Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Advice for a second earlobe piercing newbie

Atlantic252 · 10/05/2022 20:07

I am the most boring person I know - and in my mid-40s - but for some inexplicable reason I have become determined to get a second ear piercing in each ear.

It's probably the most rebellious thing I will have ever done in my entire life 😐.

For anyone who has 2 or more piercings, could you please help me with any advice or do's and don'ts? I do have a standard ear piercing that I got over 30 years ago - although even then I was the oldest girl I knew to get my ears pierced - but it was done with a gun and I remember having lots of trouble with one ear not healing for ages.

So what I've read is that guns are bad and I should go to a tattoo place that uses a needle - but as someone with no tattoos and no one in my circle who's done this - how would I know a reputable one? if it's been in a business a long time and looks clean is that good enough?

And will they pick the 'spot' on my ear lobe or should I decide where it goes? And would I need to bring my own earrings?

Please and thank you 😳.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Echosound · 10/05/2022 20:16

Yes def find a proper piercer as they’ll use needles. Much better than a gun.
id find a tattoo place that has a good reputation for tattoos and their piercer will no doubt be good. No need to take your own earrings, they will use titanium ones

Please
or

TeaStory · 10/05/2022 20:19

Yes you should definitely get it done by a professional piercer with a needle. Have a look at reviews of local shops, or ask for recommendations. If you are willing to give your rough location here then MNers might be able to make recommendations.

Follow their aftercare to the letter, a reputable shop should recommend LITHA (Leave It The Hell Alone) and do not ‘turn’ the earrings.

They will mark the spot with gentian ink and allow you to check the placement. A good piercer will know how to work with your anatomy to get the most aesthetically pleasing result.

They will provide the jewellery, get titanium flat-back labrets.

Please
or

Matildahoney · 10/05/2022 20:21

A gun is absolutely fine for lobe piercing, just don't go to Claire's for it, heard lots of bad things about them.

Please
or

JodiMahoney · 10/05/2022 20:24

Look for reviews of tattoo/piercing places online. If you’re nervous and it’s possible pay a visit or book appointment in person. That’s what I did for my helix piercing and it reassured me that the place was clean and professional.

any piercing in your lobe will probably heal well and quickly however in other areas such as the helix there is less blood flow and healing can be slow.

sadly I took my helix piercing out after a year because it flared up and I couldn’t get it to settle down. I have a double piercing in one lobe and never had a problem with it.

Look up placements online so you get a good idea of what you fancy, a good piercer should be able to offer advice though.

be aware that it can be troublesome to sleep on for some time especially in certain placements.

Please
or

Mol1628 · 10/05/2022 20:24

Assuming you are in the UK check out the UK association of professional piercers (app) there might be a shop near you.

Its not a big deal most people have at least seconds done now!

Theyll mark the spot for you with a dot then you can decide if you like it or want it moving. I would consider the size of the earrings you want to wear in your first lobes when positioning the seconds.

Please
or

GenialHarryGr0ut · 10/05/2022 20:25

Go to a proper piercer who uses a needle.

They'll mark the spot and let you check you are happy with it. They'll provide the earrings - most piercers have a range you can choose from.

Please
or

Isabelle70 · 10/05/2022 20:25

I have 2 lobe piercings which I had done with the gun 30+ years ago. They were both uneven so I had them redone with a needle, the first hole in one ear and the second on the other ear, they are now both nice and even.
I then decided at a milestone birthday to have my Tragus done, at the same studio with the needle.
The piercing studio where I am has been doing it for about 20 years, he looks and marks with a dot where to place it and will move it if you want it in a different place. I think it was a big deep breath, breath out and he pierces. It didn't hurt at all and I spend my time concentrating on breathing! He uses his sterile jewellery with clear cleaning and care instructions.

Please
or

GenialHarryGr0ut · 10/05/2022 20:27

Most piercers have an Instagram account - take a look and see if there is any customer feedback

Please
or

Atlantic252 · 10/05/2022 21:04

Wow thank you all so much.

It sounds like I should do a bit more research but you've given me so many tips and I feel more assured already.

Unfortunately I'm in Ireland (ROI) but I will look and see if there is any regulatory body here that's similar.

I have big fat earlobes so it's a good question about the positioning - I mostly just wear simple studs these days but it would be good to give myself options.

This is so helpful and I'll post back with updates in case it helps someone else 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sqeebling · 11/05/2022 01:44

Yes do go to a tattoo piercer.

They're very hygienic and will prep your ear and measure it properly so it's exactly where you want it to be.

Please
or

evilharpy · 11/05/2022 08:59

Just to confuse you further (sorry!) I don't see many people wearing matching numbers of earrings in both ears these days, most people seem to prefer asymmetric. Have you thought about maybe having the two extra holes in one ear rather than one in each?

Please
or

StarlightLady · 11/05/2022 09:26

Mine were done long ago with a gun and no problems. They should be able to advise on positioning. If you want it, just go for it. It is not life changing.

Please
or

Echosound · 11/05/2022 11:58

Atlantic252

Wow thank you all so much.

It sounds like I should do a bit more research but you've given me so many tips and I feel more assured already.

Unfortunately I'm in Ireland (ROI) but I will look and see if there is any regulatory body here that's similar.

I have big fat earlobes so it's a good question about the positioning - I mostly just wear simple studs these days but it would be good to give myself options.

This is so helpful and I'll post back with updates in case it helps someone else 😊

If you’ve got think earlobes then even more reason to have them pierced with a needle, as the piercer will have earrings with different length posts. If the posts are too short then your ears will be squashed and won’t heal as well

Please
or

Violetpearl · 11/05/2022 13:18

I had my Tragus done by a Piercer in a tattoo shop on a girlie weekend last year. All 4 of us had a piercing (3 of the party are 50+). The woman that did it was great. She explained everything that was happening and checked to make sure it was in the right spot. Its still healing as one of the previous posters said it takes 6-12 months to heal. But I am really looking forward to having lots of great earrings in there. The two other 50+ have gone on to have other piercings. I think it is a little addictive😜

Please
or

Atlantic252 · 12/05/2022 08:46

Thank you all again - I am going to casually pop into a few tattoo places in my nearest city at the weekend to suss them out.

@evilharpy oh no don't confuse me like that 😜. I don't honestly think I'm cool enough to carry off a single piercing - and then I'd have the angst of choosing which ear 🤦‍♀️. But on the other hand I could sleep happily on one side while it's healing and always get the second ear done later 🤔.

@Violetpearl that sounds brilliant I hope I get a nice piercer - but I don't think I'll ever be brave enough for a tragus 😬. I'm not nervous about the lobe but only because it's so soft and squidgy - anything cartilage or tragus related makes me squirm a bit 😳

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mol1628 · 12/05/2022 09:21

I have matching lobes, three of them. Then all my cartilage ones are not matching. I don’t mind asymmetry but I do think lobes look better when you can wear a matching pair of earrings on each side. It’s all personal preference though!

Please
or

Fizzgigg · 12/05/2022 09:33

I got mine done recently (also mid 40s). A lot of lovely jewellery places have good piercers now. I got mine done in Monica Vinader in London but I know my sister in Dublin goes to Maria Tash in Brown Thomas. Might be less intimidating than a tattoo place? They also did brilliant after care. Go for it!

Please
or

SophieV80 · 12/05/2022 09:41

If you're anywhere near Dublin I can recommend an excellent piercer. I'd also recommend a travel pillow if you sleep on your side so you can put your ear in the hole!

Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 12/05/2022 09:48

I took my DD to a tattoo place and it was such a good experience, they even numbed her lobes first. They had hundreds of studs to choose from and gave lots of really good advice about aftercare (different from when I was kid - basically don't twist and turn them, just leave them the fuck alone 😆)

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 12/05/2022 09:52

I originally had my second hole done in my early twenties but let them close up. I had them redone for my 50th (!) in a tattoo place by a guy who must have been about 7 foot tall with alarming facial tattoos. He couldn’t have been more caring! The thing I found was lying on them in bed was bloody agony and I spent months having to sleep on my back, I don’t recall this from the first time around. Maybe it’s an age thing?

Please
or

Mol1628 · 12/05/2022 09:57

VanCleefArpels

I originally had my second hole done in my early twenties but let them close up. I had them redone for my 50th (!) in a tattoo place by a guy who must have been about 7 foot tall with alarming facial tattoos. He couldn’t have been more caring! The thing I found was lying on them in bed was bloody agony and I spent months having to sleep on my back, I don’t recall this from the first time around. Maybe it’s an age thing?

Could also be because seconds have a bit more cartilage than firsts depending on how your ear is made!

Please
or

LaSevillana · 13/05/2022 12:51

Matildahoney

A gun is absolutely fine for lobe piercing, just don't go to Claire's for it, heard lots of bad things about them.

No, it isn't.

They can't be sterilised properly, so they are unhygienic and potentially even dangerous. They work by forcing tissue out of the way rather than creating a hole, as a hollow piercing needle does, which can result in trauma to your ear tissue.

A gun is never a good option for any piercing.

Please
or

waltzingparrot · 13/05/2022 12:56

Just make sure they get them even otherwise it's very obvious. I sometimes wear 4 different earrings to disguise the fact the 2nd hole in the left ear is higher than my right.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 13/05/2022 13:07

Or you could do your own like I did at 15 with an ice cube, bottle of surgical spirit and a pair of silver earrings. I did a fantastic job 😂

Please
or

LadyPoison · 13/05/2022 15:09

Seconding all the advice to get them done with a needle.

I have 2 holes in one lobe and one in the other. The second hole usually has a diamond stud in it and I mix and match the rest of my lobe earrings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.