Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Would it be “easier” to be an English or Maths teacher?

FunRequirement · 18/10/2018 10:49

I’m about to apply to PGCE programs, and I’ve got a BA with a heavy English literature component as well as courses for an Accounting masters. I’m not very good at calculus so I would only teach up to GCSE.

I haven’t decided which to apply for, but I would really appreciate any info here.

Which job is objectively easier? Which one forces you to do more marking? I’m not sure how deep marking(?) would happen in a maths course?

Which subject is easier to get a job with? I noticed that maths gets more bursary but there seems to be more job posting for English online?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FunRequirement · 18/10/2018 10:50

Job postings*

OP's posts:
Please
or

PhilODox · 18/10/2018 10:53

Are you certain the accountancy course would be considered as a degree in a numerate discipline? I don't think you'd get on a maths pgce with that...

Please
or

thethoughtfox · 18/10/2018 10:54

I don't think you get to choose not to teach A level.

Please
or

PhilODox · 18/10/2018 10:54

Neither is an easy option- maybe go into accountancy?

Please
or

DunesOfSand · 18/10/2018 10:58

I think it would be "easier", and more interesting, to teach the subject you have more passion for.
So, for me, maths. For my mate, English. Ask us to swap, and we'd both struggle.
Does your accounting course count as maths degree? Have you actually got the MSc, or just components of it?

Please
or

FunRequirement · 18/10/2018 11:06

This is the program I’m looking at

www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-secondary-mathematics/

I also did maths courses for my BA (done abroad equivalent to a 2.2). It says you don’t have to have a maths degree, and just need “An A Level in Mathematics (or equivalent qualification)”. You can also do subject knowledge enhancement, “If you want to teach Mathematics but have an insufficient level of the subject in your degree to access the course, then our subject knowledge enhancement course in Mathematics could help prepare you to train to teach the subject effectively“. This PGCE is for the 11-16 phase.

OP's posts:
Please
or

fairypuff · 18/10/2018 11:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

BonnesVacances · 18/10/2018 11:16

I always understood that marking English was harder than Maths and took more time. At least Maths has a clearer right or wrong answer. Also English covers both literature and language. If Maths has a higher bursary then it suggests that there's a bigger shortage of Maths teachers.

But agree that you should choose the one that you enjoy more yourself as that will transfer onto how much you enjoy teaching it.

Please
or

FunRequirement · 18/10/2018 11:18

Oh please fairy, I was teaching English in Asia but I know there’s a load of bureaucracy here so I’m asking from that aspect. I’m a citizen but I wasn’t raised here and in my country there was no such thing as “deep marking”. It makes no difference to the outcome of students who do better in places like Finland. I pity the teacher who you feel entitled to. They are humans. Call a teacher lazy without even knowing him/her, especially with how hard they work and with such little pay! If you don’t have advice then don’t bother.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Emmieberrycupcake · 18/10/2018 11:42

I guess you should go with which ever subject you are more passionate about as having a passion for a subject will help the children engage in the subject.
Neither is easier than the other and both will have a lot of marking involved. I also think both are highly in demand. If your school has A level students then I would imagine you'd be expected to teach A level

Please
or

fairypuff · 18/10/2018 13:53

My point is that you haven't even started in teaching either subject and you're already looking for the easiest option. If you're not going into teaching for the love of it then you will find it very hard. The pay is crap and the workload is substantially more than most ppl realise. Many ppl I know love their subject and love teaching and still find it hard. If you're not 100% committed then it's not for you.

Please
or

PinkAvocado · 18/10/2018 14:50

I disagree with Fairy. I think it is sensible to go into teaching thinking about how to get the best work life balance! Especially when you’ve a choice between two subjects.

Please
or

Welshmaiden85 · 18/10/2018 14:51

Presuming you feel confident with the subject matter of either subject, then maths. A lot less marking and marking is significantly quicker.

Please
or

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson · 18/10/2018 17:24

Maths - plus you might get the chance of doing a SKE course before you start which will help close any knowledge gaps. I'm English!

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 18/10/2018 17:48

They are both core subjects, so both an extraordinary amount of internal and external pressure.

Teaching is never easy.

Please
or

serbska · 18/10/2018 21:14

Why would't you just be an accountant? Way less stress and way more money than being a teacher.

Please
or

Cauliflowersqueeze · 18/10/2018 21:18

Hmmmmmm.

With English everyone can access the subject at some level and you can be more creative. However, marking can be a complete nightmare. In terms of recruitment, there are fewer jobs so fewer bursaries.

With Maths there is more of an “I can’t do maths” stigma to get through with kids. If they’re blocked on a question they can’t move on without help. It’s less creative by its nature but it is a shortage subject so there are a lot of bursaries and lots of vacancies. And marking is easier than a English.

Please
or

isthistoonosy · 19/10/2018 21:26

I'm not in the UK so maybe not he most useful answer, but I teach GCSE Maths and English (and Science and technology) and I find maths by far the easiest. Almost no 'real' planning as I mostly follow the book, lots of marking compared to English - but it is quite straight forward marking.
English is more fun with regards planing and trying to get kids interested but takes up so much more hed space and time than maths.

(Tech is the best and worst of both worlds - wordy and maths-y)

Please
or

MaisyPops · 20/10/2018 20:38

My point is that you haven't even started in teaching either subject and you're already looking for the easiest option. If you're not going into teaching for the love of it then you will find it very hard. The pay is crap and the workload is substantially more than most ppl realise.
I agree.
Going into a career seeking the easiest route to get by doesn't exactly say 'this is a career I actually want and it's a subject I enjoy and want to teach'.

Yes to achieving a work life balance, but no to a lazy approach from the start.

Please
or

Usuallytootiredbuthappyanyway · 20/10/2018 20:45

I am a teacher and I think you are asking an entirely reasonable question. As long as you are confident in your subject knowledge I would say maths - 100%

Please
or

AppleKatie · 21/10/2018 20:37

I would agree that it’s sensible to go in eyes wide open. I don’t see the need for over sentimentality either. It’s important to not lose sight of work life balance and other practicalities.

Maths.

If I could teach it I would 🤣

You’ll literally never be out of work.

Please
or

Ochayethenoocoo · 21/10/2018 20:41

feck either... I'm coming back as a PE teacher. Or an art teacher.

Please
or

AmateurSwami · 21/10/2018 20:43

I’m in a really similar situation and have been advised to go for maths by my mentor at work.

Please
or

MaisyPops · 21/10/2018 21:00

AppleKatie
No gushing over sentimentality is needed but I would say actually wanting to teach a subject is a fairly basic requirement.

Someone going into teaching not bothered about their subject, fancied a change and picked whichever route they thought was easiest is unlikely to last long in the profession (And in my experience also tend to be the trainees who at the most difficult to train).

I say that as someone who career changed into teaching and feels strongly about work/life balance by the way.

Please
or

BoneyBackJefferson · 21/10/2018 21:03

Ochayethenoocoo
feck either... I'm coming back as a PE teacher. Or an art teacher.

I'm making the assumption that that is because you don't know anything about either subject.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.