Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please help me with my horrid hair texture!

peeweep · 23/09/2022 10:21

I’m 53. Salt and pepper colour naturally, which I embraced for a while, but then started having baby highlights all over. Had an appointment yesterday to have a it cut just above shoulders, beautiful honeyish high and low lights. I
I love my hairdresser, it looked amazing yesterday!

woke up this morning with one side of frizzy and the other still beautiful!

when I look after it myself if never gets the smoothness and shine it gets from the hairdresser.

I’ve tried cheap shampoos, more expensive ones, just using conditioner. Tresemme heat spray.

years ago my hair was naturally very straight, oily, dark and shiny.
now it’s naturally dry and frizzy, I think partly because of all the grey, and also now the colouring.

please can you give me any recommendations of things to try that might make it look lovely again!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bicthebiro · 23/09/2022 10:23

If you want it smooth, you're probably going to need to blow dry or straighten it TBH.

Please
or

DoingJustFine · 23/09/2022 10:25

My hair has changed texture during menopause - it's now really dry and prone to frizz. 😞 The only thing I've found works REALLY well is Morrocan Oil. I buy the hydration bundle from LookFantastic with discount codes so it's about £40. The hydration hair mask is lifechanging.

Please
or

goingslightlyinsane · 23/09/2022 10:26

A Brazilian blow dry would work perfectly for your hair type, they are expensive- but I always look around for offers, some hairdressers have offers on certain days of the week- and you could also look on groupon.
"They" say they only last 3 months but I can eek it out for almost 5 months (as I'm a skank and only wash my hair once a week - Although it's dry and curly so never gets greasy and I can get away with it)

Also- since having a silk pillow case I have found it is also less frizzy in the morning.

Please
or

BringMeTea · 23/09/2022 10:28

Fushi Really Good Hair Oil is amazing. Truly makes a difference.

Please
or

Owlsinmybedroom · 23/09/2022 10:31

If you are waking up with frizz try a silk pillowcase

Please
or

GreenManalishi · 23/09/2022 10:34

Good products will help but the key is in the blow dry

Please
or

Vicliz24 · 23/09/2022 10:36

I second Moroccan Oil it is really good but I also have great results with a few drops of avocado oil before blow drying. My hair is almost completely white so you have to be careful things don't stain your hair too .

Please
or

MissyB1 · 23/09/2022 10:39

Yes I’m 54 and the menopause plays havoc with hair texture. I also second morrocan oil products. A silk pillow case is on my Christmas list!

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 23/09/2022 10:47

I have wavy/curly hair and it really does depend how you sleep on it as to how it looks the next day. I use a small amount of Argan oil on it whenever I wash it, it's made huge differences to it.

Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 23/09/2022 12:34

Same here. What works for me is e salon hair silk after and between washes
Also i spray my hair v slightly with water each night , i then put in foam sleep rollers, when i wake up my hair is full or curly depending on the roller size.
I then seperate the hair a bit with my fingers , bit of hair spray , all smooth, done for rhe day.
Rollers are not a good look but its worth it !

Please
or

peeweep · 23/09/2022 12:38

Thanks everyone! I think I need to look for a silk pillowcase.
I do blow dry it but my hairdryer is about 20 years old which might not help! I have straighteners too but worry about wrecking my hair with them.

does Morrocan oil protect against styling?
any other heat protecting or styling products?
can you recommend any shampoos and conditioners?

the only good things about the change in texture: it makes it look thicker - was very, very fine; I can get away with washing it far less often, once or twice a week, and love being a skank!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 23/09/2022 12:39

Not the best shot ,but an example

Please help me with my horrid hair texture!
Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 23/09/2022 12:40

I cant do straight neat hair tho .it may not be for you .

Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 23/09/2022 12:40

No heat used.

Please
or

DoingJustFine · 23/09/2022 12:46

I'm using Faith In Nature shampoo and conditioner. My hair seems to like it. You can buy it in Holland & Barrett or (cheaper) on Amazon.

Typically, I invested in the huge huge refill bottles and now my hair's gone off it a bit.

Please
or

KalaniM · 23/09/2022 15:02

Waroftherosesithink · 23/09/2022 12:34

Same here. What works for me is e salon hair silk after and between washes
Also i spray my hair v slightly with water each night , i then put in foam sleep rollers, when i wake up my hair is full or curly depending on the roller size.
I then seperate the hair a bit with my fingers , bit of hair spray , all smooth, done for rhe day.
Rollers are not a good look but its worth it !

I’ve been looking for some comfy sleep rollers, please can you recommend?

I recently used the revlon hot brush dryer with ghd heat protect spray, and my hair was much sleeker. I have some of those foam things you tie into your hair , they also help de frizz, as does shu uemura essence absolute. But honestly I think post menopausal hair is an uphill battle. I have to apply something every day to tame it, be it oil, water or hyaluronic. It used to be shiny and swishy, naturally. Now it’s a garden broom.

Please
or

Gr33ngr33ngr4ss · 23/09/2022 22:28

I keep banging on about this but! Tresemme Keratin 7 Day Smooth changed my life! I have course frizzy hair - Chrystal Tips! Or I used to! Now it's shiny, smooth and just straight enough. I don't use the straighteners every time like it says - I haven't needed to. Just rough dry and brush through!

Please
or

Campervangirl · 23/09/2022 22:43

Try products from the Milkshake range, shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner and no frizz glistening milk, all currently on special offer on Amazon, I've just ordered some more tonight.
I've got balayage and my blonde bits are really dry and frizzy, milkshake makes my hair smooth and glossy

Please
or

MovinOnUp · 23/09/2022 22:52

Someone on here recommended dove pro age shampoo and conditioner to me for mad post natal hair (brittle and dry) it's amazing stuff.
So much so that (after washing with these)I fell asleep without blow drying my hair and it looked good in the morning (would usually look like worzel gummage)

Please
or

FurAndFeathers · 24/09/2022 11:03

Owlsinmybedroom · 23/09/2022 10:31

If you are waking up with frizz try a silk pillowcase

Agree.

Please
or

Motnight · 24/09/2022 12:20

I have very similar hair, Op. Used to have fine straight shiny hair, now frizzy with more of it!

What has helped me - silk pillowcases (don't have to be expensive, can buy the one side silk only), redken shampoo and conditioner, , use a wide toothed comb to comb conditioner through, final cold rinse of hair, Davines milk before hair drying and Davines Oil.

I am going to try some of the shampoo suggestions here as well.

Good luck!

Please
or

Motnight · 24/09/2022 12:21

Campervangirl · 23/09/2022 22:43

Try products from the Milkshake range, shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner and no frizz glistening milk, all currently on special offer on Amazon, I've just ordered some more tonight.
I've got balayage and my blonde bits are really dry and frizzy, milkshake makes my hair smooth and glossy

These really didn't work for me at all. Such a shame as I love the smell!

Please
or

LynneBenfield · 24/09/2022 12:27

Also here for comfy sleep rollers recs…

Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 25/09/2022 00:55

So , re sleep rollers i just buy them from a local shop called boyes .
They are foam ans very soft indeed .
I will look them up if i can ...

Please
or

Waroftherosesithink · 25/09/2022 00:59

Found them on e bay , dont know how to link, but put into e bay magic foam rollers sleep...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?