My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Can we please talk about H&Ms mental sizing?

31 replies

IsTheRainEverComingBack · 18/10/2018 13:22

I don’t mind if a brand all comes up small or big, I don’t care what number is in my clothes as long as they fit, but H&M seem to just pluck random numbers from a hat and stick them on the clothes. I have several XSs that fit, Ls that fit, 12/14/16s that fit.... it can’t all be drawn up to different fabrics surely?

OP posts:
lifebeginz · 18/10/2018 13:54

agreed! I have had to go 2 sizes up in jeans there....then size down in tops the next week. Crazy

MysteriousQuinn · 18/10/2018 13:59

Ugh completely agree. Their sizing drives me crazy, and I really like the clothes so I buy a lot from there. I usually have 2 small children with me as well so trying things on is a pain but I guarantee that I can't guess my size in there.

KipperTheFrog · 18/10/2018 14:02

Agreed. I stopped shopping there because it annoyed me so much!

georgedawes · 18/10/2018 14:10

Yes that's why I'd never shop online there, too much bloody hassle.

purpleme12 · 18/10/2018 14:13

Yes I've come away with clothes from there that fit me from size 6 to 12. Don't understand how that makes sense.

But I find it a lot in shops. Dorothy Perkins size 6 fits especially in dresses but it won't anywhere else. I just don't get it

megletthesecond · 18/10/2018 14:14

They are comedy gold with their sizing. I've given up on the labels and just use my eyes.

adoggymama · 18/10/2018 14:15

Debenhams have changed a lot recently too! I tried on a size 8 skirt- which usually would fit perfectly- if not a little tight depending on the size. And it was huge! Like gaping around my back

Violetroselily · 18/10/2018 14:19

I find the Basics range is a lot more generously sized than their other stuff

purpleme12 · 18/10/2018 14:38

I literally don't understand why sizes can't all be the same everywhere. Oh and by the way I'm sure shops in general have made their sizes bigger. Eg I used to fit size 6 jeans years ago most places when I look now I don't in most places by far.... But I still weigh the same? And also some of them I had years ago I still have and I can still get in them... Surely that proves it

IsTheRainEverComingBack · 18/10/2018 14:41

Comedy gold is definitely the way to put it. I love H&M clothes, I could probably live with only being able to shop there forever if it came to it, but the sizing is crazy. I don’t mind online shopping because I can easily pop to a store for returns, but it is madness.

OP posts:
IsTheRainEverComingBack · 18/10/2018 14:42

And yes, standardisation would be great across all brands, but the stores that vanity size wouldn’t like it.

OP posts:
holycityzoo · 18/10/2018 14:43

They have recently changed their sizing to supposedly try and stop this.
I've not bought anything yet so not sure if it's worked.

MysteriousQuinn · 18/10/2018 15:57

Well I had to buy a shirt in a size 8 in there the other day, I've got 38f boobs, never bought a size 8 shirt in my life 😂

BusterGonad · 18/10/2018 16:14

They've made their sizes bigger (July to August time) , so if you were previously a 10 then you'd now be an 8.

YesitsJacqueline · 18/10/2018 16:18

Last summer I bought a few items for my hols. At either end of the scale I had a size 8 t shirt and size 16 bikini Hmm
I'm a regular 10 !

Sitranced · 18/10/2018 16:19

I've stopped shopping at H&M because I can't be bothered with it. Got no chance of buying the right size when buying online and I haven't the time to be trying on in store every time. Their clothing line is much of a muchness compared to all the other shops on the high street so I don't even consider buying from there anymore.

Freshprincess · 18/10/2018 16:23

I have a cardigan and jumper from the children’s range, that are a little roomy. I’m a tall size 12. I’ve given up with trousers, I can’t be bothered with all the trying on.

SilverHairedCat · 18/10/2018 16:31

I'm a size 20ish. I buy in their plus range. I have had to go up to a 28 to get a pair of jeans on (FFS) , I have a pair of size 24 floaty trousers, some 20 tshirts, a 22 blouse or two and some large tops from the normal range. Barking.

jalopy · 18/10/2018 16:59

I ordered online recently and was totally baffled by the change in what I ordered, what size I received and what size they thought should be sent to me.

Everything was enormous and I had to size down to an 8 even though I'm always a size 10/12. Even that was a generous size.

The ordering process was more complicated than applying for a British passport.

JingsMahBucket · 18/10/2018 17:04

It's all the fast fashion stuff. I remember when different companies actually all had standardised sizing. You could consistently go The Gap, H & M, etc and things would fit almost entirely across the board. This all started to change around mid-2000s. Now because of fast fashion, all the different items are coming from different factories and so there's no consistency. A sweater on one rack will be from a different factory from the sweater right next to it on another rack. It's frustrating.

I have some early 2000s H & M stuff that's still beautiful and wears well. I wouldn't trust the same thing to happen now.

Prettysureitsnotok · 18/10/2018 17:16

The new sizes are ridiculous.

I ordered a couple of bits online, I'm usually a 10. Bought a dress which the reviews said to size up, so ordered a 12, got sent a 14. Bought a skirt in size M because I've found them narrow on the hips before, but the size M skirt was a good 2 inches wider than the 14 dress when laid on top. I didn't even try them on, got sent straight back.

lenalove · 19/10/2018 11:09

Yeah I can't stand them banging on about their new sizing and how "they've listened to feedback" eye roll still had to buy a size 14 pair of jeans the other day (I'm a 10 in literally every other shop on the high street...)

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Xjqcgwes · 19/10/2018 11:19

So glad it's not just me!

I bought a size 16 dress (I'm a size 14 but went up a size because it looked a bit small). It can't be bigger than a 10 (I have measured it against other sz 14 dresses I own and it's a lot smaller) so currently fits me where it touches me. I'm using it as slimming inspo!

ankasi · 19/10/2018 12:09

Last year I went into my local one and saw a pair of trousers in size 22 that might have just about fit my size 6 cousin, but only just. It's just completely bonkers.

I really liked H&M, but since they started popping up at almost every corner, quality has gone down a lot.

ankasi · 19/10/2018 12:10

Just to add, I'm a size 14 and just noticed these trousers as they were right at the front of the rack.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.