My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

You know those tights that have no toe bit

32 replies

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 21:29

for wearing with sandals. Are they wrong? Only I have to go to a wedding in two weeks - have got this dress and these shoes and don't facy bare legs much. Would it really be a fashion crime to wear those tights?

OP posts:
DonaAna · 06/05/2012 21:31

Yes it would.
(I have a pair.)

crazyday · 06/05/2012 21:32

Honestly, if it was me I would go for no tights, fake tan and the possibility of being a tiny bit chilly. After the first couple of drinks you'll be fine Wink

Catsmamma · 06/05/2012 21:33

they are hysterical......i had some once! It's very very weird to have tights on and toes out!

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 22:07

Damn, that's what I thought. Fake tan it is then.

OP posts:
boredandrestless · 06/05/2012 22:11

I've seen these but thought that even if the sandals did cover up the end of the tights on your feet, surely your toes would be a different colour to the tight covered part of your foot??

Henwelly · 06/05/2012 22:16

good lord they should be banned - fake tan all the way!!

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 22:20

Yes, but only a tiny bit of my toes will be sticking out of my shoes - they are peep toe rather than sandals. Does that make it better?

OP posts:
Henwelly · 06/05/2012 22:25

No!

Step away from the tights Grin

CMOTDibbler · 06/05/2012 22:28

I don't think they are that bad - if I am wearing a knee length dress and peeptoe shoes I wear toeless tights as my legs are not fit for general viewing

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 22:28

My legs are luminous white with an attractive blue road-map effect. If I can't wear the tights of shame do you care to recommend a fake tan suitable for applications by a cackhanded novice?

OP posts:
Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 22:29

The cavalry arrives! Do people point and laugh CMOT, that's what I want to know?

OP posts:
PullUpAPew · 06/05/2012 22:33

Oh, just wear the tights. No-one will be bothered! I always wear something that looks ok with footless tights for weddings, for this very reason. But I am scruffy and don't really care.

CMOTDibbler · 06/05/2012 22:34

They do not. And I don't think they closely inspect my toes for non matching colour either.

If the toeless tights haters have put you off, then instead of fake tan, use Sally Hansen airbrush legs - its a leg makeup that covers up bruises/veins. I use it to reduce the glare on formal occasions when wearing mid length skirts/dresses

PullUpAPew · 06/05/2012 22:34

It is a lovely dress btw, I like. If it is cold could you wear ballet flats instead and then you can wear any tights you like? Sorry if you always wear heels, it's just I am always seeking excuses not to wear them!

Henwelly · 06/05/2012 23:14

No, no, no, no, no!

Can you wear different shoes? After all it will probably be raining.

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 23:21

OMG, I just realised I have to factor in that I'm bringing emergency ballet flats for when the heels start to hurt too much. Which will be about five minutes after I put them on.
I am rubbish at this dressy-uppy thing.
Airbrush legs, you say?

OP posts:
Dollydowser · 07/05/2012 12:18

I think they are fine.

irregularegular · 07/05/2012 12:23

I've worn them occasionally. I think they are fine provided nobody notices! Which is quite possible, provided: first, tights are very sheer and not much different from your natural colour, just more perfect; second, not much toe on display; three, the shoe covers up the seam.

It's certainly better than seeing toe seams, mottled legs, or bad fake tan.

Chewbecca · 07/05/2012 16:39

I struggle with fake tan, especially round the ankles etc so I now have some leg make up, very inexpensive, from superdrug, it's like a foundation and it that just lifts my legs to a slightly better finish and shade than they are naturally. And of course it doesn't require any preparation and just washes off when needed.

amothersplaceisinthewrong · 07/05/2012 16:41

I got some tights with toes in from M&S for a posh do last week to wear with sandals. THey were very very fine with a fine seam which I put "under my foot". No one believed I had tights on at all. I think they were autograph bare 5 denier or something. Really good.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes · 07/05/2012 16:47

if you mean footless tights then no. if you mean sheer tights with no toe 'sock' bit or seams on the toe then yes they are ok, but they are very prone to ladders so make sure nails are short, filed and a pretty colour.

lurkingaround · 07/05/2012 16:49

Sally Hansen Airbrush is wonderful stuff. It can be a bit difficult to apply, and I find if you moisturise your legs first it goes on easier and more even. It looks your legs only much much better. And with none of those attractive venous flares! Great stuff. (I buy medium).

Step away from the toe-less tights and get thee some Sally Hansen!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

upahill · 07/05/2012 16:49

amothersplace

If they didn't look like tights and no one believed you had tights on what was the point of them? Confused just seems pointless

upahill · 07/05/2012 16:50

you couldn't wear flats with that dress.
It would look stupid.

Themumsnot · 07/05/2012 16:52

Lurking - that sounds good. Worried about it staining my dress though - is it quite smudgeproof?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.