My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Micellar water causing sore eyelids, anyone else suffer this?

41 replies

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 13:02

I've had terrible contact dermatitis on both eyelids for the last week. I don't normally wear makeup so the only change is that I have been and using Simple micellar water on a cotton pad to remove it.

I've used this micelllar water for ages and only had this problem now. But I've not changed any make up so seems the only answer.

Anyone else had this problem? What do you use to remove make up if you do? Thinking I maybe need some thing oily and gentle.

OP posts:
Ollivander84 · 26/12/2018 14:03

I struggle with eye makeup remover as they all seem to sting! The only ones I've found that don't are boots own brand cheap stuff. Currently using boots fragrance free eye makeup remover and it's fine Smile

MoltonSilver · 26/12/2018 14:11

Perhaps look at the use by symbol on both the make up and the micellar water if they have both been open a long time.

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 15:19

I did wonder about old make up being the issue but my eye pencil and mascara are less than 6 months old. Can micellar water really go off? I'm a bit Hmmabout use by dates on shower gel, make up remover and the like - isn't it just a way of cosmetic companies getting more cash out of us. I clean brushes in between uses as I'm don't wear make up very often.

OP posts:
Bombardier25966 · 26/12/2018 15:23

I find some micellar waters to be drying, especially around the eyes. Now I stick to the Bioderma one with a blue lid, no problems at all.

dontgobaconmyheart · 26/12/2018 15:35

I have this OP, in the end I had to begrudgingly accept it was causing a flare up and gave using it. Shame because it was so quick and easy Envy.
Have the ingredients been changed perhaps?

confused8 · 26/12/2018 15:53

Have you by any chance opened a new brand of cotton pads to take your make up off with? I've had exactly this problem and I ended up looking like I had 2 purple eyes with skin peeling off. I realised after about a week though, I was reacting to the cotton pads, not the make up remover. I had bought a new brand that were slightly coarser than the ones before and they were slowly reacting with my skin.

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 16:06

No, same cotton wool pads Confused. I think my skin is just so damn sensitive these days. I'm very definitely peri-menopausal and my previously lovely, clear skin is now bloody awful with a red chin, bumps all over, blotchy cheeks and is super sensitive and extremely dry. Sigh.

OP posts:
SheStoodInTheStorm · 26/12/2018 16:08

I personally get a new mascara every couple of months. Six months seems a long time. Hope you get sorted soon.

lindyloo57 · 26/12/2018 16:10

i had the same thing with the pink bottle, i took it back to superdrug, and got simple eye make up remover instead.

GobblersKnob · 26/12/2018 16:10

Have you tried Body Shops chamomile cleansing butter? I have very sensitive, dry skin and absolutely love it, it's very calming.

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 16:31

Gobbler never tried it but think I will. I'm doing a Body Shop order on shower gel in their sale anyway.

OP posts:
MooMinCow · 26/12/2018 17:33

I don’t use them but I remember seeing video about it - could be the residue?

darlingShelby · 26/12/2018 18:33

Simple cleansing oil is really gentle and breaks down eye make up very quickly.

Treeballarae · 26/12/2018 19:00

I second what MooMinCow has said, I used to get irritation and finally linked it to my micellar after watching that video, now I rinse and no longer have an issue with irritation

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 19:14

I think I'm going to abandon the micellar altogether. It's also making some of the rest of my face tight too, so now no longer for me. Shame, as it was so easy to clean and go.

OP posts:
Lomondstripe · 26/12/2018 19:56

Frustratingly, as it’s rather time consuming to rub it all in and remove, the only thing that removes my eye make up without leaving me with crusty, sore, streaking red eyes is almond oil!

tablelegs · 26/12/2018 20:28

I'm the same OP. I need to use a cream eye make up remover. Currently using boots. My eyes are very oily after and still sting a little but that's nothing compared to what my eyes are like for days after using anything else.

HerestoyouMrsRobinson · 26/12/2018 20:36

Yes, it made my eyelids scaly! Too weird!

persist · 26/12/2018 20:57

I had this too. I have it with many brands / types of make up remover. I've started using La Roche Posay cleansing gel and I bloody love it. It's the only cleanser I've ever found that genuinely doesn't irritate my eyelids.

soupmaker · 26/12/2018 22:26

I bought some LRP moisturiser, it bloody stung and made my skin sore and hot. So I'm not sure I want to try a cleanser in case it has the same effect.

OP posts:
justilou1 · 27/12/2018 13:34

Yes - Micellar water is really harsh. You need to make sure you wash it off properly after using it. I find using an oil cleanser is better for removing eye makeup (ALL makeup actually) then using a regular cleanser to remove that keeps my skin clean and clog-free.

Unexpectedbaby · 27/12/2018 18:23

I found this. I switched to the garnier one with oil in it and that one is fine. Think it was drying out my eyes.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CrookedMe · 27/12/2018 18:29

Yes, it was too harsh for my eyelids.

I just use a cloth now that removes make up with just water. It's brilliant.

GVmama · 27/12/2018 19:40

It's so odd that you've said this, my eyes are awful at the moment and I was at a total loss as to why! I wonder if they've changed the ingredients? I've used it for years with no problems.
My eye lids are crusty and my lash line is so itchy SadI've tried not to, but I've been rubbing my eyes and they're all bloodshot and sore.
@Lomondstripe can you share your almond oil make up removing process? I'm going to try that, almond oil is one of the few things that doesn't sting like hell!

driggle · 27/12/2018 19:53

Yep I had this. I was using the pink Garnier one and it was doing wonders for my skin but after a couple of weeks I started getting sore and pink eyelids and also under my eyes. GP said it was dermatitis and gave me a cream which eventually cleared it up but it came back whenever I used make up for months so I had to carefully avoid anywhere near my eyes. Not had it for about a year now though but never used micellar water since.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.