My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Small pets

Just thinking, What do you all think is the perfect first pet for a very animal friendly 8 year old

61 replies

TrinityRhino · 31/07/2013 16:09

not sure how to describe her but all animals seem to be drawn to her

she loves all living things and would adore to be in soul charge of taking care of something of her own

I dislike hamsters as they are nocturnal and have always been (IME) extremely loud at night

I know I am posting in super furry animals but I wasn't sure were to start. I'm open to anything but spiders

OP posts:
TrinityRhino · 31/07/2013 18:42

but on the last thread I wanted him everyone told me to behave and not get him as my finances aren't stable Sad

OP posts:
MumnGran · 31/07/2013 18:56

Not me .....!
dogs are like kids, in my opinion, you can usually stretch to fit one more :-)

But then I am a hopeless case, on the animal front!

ToffeeWhirl · 31/07/2013 19:46

Why not a kitten? We bought a kitten for my anxious DS1. They curled up and slept together at night. He was the sweetest creature and the easiest pet in the world.

Get advice from The Litter Tray about where to buy a kitten though.

lottieandmia · 31/07/2013 21:30

Guineas need lots of cage attention (2-3 times a week) and they need to be handled and fresh food every day but surely that is low maintenance compared with a dog?

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 31/07/2013 22:03

It depends on what you do with the guineas though.
My manky boars have their cage cleaned daily in Summer, every 2 days in winter and when they are in their night cage in winter, it's daily.
The really do pooh and pee for Britain (and being 2 boars they are messy)

They also go downhill really quickly. My little piggie died a couple of weeks ago, he was ill for less than three days, saw the Cavy Vet but there was nothing that could save him.

TrinityRhino · 01/08/2013 19:20

we have bought 4 baby pigs
two girls in one cage for the little two
two boys in one cage for dd1 and I

Grin

OP posts:
Moomoomie · 01/08/2013 21:01

That didn't take you long. You will have a menagerie soon.

KRITIQ · 02/08/2013 00:20

Wow, what a dilemma! My first thought is that the energetic boxer and guinea pigs wouldn't necessarily be a good mix. I know this might sound odd, but I tend to view guinea pigs as more of an "adult" pet than a child's pet - I know that's not how they are seen, but their personalities are more "subtle" than say a cat or dog or even a budgie I think, and do require a fair bit of looking after, which will grow tiresome if they don't really "light your fire."

In your situ, I would lean towards a smallish dog (but anything with border collie in it will give your Boxer a run for its money in the energy stakes, so are you sure you want another?) along the lines of a Jack Russell or Border Terrier, which doesn't fit the profile of "yappy toy dog" (I'm a small dog fan myself, but I know many aren't,) but is less demanding food, space, poop and exercise wise - and smaller dogs tend to live longer than bit ones. I've seen some Jack Russell crosses in rescues, so you might strike it lucky.

Ferrets also sound a good idea, but might not be a good match with your chickens! Cats actually are generally pretty okay with chickens, so I've heard.

I think it's probably as important to find a pet that fits with your other pets as it is to fit with your DD!

(We've been dithering for a couple months about getting a dog for the pigs, and in the end opted for a Dog Cat - a Maine Coon, like in the "Be More Dog" commercials. So far she's "interested" in the pigs, but thankfully not in a culinary way!)

KRITIQ · 02/08/2013 00:22

Oh, I didn't scroll all the way down. Congratulations! Wow. Just remember to keep the boys and girls separate, as in separate rooms (blokes can fight if there are laydees nearby, like late Friday night at the pub :) )

Pictures as soon as you can! :)

TrinityRhino · 02/08/2013 08:36

thanks KRITIQ

the girls piggies are in the little girls bedroom

and the boy piggies are in dd1s bedroom

they are adorable

dd2 and gecko are awestruck by them
they are planing what veg to buy them
they have taken ages naming them
they were up and changing the waterm feeding them and cuddling them as soon as they woke

I'm well aware that they could get bored with them but I am going to do all I can to encourage them to love them and look after them

I will always be the one ensuring they are taken care of

OP posts:
Amiee · 04/08/2013 00:06

In my considerable experience

• Dogs are obviously the best choice but are a BIG commitment.
  • Cats are great but you have to be a cat person, I just don't get them.

-rabbits and ferrets can be bad tempered.
  • guineas tend to get forgotten outside or need a big indoor cage because the don't climb they need floor space. But they are great!
  • mice, rabbits, hamsters are boring
  • bearded dragons are the best lizards but can be expensive to set up and are not as friendly as furry pets.

The best pet for a child (with adult taking main responsibility) IMO are rats.
They are a cool pet to show your friends. They come when they are called, learn tricks and are full of character. They are relatively cheap and low maintenance and they are very cute. If your a dog lover but can't get a dog get a rat!
Google baby dumbo rat. So cute!
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.