My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

How to get long loose curls in my hair- help please!

30 replies

theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 08:23

I need something to help style my hair.
It s long and thick.
I have babiliss heated rollers but they take time- is there a quicker way?
I ve looked at styling wands and then get confused as there s such a selection.
Essentially I was long loose curls.
Does anyone have a wand recommendation or would the BBH work?
I ve tried the sock bun but I can't do it on my hair - it s too thick and long I can't seem to Mather the technique - I can't seem to catch all the hair in a tight enough roll.

OP posts:
theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 08:23

*master - sorry, on phoneBlush

OP posts:
Downbytheocean · 28/02/2012 08:31

Heated rollers and wand didn't produce the loose curls I was after and didn't hold without product. Ghd's work really well, hold on an angle and drag down section of hair, sure there'll be a video on YouTube of how to do it.

jollyoldstnickschick · 28/02/2012 08:33

yes you need GHDs and you can do loose curls really easily -use heat spray tho.

ruddynorah · 28/02/2012 08:36

I use a babyliss waving wand. It's a tong but rather than being round or conical it's like an oval so you get waves rather than spirals. The bigger the sections I wrap round the looser the curl.

MustControlFistOfDeath · 28/02/2012 08:36

Babylis Big Hair is the way to go. So easy to use and great results. Seriously.

theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 08:45

I was hoping there would be an easier way then the ghd. I don't seem to twist it right I can get a -' wave' but it looks a bit messy and ili tendri get a funny kink in the ends when I try the ghd. But I hadn't through of u tube videos.
I thought the BBH wasn't great if you had think hair - am I wrong?

OP posts:
theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 08:46

Oh sorry for typos - on phone and wriggly dd on my knee Grin

OP posts:
therumoursaretrue · 28/02/2012 08:58

I second the GHDs method, it took me a while to get the hang of it too but once you have it right it's not difficult. It's just getting it initially!
If you find heated rollers time consuming then it might take too long though. I find heated rollers so handy as I can set my hair in 5 minutes and then get on with make-up etc while they work their magic! For me it's the quickest method.

If you have a slight natural wave to your hair you could go to a salon and ask them to show you how to do a curly blow-dry. Loads of salons will do this and you might find it quicker than using curlers or tongs!

MustControlFistOfDeath · 28/02/2012 09:12

I've got thick hair and the BBH mkes light work of it. I just section it as I would have previously when I used to blow dry/straighten it. Doddle! Smile

salamanda · 28/02/2012 10:28

If you want to try a wand, I've just bought this and it's great: Remington Pearl Curling Wand. Even though the barrel looks small you can make big loose curls by wrapping larger chunks of hair round it and holding it for 5 seconds instead of 10. is a helpful youtube vid...it's in german but you just need to watch her do it :)

I've tried curling with GHDs and they give me an unnatural looking curl that drops out really fast. The wand's curls last for days!

ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 12:45

Man on the telly yesterday was doing Angelina's Oscar hair. He said the thing most people get wrong is not keeping the hair wrapped round the wand for long enough - he suggested 30 secs per curl. And then to brush it out with your fingers.

salamanda · 28/02/2012 13:07

30 seconds?? I guess it depends what heat setting you have the wand on, but I find that my hair curls fine with it after 5-10 seconds on 180. If your hair is thick and strong 30 seconds might be fine, but there is a danger of frying your hair off with these ceramic tools that can heat up to over 200 deg C. My hairdresser told me a horror story the other day about a girl who'd come in having burnt off a huge hunk of her hair and blackened half the rest of it by using one of those 'waver' tools - scared me!

spikemomma · 28/02/2012 14:05

The sock bun method! Go on you tube and type in sock Bun curls. No electrics, but an over night solution to get wavy hair. Wish I had good enough hair to try it! Tell me if you do it and if it works!

ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 14:09

Salamanda, it was a hairdresser on This Morning. He said most people don't leave the barrel in the hair for long enough and that's why the curls drop.

But I'm sure it's different for all.

salamanda · 28/02/2012 14:11

hi spikemomma, the op said the sock bun doesn't work for her - but I do it and it works for me - sometimes! Some nights half my hair falls out of it and I end up with half straight, half perfect curls. Other days it works brilliantly! I find it's best on hair that was washed a day or two before, and on hair without too many layers. Your hair needs to be long enough to get it all on top of your head in a ponytail too, otherwise the underneath layers won't get curled.

Eggrules · 28/02/2012 14:12

I agree with spikemomma .

theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 14:54

Thank you for the replies and tips. I am obviously doing something wrong [ duh emoticon] - I ve watched the sock bun u tube methods - I have long super thick hair that comes to well below bra strap so
It s long enough to get into bun and to roll up - there s a few layers at the front but not through the back and main body f hair (though thinking of getting more)
I ve tried on a few occasions with freshly washed or day old hair but I can roll the hair it a so darn thick it gets all loose as I roll it and by the time I get to the end it s sprawled all Over my head Grin I look silly (not that it matters for the purpose of getting a curly head)
That said though my description of my hair sounds awful it s actually quite nice and when there s curls in it - did them
Last weekend w rollers and ghd combo (but took over hour) it s hassle.
There s a babiliss wand and Remington pearl wand on offer at my local
Pharmacy thinking of trying one of them .... Does anyone think one is superior to the other???

OP posts:
theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 14:55

*should read it a nice when curls in it .

OP posts:
crazyaccountant · 28/02/2012 15:24

Get a babyliss wand and a can of loreal elnette hairspray, I also use a heat protector spray loreal tech ni art from salon however a friend of mine raves about the tresemme version which is much cheaper! Method, take 1 inch ish sections spray with heat protector, wrap around and hold for 10 secs at most if wand on high heat setting then spray with hairspray as you tease the curl to desired "look" once you have finished set the whole lot with another blast of hairspray and you are good to go! I've tried all sorts and this is tried and tested on my long fine hair!

ilovebabytv · 28/02/2012 15:32

I have long thick hair and ghds are the best for waves. The only way i can explain it is it is like when you use scissors to curl ribbon. I take largish sections then use my fingers to separate at the end. It used to take me ages but been doing it for a few years now and can have it done in 10 mins. Also more drastic but i am seriously thinking about getting a digital perm as I heard they can last for about 8 months but they are pretty pricey.

jshm2 · 28/02/2012 15:59

Use brown paper bags - no really.

After a shower, ensure your hair is damp but not dripping. Cut a paper bag or two into strips and cut the ends to give you straight edges.

Decide the size of curls you want and curl the appropriate size with the paper strip and clip or fold the top. Leave to dry and voila - curls.

Look up Youtube "paper bag curls" if your not able to picture what I'm saying.

One of my former girlfriends was an ecofreak and used to do this rather than use tongs.

boogiewoogie · 28/02/2012 19:43

Try rag curling. It's similar to the paper strip method as described by jshm2. There are quite a few Youtube tutorials on this and my favourite one is

is also very good.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

toddlerama · 28/02/2012 19:54

I let mine air dry overnight in bendy rollers from poundland. Basically the same as rag curls or paper strip but easier. They last until washed out, but I need to sleep in them after applying to damp, not wet, hair.

theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 19:59

Hmm Riga and paper sounds like they would be much kinder to my split ends .... But I m after something less time consuming....
I like to look for the impossibleGrin
Ok think I might have to try the babyliss wand.....I shall report back after the weekend [ hopefully with a full head of bouncy curls or luscious waves Wink]

OP posts:
theseventhdwarf · 28/02/2012 19:59

Oh and thanks everyone the the links and replies BiscuitBiscuitBiscuit

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.