My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

No more Mumsy - Who fancies a Make-Over thread?

78 replies

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 20:35

Right. I am bored.

I wear jeans every day.

Tshirts. When going somewhere smart, a fitted shirt/blouse or something like this

I feel frumpy and boring. Partly cause I have put on so much weight, I have to admit.

So today, I turned over a new leaf. I joined a gym, had my hair cut and coloured and realised I need a new style. But I don't know what.

Something more quirky and modern.

Any ideas?

OP posts:
LittlePandaBear · 25/04/2012 20:49

Congrats on joining the gym and getting your hair done!

I'm no style expert (I'm sure one will be along shortly) but I can suggest starting with getting some new shoes/bags. It could boost your esteem having something that you can wear regardless of your weight going up and down. Some brightly coloured wedges (just pray for sun!) can make a dull outfit look more cheery!

Also, the blouse you linked to is really very very mumsy - I'm not sure that they really suit anyone. Maybe try a few new shops You're likely to find something a little more flattering and trendy in Warehouse/Oasis.

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 20:56

Thanks Panda.

Problem with trendy places is that they tend to go up to about a size 16. I have no hope until I lose a bit of weight.

And tbh, I don't really want Warehouse - I find them a bit boring too. I want something different. But I don't know what.

OP posts:
MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 20:59

Like this - but that is not really very different from what you can buy in M&S, and they only go up to a L, which is certainly too small.

Not necessarily only looking for stuff for now, but for when I slim down a bit.

I have always had a clear cut, preppy kind of style. But I am BORED.

OP posts:
StyleGuile · 25/04/2012 21:13

At the risk of annoying everyone with the suggestion of reading some style blogs - why don't you have a look at some style blogs? You can dip in and out of them and find a few that you like. They might give you some inspiration. Even if the bloggers aren't the same shape as you look for clothing combinations, colour combinations, different styles, how to accessorise etc. You could take a look at suburban style, schoolgate style, cocomama style, fashionmommy. I'm not allowed to mention my own as I will get told off by MN but my user name is a clue! Have fun!

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 21:22

Thanks, will do that.

For instance (and at the risk of offending you and 85% of MN), this is the kind of thing I have been wearing for the past 20 years.

I am bored of it. BORED. (You get that I am bored, right?)

OP posts:
StyleGuile · 25/04/2012 21:29

I'm not offended at all but I get that you are bored - which anyone would be if they wore the same thing for 20 years! Flick through some of the other outfits - there are plenty to choose from from mine, and other, blogs.

NotMostPeople · 25/04/2012 21:35

Actually I do think that is a bit rude, StyleGuile offered you some advice and your reply sounded like a petulant child. There was no need to pick out one of her outfits to demonstrate your point.

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 21:38

Erm. I wasn't being rude.

There were plenty of outfits on the blog that I liked. I picked that one to show the kind of style I wear at present and to express that I was looking for ideas to do something different.

I was not being a petulant child. It was supposed to be a joke. Sorry, if it didn't come over that way.

OP posts:
MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 21:39

And the "bored bored bored" bit was tongue in cheek. I thought that was clear, since I kept repeating it.

OP posts:
morecoffeemorecoffee · 25/04/2012 21:43

Hi mme I am feeling just like you.

Two years ago I was a happy confident size 10/12

I'm now a frumpy and uncomfortable size 16

I've struggled to loose weight. Let my hair style go and basically feel about 10 years older than I am.

So, you have inspired me to take action!

Tomorrow I will book in for a cut and colour. I will also go to the gym. I will go shopping and buy myself something new on the credit card and I will paint my nails.

I am going on holiday in a months time so will also purchase a bottle of fake tan to boost my pool side confidence!

I'm stuck in a rut clothes wise. Need comfy shoes that look good, but will cope with walking a few miles a day (school run and back twice a day). I want a few key items that I can mix and match to create lots of outfits. I also need this all to be highstreet affordable!

I may go for a look around tomorrow and see what I cam find.

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 21:46

Hurrah. Glad to have inspired you, Coffee.

Here, I like this but it wouldn't suit me. Even when I lose weight, I will always be curvy and this style looks awful on me.

I do know what suits me, as in what flatters my figure, but I want more than that. I want to really enjoy shopping.

OP posts:
pepperrabbit · 25/04/2012 21:56

I think I might need more than a make-over - I need a start again Sad
My entire wardrobe has depleted to one outfit essentially.
Jeans, white T shirt, V necked jumper (I have squillions) of whatever colour comes out the drawer.
How did this happen?
I've just been scrolling through your blog styleguile going "ooh dresses! ooh coloured trousers! jackets" Smile I think I need to be braver about trying stuff on and seeing what works...
I've never looked at afashion blog before Blush

googietheegg · 25/04/2012 21:57

That outfit you linked to is really awful, so bland, but I actually really like the m&s floral top. It's probably more to do with being overweight and not feeling comfortable in your own skin.

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 22:01

Pepper
Me too! I have about 8 v necked jumpers, in various colours.

Am also being inspired by the blog. I like the slash neck jumpers - they look less classic, more trendy that v-neck. And the accessorising with scarves. (I know that is spelled wrong)

OP posts:
MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 22:02

The floral shirt is actually nicer in RL. The colours suit me.

OP posts:
TheSecondComing · 25/04/2012 22:06

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotMostPeople · 25/04/2012 22:12

Sorry MmeLindor I clearly misinterpreted you.

nomoreminibreaks · 25/04/2012 22:13

I think I'm in the same rut as you. On the days when I feel more 'put together' I wear my grey skinny jeans, a loose fitting top to hide my wobbly belly a blazer and a scarf - either with boots or ballet pumps depending on the weather.

The top, scarf and shoes can be mixed and matched to give different looks.

This is probably too boring as well but it's as adventurous as I get...

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 22:13

Legs: awful. Ask me again in 2 months.
Tits: big and ok

Not keen on corsetry, other than a decent bra.

I always thought wearing jeans under a dress would make me look even wider. And I am a short-arse so the proportions are not great for tunics.

Scarves. I can see that I need scarves.

OP posts:
maples · 25/04/2012 22:14

MmeLindor. · 25/04/2012 22:16

No worried, NotMostPeople. I always assume folk understand when I am being silly, but it is not always easy to make the point I am trying to make with no visual clues, if you see what I mean.

We need StyleGuile to come back and do MN MakeOver for Frumpy Mumsies.

OP posts:
TheSecondComing · 25/04/2012 22:23

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

suburbanstyle · 25/04/2012 22:27

Yes go for scarves, they will last even as you shrink Smile, lots of nice ones in Primark at the moment.

What about H&M they do large sizes and are a bit more edgy that M&S, what with being swedish and all.

I have got this jacket which automatically makes me feel more "together". Is nice worn over a plain T shirt with an all important scarf.

TheSecondComing · 25/04/2012 22:33

morecoffeemorecoffee · 25/04/2012 22:40

tsc I am stealing your style tips! I am by no means tall (5ft4) and my legs aren't great, but that's my style! I will be hitting the shops tomorrow and will check back with some of my purchases!

mme I have couple of those all in one underwear things with proper underwired cups, tummy support/shape and does up between your legs. I have to say I love them! They aren't the really industrial type ones, but they just give me a smoother shape (less lumps and bumps!) Mine are both from m&s. I have a black and a nude and they have removable straps. I would really recommend you look into something like this!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.