Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How to look more 'glam' in the summer?

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 06/08/2022 10:32

It often strikes me when we're on holiday that some people manage to look effortlessly glam even when it's hot & we're sightseeing (rather than dressing up for dinner).

I've been trying to capture what it is about them that makes me think 'glam' - in the hope that I might replicate (appreciate it won't be 'effortless'!)

I've come up with;
Sunglasses (which I only wear when reading in bright sunshine)
Decent bags (not the ancient rucksack I drag with me)
Jewellery (beyond the one pair or earrings and gold chain i normally have with me)
Jackets (although when it's really hot I'd rather be cool).

Any other thoughts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bearsan · 06/08/2022 10:54

The ability to tame your hair is key if you don't have naturally silky locks
Dressing to suit your shape is more obvious when you are wearing less layers.
Plain or small prints
Neutral colours or one bright colour and the rest neutral
Tweek or update your summer clothes especially if you have been wearing them for years (like me) neither trendy or dated.
Footwear
Simple make up.
No sunburn
Beach glam is impossible for me no matter what I do but I think I look presentable on a city break/sightseeing

Please
or

Threelittlelambs · 06/08/2022 10:57

I think they probably look fresh because they have the latest patterns or jeans style.

Please
or

jammiewhammie65 · 06/08/2022 11:01

Back pack would be an instant no !

Please
or

Maireas · 06/08/2022 11:02

Stop carrying an ancient rucksack around. Buy yourself a decent bag.

Please
or

Lottapianos · 06/08/2022 11:06

You've got to wear sunglasses. People who don't wear sunglasses in the sun look plain daft. Nothing fancy or expensive, just a shape that suits your face

Agree with decent bag - again, doesn't have to be expensive

Please
or

Goldfishjones · 06/08/2022 11:11

Agree about the hair.

Also, decent accessories - sunglasses, belt, bag, shoes.

Sometimes it can be easier to cover up more eg maxi dress/floaty long sleeved top or wide trousers rather than strappy vest top with shorts.

Please
or

Maireas · 06/08/2022 11:15

I agree. Strappy vest tops rarely look good.
Although someone will no doubt come on here and disagree! Just an opinion.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 06/08/2022 11:18

I don't understand people who won't wear sunglasses in sunny weather. Screwing up your eyes in the sun isn't very glamorous.

I have very photosensitive eyes so I have to wear sunglasses.

The other main reason to wear them is for eye health. UV light isn't good for your eyes and increases the risk of cataracts.

IMO it is daft to cover yourself in factor 50 then not bother wearing sunglasses.

Please
or

Beautifulsunflowers · 06/08/2022 11:19

Yes to a nice bag - and earrings can be very glam without breaking the bank and don’t make you feel hot like adding layers like a jacket!
Nice nails and polished toenails in a pair of lovely sandals.

Please
or

pizzaandgin · 06/08/2022 11:23

Speaking for myself here but I used to think sun was shorts & vest or T-shirt and this was my beach and all summer wear.

But when abroad in Europe as you say people on the city looking more stylish so now I try to wear more dresses and 'dress up' but trying to stay cool when abroad and as people say simple accessories like necklace, bracelets and earrings

Please
or

TooHot2022 · 06/08/2022 11:24

I often notice the same thing OP.

Problem I have is that our holidays tend to cater especially to DH & older DSs which means 'active' clothing (rather than floaty skirts), practical rucksacks and comfortable shoes (just in case we decide to take that 'short' (i.e. 5k) walk after dinner . . .😩

Is it possible to be glam as the only female in a family? I haven't managed it!

Please
or

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 06/08/2022 11:30

@TooHot2022 yeah we walk a lot, usually 10-15k steps a day. Hence the rucksack!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheBikiniExpert · 06/08/2022 11:33

For summer in the city/sightseeing, I would suggest:

• sunglasses - I wear sunglasses all year round in bright sunlight.
  • wide-legged trousers or non-sporty shorts/dress
  • no spagetti straps or t-shirts!
    -sandals, not flip flops
  • a good bag - can be a rucksack but not a sports one and everything in it no jumpers tied round waists etc!
  • a hat
  • very little or no makeup
  • minimal jewellery
    -a fan
Please
or

DelphiniumBlue · 06/08/2022 11:43

Was out and about in London yesterday, spent a bit of time people watching and noticed... floaty dresses and nice sandals/clean trainers; groomed hair, whether long or or short, up or down; sunglasses; red lipstick; camera/crossbody bags.
Quite a few women were wearing shorts, but Bermuda-style ones didn't look nice on anyone. Younger women looked cool in shorter shorts with loose tops and gladiator style sandals. Any legs on show were tanned, and lots had bright toenail varnish.

Please
or

Appleblum · 06/08/2022 11:49

It's mainly jewellery and hair I think.

Please
or

Christin3 · 06/08/2022 13:17

I'd go for a maxi dress in a nice pattern that suits your shape, sandals that are flat and comfortable but look smart, cross body bag, then some sunnies, and some jewellery. Shacket cover up for evening.

I don't think that you can go that far wrong with this look.

Please
or

Legselevens · 06/08/2022 14:42

I would love to emulate this but I manage a hot, sweaty mess in warm weather. I have noticed, nice quality shoes and groomed, clean hair

Please
or

KimmySchmitt · 06/08/2022 14:53

Agree with sleek or groomed hair. Another thing I don't think anyone's mentioned is to get your brows and lashes done. Means you can get away with minimal make-up and still look 'done'.

Please
or

Icequeen01 · 06/08/2022 15:02

i totally agree about the groomed hair and nice floaty clothing. I spend a fortune on my hair and have purchased some nice new clothes and yet here I am lucky enough to be holidaying on the Amalfi coast but still look like the creature from the deep 😢

Please
or

CowPalace · 06/08/2022 15:24

TooHot2022 · 06/08/2022 11:24

I often notice the same thing OP.

Problem I have is that our holidays tend to cater especially to DH & older DSs which means 'active' clothing (rather than floaty skirts), practical rucksacks and comfortable shoes (just in case we decide to take that 'short' (i.e. 5k) walk after dinner . . .😩

Is it possible to be glam as the only female in a family? I haven't managed it!

I’m the only woman in my family and I can’t say it’s impacted on my clothes — I don’t drive, so walk/cycle everywhere when at home (I average about 12 miles a day), which obviously impacts on my choice of clothes — no heels, good outerwear, backpack or comfortable cross-body bag, hair style that isn’t going to be wrecked under a hat/hood etc. My daily look is Margaret Howell-ish.

We were in Sicily his summer on a holiday that combined sightseeing and water sports, and when I wasn’t in a swimsuit or wetsuit, I wore Birkenstocks or trainers, oversized shirt-dresses, a couple of pairs of (very old and well-cut) linen trousers and blouses, a couple of long jersey dresses, silver jewellery, and either a tan leather backpack or a leather cross-body bag (both also very old). This worked perfectly well for covering a lot of ground on foot daily.

Please
or

Mercedesbenz2022 · 06/08/2022 15:45

I don’t really understand the hate for t shirts tbh
an old faded or generally scraggy then that’s a no
but a clean ironed brilliant white t
( or any other colour but I prefer black or white ) can look perfect

I am wearing wide legged linen mix black trousers , and a white t , with pale ( almost none existent pink ) chunky sandals that I can walk in , and the same colour cross body bag .
it feels perfectly put together

otherwise a maxi / midi with flats

sunnies always

I love to
people watch and see what other people are wearing

Please
or

TooHot2022 · 06/08/2022 15:47

CowPalace · 06/08/2022 15:24

I’m the only woman in my family and I can’t say it’s impacted on my clothes — I don’t drive, so walk/cycle everywhere when at home (I average about 12 miles a day), which obviously impacts on my choice of clothes — no heels, good outerwear, backpack or comfortable cross-body bag, hair style that isn’t going to be wrecked under a hat/hood etc. My daily look is Margaret Howell-ish.

We were in Sicily his summer on a holiday that combined sightseeing and water sports, and when I wasn’t in a swimsuit or wetsuit, I wore Birkenstocks or trainers, oversized shirt-dresses, a couple of pairs of (very old and well-cut) linen trousers and blouses, a couple of long jersey dresses, silver jewellery, and either a tan leather backpack or a leather cross-body bag (both also very old). This worked perfectly well for covering a lot of ground on foot daily.

Sounds eminently sensible and practical, but not what I'd describe as 'glam'!

I find there's not always room to pack two sets of clothes/ bags/ shoes (daytime practical and evening glam) so it's the glam stuff that tends to be left behind as I don't want to be cycling in a pair of strappy wedges!

Please
or

lickenchugget · 06/08/2022 15:51

A classic straw hat with black ribbon band

Tan sandals

nice bag

Black swimsuit

gold jewellery

hair oil or serum to slick back hair

Please
or

declutteringmymind · 06/08/2022 15:51

Wear white with gold accessories. Instant glam.

Please
or

Mercedesbenz2022 · 06/08/2022 15:54

Ohh some good ideas here

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.