Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Uneven ear piercing

36 replies

schmizaj · 19/07/2021 19:33

DD had ears pierced six days ago and they are uneven. Wondering whether to take one piercing out (they are seconds), let it heal then try again in a few months time - or longer if need be and then get it done again more evenly? Or is that impossible to do because hole already established and would leave a mark and maybe tear if tried to do another close to old hole? I just figured need to make a decision soon as almost a week ago. She's bit annoyed it isn't even and is willing to wait as long as it takes to heal if that makes any difference. Any advice greatly appreciated!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Elsabet · 19/07/2021 20:16

I had an uneven ear piecing, it was done with a gun and it’s 37 years old! Maybe age has made it worse but a larger pair of studs I have really showed the difference. Last week I went and had one ear redone with a needle, the new hole is about 2mm diagonally higher than the old hole. The piercer knows my daughter and said to her that her “friend” is very particular! Needless to say, she laughed and said that I was her mum and yes I am very particular!

Please
or

schmizaj · 19/07/2021 20:48

Ha ha that is funny!! Good for you though getting it exactly as you wanted. I kinda thought it might not be even at the time and wish I had insisted she measured it or I looked at it more closely. Good idea though about needle if re-did one side could do it with a needle to get it more exact which I guess you do through tattoo place

OP posts:
Please
or

Mol1628 · 19/07/2021 20:51

How off is it? Because ears aren’t symmetrical so they won’t be identical. I bet no one else would notice.

Please
or

schmizaj · 19/07/2021 20:59

One has been pierced sort of horizontal to the first piercing and the other is higher and slightly further away from the first. She could live with it but it could be better. Just thinking if were to take it out is better to do it sooner rather than later but if hole now marked/existing not worth it....

OP posts:
Please
or

Ivy48 · 19/07/2021 21:07

All
Mine are wonky/slightly off on each side. My sister the same. It’s
Never been a problem apart from large studs but even then it’s not too noticeable. No ones ever commented.

Please
or

LawnFever · 19/07/2021 21:11

I think after just six days if you take one out it’ll heal pretty quickly - where did you get them done? I’d speak to a proper piercing studio about getting it redone, and how long you should wait

Please
or

Iminaglasscaseofemotion · 19/07/2021 21:13

My seconds were uneven. As far as ai remember I didn't say anything at the time because I was just so happy my mum let me get it done so I kept it but then got it redone a bit later. You can still see the hole about 20 years later. No idea if anything would still go through it. Its basically right next to the original hole, but I'm fussy.

Please
or

DaisyChainsForever · 19/07/2021 21:24

i have 4 holes in each lower part of the ear and the 3rd holes don't match. It's frustrating as i can only wear tiny studs in that hole as it has a knock on effect on the holes either side of it.
If it was me i'd do something about it know, especially if she's likely to want a 3rd hole in the future(?)

Please
or

Kiitos · 19/07/2021 21:24

Mine are uneven. When I had them done the lady drew dots on and asked if they were OK and I asked her to move one slightly - turns out she had been right in the first place 😄
Can’t say it really bothers me though!

Please
or

schmizaj · 19/07/2021 22:15

@Kiitos

Mine are uneven. When I had them done the lady drew dots on and asked if they were OK and I asked her to move one slightly - turns out she had been right in the first place 😄
Can’t say it really bothers me though!

Agghhh! So hard when in that chair to make the right call and know whether to trust your own eyes or the professional!
OP posts:
Please
or

Eleoura · 19/07/2021 22:23

I had mine age 9 and 1 was uneven. Looking straight on, you could see the earring on one ear, but not the other, as it was done too close to my head! I never noticed till I was a teen and had a 2nd hole done in a more 'normal' position. The 1st hole is still there, but I don't use it.

You have 2 options. Take it out now, let it heal and re-do down the line. Leave it. It depends whether there is much distance between what could be hole 1 and 2? Taking out now would be my choice, especially if your daughter can already see its uneven.

Please
or

schmizaj · 19/07/2021 22:27

All very good advice, I think I'm going to contact a piercing place and ask if they can re-do in future and how long to leave it once she's taken earring out given that is so fresh. Didn't think of that, better than going back to the beautician who was super quick to mark and pierce! Then DD got to make the call to go through with a needle piercing or put up with it! Thank you so much all xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Elsabet · 20/07/2021 06:58

I had the needle piecing and it did not hurt at all, I imagined that he would be digging around with a needle! It was so quick, I had to breathe out deeply and he pierced me then. I was too busy thinking about my breathing to notice anything.
I would quite happily go back for more piercings with a needle.

Please
or

cardoon · 20/07/2021 09:14

Mine are uneven and 40 years later it still annoys me Angry
I would say sort it now

Please
or

Herja · 20/07/2021 09:20

Just out of interest, I've had my ears done with a gun, with a needle by a professional and numerous times by myself - needle and professional is the least painful, then me, THEN the gun. They hurt.

Please
or

Bbub · 20/07/2021 09:25

I recently pierced my seconds myself with a needle, one of them was off and I just took it out after a day or 2 and did it again about a week later, it had totally healed up almost straight away. So if its going to come out I'd say do it the sooner the better.

I'm no expert but Im sure 6 days is not long enough for it to be a permanent problem, so I'd just get it out asap

Please
or

schmizaj · 20/07/2021 10:02

@Elsabet

I had the needle piecing and it did not hurt at all, I imagined that he would be digging around with a needle! It was so quick, I had to breathe out deeply and he pierced me then. I was too busy thinking about my breathing to notice anything.
I would quite happily go back for more piercings with a needle.

That makes so much sense, they all just seem to go to a local beautician but for seconds precision of a needle is a better idea. I'll assure her is no more painful!
OP posts:
Please
or

schmizaj · 20/07/2021 10:09

@Bbub

I recently pierced my seconds myself with a needle, one of them was off and I just took it out after a day or 2 and did it again about a week later, it had totally healed up almost straight away. So if its going to come out I'd say do it the sooner the better.

I'm no expert but Im sure 6 days is not long enough for it to be a permanent problem, so I'd just get it out asap

Oh that's interesting. I think especially with teenage ears too sure will heal over quickly...
OP posts:
Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 20/07/2021 10:25

I think it would look awful as the hole is already done. Honestly, I'd live with it, no one will notice.

Please
or

schmizaj · 20/07/2021 10:48

@cardoon

Mine are uneven and 40 years later it still annoys me Angry
I would say sort it now

Yeah I'd be the same, that's why I thought I'd help her see if could sort it now!
OP posts:
Please
or

schmizaj · 20/07/2021 10:49

@MrsPelligrinoPetrichor

I think it would look awful as the hole is already done. Honestly, I'd live with it, no one will notice.

I know the more we stare at it the worse it looks because we keep looking at it!!!!!
OP posts:
Please
or

schmizaj · 20/07/2021 10:50

@Herja

Just out of interest, I've had my ears done with a gun, with a needle by a professional and numerous times by myself - needle and professional is the least painful, then me, THEN the gun. They hurt.

Really!! The noise of gun is awful too. Can't believe brave enough to do yourself though!!
OP posts:
Please
or

Fuzzysocksies · 20/07/2021 11:31

See if there is a local tattoo/piercing studio near you with actual trained piercers and ask them for advice. Even if they didn’t do the piercing they should be able to tell you the best way to go about healing or removing the wonky one.
Definitely get any future piercings done by needle at a piercing studio. Guns are more painful, less precise, and damage the ear tissue far more than needles, and can sometimes lead to infections or embedded earrings.

Please
or

Bbub · 20/07/2021 15:42

@schmizaj I just went to look in the mirror to see where the original mistake hole was and I can't see it, can't even tell or remember which ear it was now!

And this was only done about 6 weeks ago.

When I was researching how to do it myself lots of people were saying "doing this again after the original ones healed up" so I don't think healing and repericing is uncommon at all.

I'd ring a piercing shop up if you're unsure (I bet it would be fine but I know it's a bit different when it's your precious DDs ears!) and get advice. They will tell you how long to give to heal.

Please
or

Bbub · 20/07/2021 15:46

You could always buy a needle for £2 off amazon like me and do them for her next time 😂🙈

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?