Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

No buy or low buy 2023

326 replies

TheOGCCL · 24/12/2022 18:44

Starting a new thread for the new year. I really must do better. Pretty sure I am in need of nothing after my 2022 spending spree.

Ironically I think this board sets me off a bit.

I’m better with a blanket no spend but how dull. Still thinking about my ‘rules’, eg set a budget or an item limit.

I need to avoid the sales as many mistakes happen there.

All welcome who want to cut down for environmental or ethical or financial reasons, or simply the satisfaction of buying second hand, or the ease of getting dressed when you have less stuff.

I can recommend Lauren Bravo’s book How To Break Up With Fast Fashion.

Its a bit like eating meat, if we all collectively did it a bit less, the world would be a better place.

OP posts:
Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 24/12/2022 18:57

I would like to do this. I don’t think I will do a full no spend, because I actually need certain items (underwear, tops, new jeans that actually fit me now apparently skinny’s are desperately outdated) , but I have a wardrobe full to bursting and nothing to wear- too many years of buying the wrong things. I saw on here on a different thread a 4 out, 1 in policy- get rid of four items of tat and replace with one really good quality item.

Before I can do that I need to learn to actually dress myself, which is a thread in itself. I have a weird figure and don’t know what I should actually wear, hence the clutching at straws approach to my wardrobe.

so for me, 2023 is no charity shop/eBay/Vinted purchases and nothing from shops unless I actually really need it. And a good clear out. and look out for my s&b thread where I beg strangers online to dress me 🤦‍♀️

Please
or

Mercedesbenz2022 · 24/12/2022 18:59

I always like this idea, but then something catches my eye and I’m there buying it
so a low spend would work ( maybe )
probably need to ‘ shop my wardrobe ‘ and be a bit more creative in putting outfits together, instead of same old

Please
or

DancingSober · 24/12/2022 19:04

Yeah go on then! Sign me up

I will do a low rather than a no buy I think

I'll continue to buy things like underwear and maybe try to do a one in, one out policy for anything else

Please
or

Chatrattoria · 24/12/2022 19:05

I’ve never done this before but I feel I need to now.

I do need a few things, which will be allowables, that’s a dressing gown, running trainers and a pair of trainers for work.

I think I need to go cold turkey on the rest of it. I could do with saving some money and it wil do me good not to buy things.

Please
or

Zoetrope1 · 24/12/2022 20:29

Following!

I’ve spent so much money this year on skincare and clothes. Skincare in particular - I have multiple advent calendars and have developed an obsession with getting gift with purchase / goodie bags.

I don’t think I can go no-buy but I’m shooting for low-buy:

• No skincare until I’ve used up my existing supplies
  • Strict no clothes / shoes other than 1 pair of sneakers
Please
or

Valkirie · 24/12/2022 20:37

I wanted to do this in 2022 but totally failed, and have been thinking about how best to approach it in 2023. If I allow myself to buy a limited number of things then I end up ordering more than I need to try on, and once I have nice things in the house, it’s hard to send them back!

I do find it much easier to be critical when I’m buying in person however. We live rurally so it takes a bit of effort to get somewhere with decent shopping, but when I’ve made the effort to do that this year it has resulted in some of my most well-used / successful purchases. I didn’t buy directly in the shops but instead tried on lots, took photos of the things I liked the most so I could look back over them, and only ordered online once I’d had time to mull over and make a final decision.

I think this might be the way forward for me next year. Plus not having parcel clutter about the house and not having to think about making returns seems like an attractive proposition 😊

Please
or

applesandpears33 · 24/12/2022 20:39

I'm in again. Low buy for me. I still need to buy underwear and practical trousers when I wear them out but could do with wearing out some coats and jackets too as I have loads of them. I also need to lose a stone or two in weight and could then access a lot more clothes in my wardrobe.

Please
or

xmaslurgy · 24/12/2022 20:40

Good idea. I don't need more makeup i only have one face

Please
or

whatatanker · 24/12/2022 20:40

Yes, I’m doing this for 2023.

My rules are no new clothes for a whole year. Everything has to be second hand. I’ve done this before and actually do enjoy it. Better for planet and pocket.

Please
or

Justonedayatatime11 · 24/12/2022 20:44

I could definitely do with some support to stay accountable for this for 2023. I find myself buying clothes when I'm feeling down about myself, in the hope they'll make me look better/see myself differently. It doesn't work! I need to know that buying stuff isn't the answer

Please
or

Emmamoo89 · 24/12/2022 20:46

How can you compare it to meat. I'll won't be cutting back on it. Love a good steak 😋

Please
or

Emmamoo89 · 24/12/2022 20:47

I*

Please
or

GranolaHolmes · 24/12/2022 21:24

Place marking. Will set my target before the new year.

Please
or

Mrcpy · 24/12/2022 21:26

Thanks for pointing me to this new thread! I really REALLY need a no-spend 2023.

I’m allowed to buy:

• basic clothes eg underwear, only if my existing stuff is worn out or broken
  • basic skincare eg cleanser, spf… but only if I’ve finished using my current huge stash

I’m not allowed any more:
  • fragrances
  • candles
  • serums, mists and other fancy shit
  • any luxury brands
  • bags
  • jewellery
  • clothes other than basics

I’ve lost some weight so I’m going to get my dresses tailored instead of buying new.

Hope we can keep each other accountable!
Please
or

lindyloo57 · 24/12/2022 22:00

I tried and failed this year to buy less, so in the new year, I'm going to not buy any makeup or creams unless I run out of something, and will try to buy less clothes.

Please
or

StealingYourWiFi · 24/12/2022 22:02

I need to do this. There’s absolutely NOTHING I need. This goes for clothes, makeup, most skin/hair care items.

what I actually need to do is lose a little weight so what I do have looks better on me.

Please
or

Swissnotswiss · 24/12/2022 22:05

I'm in. I need a white shirt. That's it.

Please
or

Adeckofcards · 24/12/2022 22:10

I will join. I have 1K credit card debt that never seems to go down and I realised with horror, that I am spending at least 500 on clothes/beauty every month.

I've also put on 21 pounds this year and I have full wardrobes of clothes that don't fit me, many of them with tags.

I have my eye on a coat that I may buy as I've been waiting for it to come into the shops for about a month and depending if it suits me, I will get it as the colour is right for my skin tone.

I have two parcels on the way, one of which I will definitely return.

Please
or

Mercedesbenz2022 · 24/12/2022 22:52

I have decided my rules , one clothing item per month , not counting undies ( although I do have lots )
and no buy on toiletries unless I run out of my massive stash ( unlikely )

so 12 items this yr !!
wish me luck

Please
or

Eve · 24/12/2022 22:53

Me!!

I don’t need any new clothes , scarves, shoes, boots , coats …I don’t need anything!

just bought some gym stuff in sale for my new gym membership as I have put on weight and my goal is a dress size down by end April as I have a posh do invite!

New outfit will be allowed for posh do and that’s it!

Please
or

silentpool · 24/12/2022 23:13

I'm in for 2023. In 2022, I bought less overall but significantly less fast fashion. I altered what I had already and bought sustainable brands, which will last longer.

In 2023, my rules are:

Lowered consumption on everything but specifically:
No underwear or sock purchases till what I have needs to be replaced.
No fast fashion at all.
Lose weight to fit into existing clothes.
Look to use a clothes re-dyeing service to make some clothes "new" again or look different.
Simplified hair & beauty purchases - multi use or low tox products but only once I've used up what I have.

Please
or

hobbledyhoy · 24/12/2022 23:16

I did it this year, slipped twice and bought shoes and a beautiful jacket that I've never had off but other than that bought all clothes second hand, mainly from Vinted. Thought I'd try it as a challenge and for financial and ethical reasons.
Be trying it again this year but allowing myself the odd purchase for investment pieces.

Please
or

FirstTimeMum072022 · 24/12/2022 23:42

I'm going to shop four times a year - January may August December maybe, not completely decided on those yet but hopefully this will allow considered purchases and things worn properly. Exceptions would be if all my tights for example ladded.

Please
or

Alienbigcat45 · 25/12/2022 00:16

Count me in too. I keep buying stuff for a lifestyle I don't lead - 1970s NYC disco diva maybe Bianca Jäger - the sad reality is I'm middle aged with a very unglamorous life.

Please
or

StellaGibson2022 · 25/12/2022 00:42

Ill join as part of my intention to develop my style after losing it and gaining weight due to peri and the pandemic.

My rules are:
low spend - only buy if absolutely necessary
Use Vinted as my first point of sourcing anything needed
curate a wardrobe I love based on the 33(3?) principle
de-clutter clothes regularly
work out what suits me and dress accordingly (figure/shape and colouring)

I would also like to find a princessing thread for 2023 and off to search!

Please
or