Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

High end mascaras...worth it?

47 replies

wheresmymojo · 25/01/2023 09:04

I'm overdue a new mascara and looking for the best ever mascara

A few have come up in my research, has anyone tried them?

Yves Saint Laurent - Lash Clash

Hourglass - Caution Extreme Lash

Rare Beauty

IT Cosmetics - Super Hero

I have oily skin and get serious panda eyes so particularly interested about that aspect as well as the 'impact' the impact is somewhat overtaken by looking like an aging Kiss band member once it's all under my eyes

OP posts:
Please
or

botemp · 25/01/2023 10:19

I think the general consensus is that high end mascaras are no better. Personally I seem to have some sort of mild allergic reaction to an ingredient that's common in cheaper ones (unfortunately I don't know what it is) so I stick with high end ones, it also helps that you can either buy or they often offer a smaller sample size (the hourglass and it cosmetics ones you mention sell a travel size, a YSL counter will probably have a sample to give away, or at the very least disposable wands identical to the one used to try it out).

Rare beauty one is very natural. The others are very full on, so it kind of depends what you consider the best ever (the full on ones are too clumpy for me personally). And since you mention panda eyes, tbh you're better off looking at tubing mascaras, they come at all prices but there's less choice in budget and they're not as volumising as traditional mascaras. I like Sensai 38C volumising as a tubing mascara, but don't expect major volume from that. You can also use a simple tubing mascara to seal in a more traditional mascara that otherwise would be quick to run, but that does depend on exactly how oily you are, works for some, not all.

Please
or

SummaLuvin · 25/01/2023 10:26

Best mascara ever is hard as people have different starting points, and different aims. I have naturally dark, lifted eyelashes, not super long but not short either. I don't like the thick, volumized, almost clumpy look, my aim is long, fluttery, and separated. I haven't tried any of the ones you mention as when I really like something and find it works I tend to stick with it, my top two of all time are:
Mac Extended Play Lash Mascara Gigablack
Lancôme Lash Idôle

Please
or

Whitney168 · 25/01/2023 10:28

I also seem to get panda eyes with nearly every mascara, but the Hourglass one is miraculous for me. Not only do I not get panda eyes on the day I wear it, but if (when) I'm lazy and don't take my make up off at night, it still looks perfect the next day. 😆

Please
or

yousmellnice · 25/01/2023 10:29

Hourglass is good. The absolute best I've found at the moment is MAC Stack

Please
or

blackberriesaretheonlyfruit · 25/01/2023 10:31

Love the Lancome one. Recently tried Hourglass foundation and loved it so might try Hourglass next time.

Please
or

yousmellnice · 25/01/2023 10:31

Lancome mascaras are good too.

Please
or

TheOGCCL · 25/01/2023 10:33

If your mascara runs, you could try a tubing mascara like the Clinique one. Not saying it’s the most impactful but doesn’t smudge or run - I have very oily skin and eyelids.

Please
or

lenalove · 25/01/2023 10:54

I have been using the Rare beauty one for months now and I haven't found anything that compares. It doesn't smudge at all on me, and most others do. I will say that my natural lashes are quite long and dark to begin with, so I am happy not to use something clumpy/thick. That being said, it definitely isn't as "natural" as say the glossier mascara which for me does close to nothing!

Please
or

BellatrixLestrangesHeatedCurlers · 25/01/2023 10:56

Lancome Grandiose mascara is my holy grail. No smudging etc.

Please
or

Rebel2023 · 25/01/2023 10:57

Tarte ones are my fave
Lights camera lashes and maneater especially

Please
or

Blossomandbee · 25/01/2023 11:18

I have oily skin too and get panda eyes with most mascaras, have you thought about switching to waterproof? It would give you more options as I haven't found higher end ones any better than cheap ones to be honest.
My go to mascara is a cheap waterproof Essence one from Wilko. One of the few that stays put and doesn't make my sensitive eyes puffy too!

Please
or

wheresmymojo · 25/01/2023 13:05

I don't have very long lashes so do like a lot of lengthening but without the clumps ideally.

I have £10 of SpaceNK points at the moment so might use those to give the Hourglass a try...

OP posts:
Please
or

cowsaysmoo · 25/01/2023 13:08

I just got Maybelline Sky High and am quite impressed with it. But that's not a high end one obviously.

Please
or

peaceandpotato · 25/01/2023 13:09

Hourglass unlocked is nice. Its a tubing one. Comes off in hot water

Please
or

PhillyJoe · 25/01/2023 13:09

The Hourglass Unlocked is my absolute favourite mascara. It’s a tubing mascara so doesn’t run or transfer. I have long straight lashes and it lifts them and makes them look fuller and longer. I’ve been asked what mascara I’m wearing on multiple occasions including by my optician! I do comb it out so there are no clumps.

Please
or

PAFMO · 25/01/2023 13:10

I didn't use to think they were- I tried all the ones people rave about: Hypnose, YSL, Clinique, Benefit etc.
Then I discovered Dior Pump and Volume and changed my mind. Used it for about 5 years.
Then discovered Essence and changed my mind again.

Please
or

Ihaveawonderfulpartner · 25/01/2023 13:12

Someone else mentioned the Mac stack and I totally agree. Just bought a second and I never do that. I've tried them all, Lancôme, benefit, Clinique and the Mac stack is by far the best. It does need properly removing though as you otherwise look like a panda 🐼 after a shower.

Please
or

melonfruit · 25/01/2023 13:13

I had a YSL one once and it was ok but didn't love it, didn't think it was much better than any other mascara. I currently use Better Than Sex by Too Faced which I think is great, I might try some of these recommendations though!

Please
or

HaggisBurger · 25/01/2023 13:14

I’ve tried every expensive mascara under the sun.

the brand that doesn’t give me panda eyes and fab lashes. Bloody Rimmel. Might as well be 14 again. But it’s great. Bought as a temp when left mine behind on a trip.

Rimmel scandal eyes

Please
or

botemp · 25/01/2023 13:16

I got the Hourglass Unlocked tubing one recently and I'm seriously underwhelmed by it but for those who like it, the Milani Highly Rated Lash Extensions Tubing Mascara has an almost identical INCI. It only just got released so might be a bit before it's available in Europe, think it'll be about half the price.

For your parameters, OP, of lengthening but not clumpy, my holy grail for that is Sisley So Intense but it's really high end in terms of price. Not a tubing formula, but it doesn't smudge on me.

Please
or

BlackFriday · 25/01/2023 13:20

L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes.
Brilliant stuff.

Please
or

Mistonthemountains · 25/01/2023 13:22

Estee lauder double wear is the only type I've found that doesn't flake or smudge

Please
or

TeachesOfPeaches · 25/01/2023 13:25

Not that popular but Benefit Roller Lash is the best, lasts ages and no smudging

Please
or

NewIdeasToday · 25/01/2023 13:31

I love the Hourglass one. No smudging and great lashes.

Please
or

Fentylipgloss · 25/01/2023 13:31

MAC stack is brilliant

Please
or