could either keep it and wear it, if not comfortable donate it or sell it and donate what you make to animal welfare charities?

Please
or

Potatwoah · 29/08/2021 08:32

Or keep the money of course!

Please
or

HollyGrail · 29/08/2021 08:37

You can put feathers on a compost heap. Wet them first so they don't blow away.

Please
or

PatchworkElmer · 29/08/2021 08:41

This issue comes up a lot on vegan groups. I am a vegan and personally I’d use it until it wore out, or donate to a homeless charity. I still have a pair of leather shoes, and our sofa is leather. When they both wear out, I will be replacing them with vegan alternatives.

Please
or

MeredithGreyishblue · 29/08/2021 08:41

If you can't bear to wear down then donate it. For goodness sake don't destroy it to replace it with, essentially, 2 plastic ones.

Please
or

OverTheRubicon · 29/08/2021 08:44

@MeredithGreyishblue

If you can't bear to wear down then donate it. For goodness sake don't destroy it to replace it with, essentially, 2 plastic ones.

Exactly this. If you're such a fashion influencer that people seeing you in it will make them go out and buy another one, either keep it yourself or donate it to a charity for the homeless or refugees where it will be appreciated.
Please
or

MoonbeamSprinkles · 29/08/2021 08:45

I’ve been vegan 5 years and I still have leather and silk things that I wear from before I went vegan.

I wouldn’t buy anything new but I don’t think that throwing them away is the best for the animals, environment or for me.

If however it makes you feel guilty or sad wearing it then give it to a charity looking for warm winter coats.

But don’t do this because it makes you feel like not a good enough vegan to wear it, that’s bullshit.

Most people aren’t born vegan and we don’t live in a vegan world.

I actually really struggle buying warm winter coats that aren’t fast fashion and don’t contain wool or down and do t cost a million pounds. I would enjoy having a nice warm coat for a few years and hopefully there’ll be more choice when it wears out.

Please
or

Craftycorvid · 29/08/2021 08:59

I’d wear it and repair it until it’s truly worn out; that’s best for the environment and the best way to respect the lives of the animals involved in making the garment to begin with. A really good quality down-filled coat will be more durable than many synthetic analogues, so you should get a lot of use from it. If you really can’t bear to wear it any more, you could eBay it and donate the proceeds to an animal welfare charity. Either way, it’s an ethical choice as someone will be getting a good used item rather than buying new and feeding the cycle of over-production and consumption.

Please
or

torchh · 29/08/2021 09:02

I don't understand why wearing plastic fabrics are seen as better?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.