My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

powerful LED head torch for finding horse in field at night!

12 replies

MetellaInCulinaBibit · 23/01/2014 12:41

After a bit of a panic last night when I was unable to find my loan horse in his rather large field, and realising that my current head torch is not even as good as 'woefully inadequate' (!) I'm going to buy a decent one.

Can anyone recommend one (under £20) with both good distance range & close up too (I see some have adjustable 'beams' which look like a good idea)

Thanks!

OP posts:
ClaireAnneJames · 23/01/2014 12:59

Hah this sounds like I could have posted it! I have a loan horse in an enormous field and had the same problem exactly. I got this torch for Xmas: www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-D1001BK-Lightweight-Spot-Light/dp/B004DUUJP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ATG3WXYZ2VZR&coliid=IFOOUWNJKQGP4&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 it's not a head torch but it's powerful and best of all rechargeable. Fortunately though I discovered after switching my loan mare from hay to haylage, that she loves the stuff so much she's up at the gate waiting for me in the evening now, and my daughter's found that if she goes earlier she just has to shine the torch beam down the field from the top gate and call and the mare sees it and comes up by herself - wonderful, as our field is now more of a muddy swimming pool and having to wade out there for a 40 minute horse-search had me almost at breaking point....

Lovesswimming · 23/01/2014 13:33

no help with the torch but how about stitching a strip of reflector tape on her rug as well? you'll puck up where she is from further away (if she's rugged that is)

craggyhollow · 23/01/2014 19:13

We have a few but the petzl ones from amazon are the best by miles

MetellaInCulinaBibit · 23/01/2014 22:57

Claire - thanks, but I need hands free as I have to get his girlfriend in at the same time

loveswimming - trouble is I need to be able to work out where he is in a massive field (with hilly bits, ditches & a wood to hide beside) before I can shine a torch on him. will have a go though, it's a good idea

craggyhollow - thanks, they get good reviews on Amazon, I'll have a closer look.

thanks all for your suggestions

x

OP posts:
CheshireSplat · 24/01/2014 04:22

Another vote for petzl here. They're small and very strong!

frostyfingers · 24/01/2014 08:46

Two options: reflective paint or tape as already suggested, or less practical - get a grey horse/pony as they show up better. I can never find bay dhorse, but unrugged grey(ish) pony is much easier to see!

Rooners · 24/01/2014 08:47

Yes I think decorating the horsewith fairy lights may well work better Grin

Or painting it day-glo

Butkin · 24/01/2014 10:41

The Petzls have a good reputation. We've used head torches for years but recently have noticed they are easier to catch if we're not wearing them. There is something about them which seems to make the ponies jumpy. Our fields, although decent sized, are pretty straightforward with no obstructions but we've just taken to wandering around until we see their shapes. It is amazing how your eyes get accustomed to the dark.

sanityawol · 24/01/2014 10:46

You can get head torches with red LEDs - not so great for long distance, but they seem to work a treat when you're approaching the pony. They don't spook him like the white lights do.

Petzl do seem to be a good brand.

ElaClaw · 24/01/2014 11:11
SaggyOldClothCatPuss · 24/01/2014 23:52

Duracel? Energiser one from Millets. It was about £12. Its the best one I've tried. It has 2 settings and the light up bit is adjustable. Takes AAA batteries. It doesn't light up the whole paddock, but its great for picking out eyeballs in the distance. Last time I looked it picked out an extra set!! After a minor freak out, I identified it as a cat sitting on a fence post! Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.