Meet the Other Phone. Only the apps you allow.

Meet the Other Phone.
Only the apps you allow.

Buy now

Please or to access all these features

The royal family

(More) Princes and the Press

62 replies

Aspiringmatriarch · 06/12/2021 12:10

Starting a new thread as the last one filled up with the usual Meghan debates!

I'm very interested in the relationship between the RF and the press so hope this can be a thread for observations and analysis of what's going on with the media. What they're choosing to report on, and how.

Harry has just released this statement distancing himself from Charles' cash for honours scandal. What was the original article in The Sunday Times, does anyone know?

(More) Princes and the Press
OP posts:
Thread gallery
9
Roussette · 06/12/2021 15:58

I saw that Aspiring and to me it's good to see Harry came straight out and corrected the record that he did not carry on with a relationship with Mahfouz.

Of course he is being criticised for putting this statement out, but I don't blame him... does he want to be dragged into the cash for honours scandal? Nope. It's very murky and Fawcett the Fence let it go on. PC should've known better. I would've thought once bitten with Fawcett would have been enough. But no.

AnnunciataZ · 06/12/2021 17:12

That's a decent statement from Harry. Nothing overly dramatic or flowery, just setting the record straight. Not that I was aware that anything had been said about him - all the coverage I've seen only mentioned the Prince of Wales.

Roussette · 06/12/2021 17:55

Yes @AnnunciataZ
The Times did a long article drawing him into this mess, the article wanted to bury the fact H cut ties with Mahfouz over 6 years ago and I'm not surprised Harry quickly rebuffed this.

AnnunciataZ · 06/12/2021 18:06

Definitely a good idea for him to do it ASAP then, otherwise the Mail would've made it another stick with which to beat him.

Aspiringmatriarch · 06/12/2021 18:34

The Times did a long article drawing him into this mess

I'm curious about this article - I wouldn't have known about it until the statement from Harry. I know it's behind a paywall but is there a link or can anyone do a share token?

OP posts:
Roussette · 06/12/2021 19:05

I can show you some of it... taken from somewhere else...

"The Duke of Sussex has been drawn into the “cash for access” scandal involving his father as new evidence shows he held a private meeting with a Saudi billionaire while seeking further donations for royal charities. Prince Harry agreed to see Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz after he gave £50,000 to his charity and hinted he would give millions more.

The pair met at a pub in Chelsea, west London, owned by Mark “Marko” Dyer, a former royal equerry known as Harry’s “second father”, who brokered the introduction in 2013. They discussed Sentebale, the charity Harry founded after his gap year in Lesotho. The following year the duke, 37, saw Mahfouz, 51, at Clarence House after the Prince of Wales had held his own meeting with the Saudi. Harry is alleged to have joked: “Has father beaten me to it and got the money?

Harry was photographed with Mahfouz’s teenage sons at Beaufort Polo Club in the Cotswolds. The prince’s aides simultaneously agreed to throw a banquet in Mahfouz’s honour at St James’s Palace — the most senior royal residence — with his private secretary saying that doing so would be “no problem at all”. The relationship gave Mahfouz the opportunity to pose for photos with the prince, which he used while seeking recognition and residency in Britain, and publicised through his charity.

It helped to open the way for his introduction to Prince Charles, whose right-hand man, Michael Fawcett, had been told that Mahfouz had a “long track record of philanthropy” and was sent details of his donations to Sentebale in the spring of 2014. Fawcett later helped him to secure a CBE. The Sunday Times revealed details of the honour application in September, leading to the resignation of Fawcett and a complaint to the police.

By late 2014 Harry’s advisers allegedly had concerns about Mahfouz and his representatives, opting to wind down the relationship. It is unclear what due diligence they carried out or why Charles’s advisers persisted in their efforts to woo Mahfouz.

Dyer, 57, a godfather to the prince’s son, Archie, two, acted as the key intermediary between Mahfouz’s advisers, royal staff and Sentebale. At the time, Dyer was a trustee of Sentebale, a role he retains. Neither he nor the charity would say if he told the charity’s leadership or board about the apparent “cash for access” arrangement. Dyer did not respond to requests for comment.

Sentebale said: “Sheikh Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz’s foundation was introduced to a trustee of Sentebale as a prospective high-level donor. A meeting with Mahfouz and the duke was arranged to discuss the work of the charity. Beyond the two donations made to Sentebale by Mahfouz, no other activity took place.”

StartupRepair · 06/12/2021 20:44

It is a murky world, wooing rich donors. Wonder why Harry didn't tell Charles that he thought this guy was dodgy?

Roussette · 06/12/2021 20:51

We don't know he didn't. PC ploughed on ahead with this guy, with Fawcett's help of course

CathyorClaire · 06/12/2021 21:15

I think it might play better if he could show he handed the £60K charitable donations back as soon as he had 'doubts' over the motives of the donor.

As it stands it looks like arse covering although Charles is obviously far deeper in the frame however much he tries to blame his fence.

The mystery is why the private one is highlighting this now when no-one has yet pointed the finger.

Viviennemary · 06/12/2021 21:19

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. Favours for donations to private charities. So are those donations to be returned.

Roussette · 06/12/2021 21:28

The mystery is why the private one is highlighting this now when no-one has yet pointed the finger

The Times did?

Aspiringmatriarch · 06/12/2021 21:30

Would they need to be returned? It doesn't sound as if there was any quid pro quo from Harry. The issue with Charles is the transaction of donations for honours, isn't it, not so much that Mahfouz himself is dodgy?

I guess Harry's statement is to make it clear he's had no involvement with Mahfouz since 2014, since the original article described him as being "drawn into the scandal".

OP posts:
Roussette · 06/12/2021 21:30

I think if we're going to decry anyone it ought to be Charles, not Harry.

Cash for honours and british citizenship is far more dodgy.

'Charles's advisers persisted in their efforts to woo Mahfouz'

But... hey... it's Harry so there will be criticism on here won't there. And little on Charles.

CathyorClaire · 06/12/2021 21:50

The Times did?

Conceded Grin

Still smacks of a deflection exercise heavily shrouded in the usual royal smoke and mirrors and begging the question of why he thinks he might need it.

little on Charles

Hmm. Already said I think he's deeper into the frame than Harry. It's not a good look for an aspiring monarch but sadly I think he'll escape with the usual worn out bound.

Roussette · 06/12/2021 21:56

Yes, agree Cathy

artquejtion · 07/12/2021 06:49

Harry was right to correct the report in the Times.

However they all appear to accept handouts from wealthy people, not only for charity purposes either.

This is why a free press is important in exposing the connections, even if they are historic connections.

rubicscubicle · 07/12/2021 09:30

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ for including an archived article to circumvent paywall.

rubicscubicle · 07/12/2021 09:31

Mumsnet is hiding my post as I linked the article without the paywall.

Viviennemary · 07/12/2021 11:12

Bringing Harry into it does seem a bit unfair when its six years since he has had anything to do with this man. Seems a bit of a storm in a teacup though saying Harry has betrayed his father.

LookslovelyinSpringtime · 07/12/2021 12:52

I see Clarence House is biting back ! I think the Palace PR teams have decided not to just ignore Harry and Meghan any longer .

Aspiringmatriarch · 07/12/2021 13:57

Biting back? What's happened? Shock

OP posts:
rubicscubicle · 07/12/2021 15:03

A great idea OP to keep track of the coverage as it does become glaring the difference in treatment of the press for different family members.

Harry met Mahfouz, what, twice. Had a bad feeling about his intentions. He is not implicated in any crime as far as I can see. Just an aggressive social climber, so it's not like Harry could do or prove anything about it, so he cut ties.

To be honest The Times is really starting to sound like the tabloids in their report of the RF. They just inserted Harry in a story that has nothing to do with him, and good on him for responding - they must get used to that. He sells and they wanted a response. Unfortunately, Harry does have to respond because keeping quiet has proved to keep all these stories going and engrained about him and MM.

As for taking the money back? That is ridiculous. As I said, the guy is not a criminal or implicated in such. The only people that will suffer from that are the Sentebale and war vets. Why? Because the guy is suspected of being a climber.
Charles is the one that is at wrong here. They are trying to smear Harry.

rubicscubicle · 07/12/2021 15:05

Another example of press hypocrisy

(More) Princes and the Press
LookslovelyinSpringtime · 07/12/2021 15:06

Charles has stated that Harry did not warn him about the dodgy man who was giving money for favours.

rubicscubicle · 07/12/2021 15:06

@Aspiringmatriarch

Biting back? What's happened? Shock
Yes, I would also like to know.