My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

What coat on earth do people wear with posh frocks?

45 replies

mumsky · 13/02/2012 11:48

I'm going to a wedding likely to be full of quite cool types. I used to attempt cool, I think, in the past, but I can't really remember Grin

I have a red dress which is knee length and more filmy than not and I'm intending to go bare-legged with tan shoes. But what on earth can I wear arriving and at the ceremony, it's bound to be draughty.

I was thinking a fake fur wrap or shrug or something but I can't seem to find anything that isn't a bit princessy and also it's a bit twixt the seasons isn't it (end of Feb) so I don't want to buy something very wintery.

I have a bit of budget, mainly because it's DP's ex who still hankers after him who's getting married.

OP posts:
cyb · 13/02/2012 11:50

I have a plain black cromby type coat, in cashmere which I turn the collar up and tuck a clutch under my arm.

Could you go smart trench and belt with atttitude?

Whirliwig72 · 13/02/2012 11:53

How revealing is dress? Can you slip a thermal cami vest under it then cover your arms with a wrap?

mumsky · 13/02/2012 11:59

A good idea Whirliwig, but the dress is reasonably revealing, red and a bit floaty.

I don't have a full length coat other than my duvet coat, which I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to wear.

I don't go to these things much, so if I'm going to buy something new I would rather it was useable in other situations. I would actually buy a nice fake fur jacket but they all look a bit pouffy and OTT.

OP posts:
cyb · 13/02/2012 12:04

Oh please dont wear a duvet coat

has a friend got something you could borrow? A smarter more tailored coat?

or look in second hand for fur type thing and get dry cleaned

ArtVandelay · 13/02/2012 12:13

I have a DVF coat in black wool that looks like a dress which is brilliant for going over dresses. Here it is - its pretty old now but I still get it out to wear with dresses. The top is fitted and then it flares out so it doesn't crush a dress.

myitthings.com/shaunab/Item/fashion/It-Designer/Diane-von-Furstenberg-Quinnie-Long-Coat/471117200723469798.htm

I saw some not a million miles off in Zara in the winter coats, they were really nice - if you check online in the clearence they might still have them. Its a shame its such an inbetweeny season time for shopping but I bet you'll still need something warm.

Francagoestohollywood · 13/02/2012 12:17

You need a smart coat.
I second Zara, good chance to find a smart, stylish coat, without breaking the bank.
Have you browsed theoutnet already?

mumsky · 13/02/2012 12:23

Don't worry Cyb, I will poke my own eyes out first!

Thanks Art, that's a lovely coat but I would need one a bit longer because I think the hem of the dress would show below. I kind of think a jacket would be more useful long term.

I'm half considering this, but a bit worried about the watership down element.

OP posts:
ArtVandelay · 13/02/2012 12:23

ASOS clearance has some nice ones and some real bargains. If you got something like this -
www.asos.com/Darling/Darling-Jennifer-Coat/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2092365&cid=2110&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Black
Then you could afford to go a bit mad and get a McQueen scarf or some other 'wow' accessory if you really want to knock the brides eyes out :)

(I like the shape of that jacket although I'm not sure about the fabric.)

ArtVandelay · 13/02/2012 12:26

You do have budget! Good for you Wink I like the little jacket but with red you might look like Santa? But it would be very 'wow'.

worldgonecrazy · 13/02/2012 12:32

I have something like this. Expensive but per wear has worked out very cheap. I always feel uber-glamorous when I'm wearing it and it goes with everything from jeans, to day dress right through to full-on evening dresses.

mumsky · 13/02/2012 12:34

Oh, hadn't considered the santa's little helper side of things Shock

I also have an olive green dress, also knee-length, silk, that is more weddingesque, but less enjoyably slutty, which would be a shame Grin.

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 13/02/2012 21:01

What about a black blazer?you could wear it loads afterwards.

theseventhdwarf · 13/02/2012 22:26

I got a lovely whistles coat in the pre Christmas sales- cant link on phone but maybe worth a look too

pluckingupcourage · 13/02/2012 22:59

If this is a DP-ex then I think you should go for something leaner as that will feel sexier than a fur coat (though fur trim would be no problem). I have a faux fur jacket but all of them seem to add inches where you'd rather not have them. I like the idea of a coat-like dress or a fur-trimmed wrap though!

pluckingupcourage · 13/02/2012 23:00

sorry that should have read "dress-like coat". It's my bedtime I think ...

higamoushogamous · 14/02/2012 09:25

Please don't buy anything with chinese rabbit fur in it - I could post some not very nice video clips but all I'm saying is it would not have had a nice life or death.

KandyBarr · 14/02/2012 10:22

I bought a slim, tailored creamy white-coloured coat form Reiss years ago for smart occasions. I thought it would be hopelessly impractical but it's versatile and surprisingly I've had loads of wear out of it.

Similar here.

I always feel a bit like Madonna when I wear it. I think the sheer impracticality of a smart white coat that makes it feel chic and expensive-looking.

KandyBarr · 14/02/2012 10:23
TapselteerieO · 14/02/2012 12:43

If you have a decent budget this would add warmth without bulk?

PurplePidjin · 14/02/2012 12:51

I have a long leather coat (think matrix or Buffy) that works quite well. Very classic single breasted cut, it curves in all the right places Wink Teamed with a fake fur scarf it would be very glam indeed!

mumsky · 14/02/2012 20:14

Wow thanks for all the links. I do like the idea of a long-line coat but am just such an informal type I wonder if I'd wear it again. The only reason I have such a healthy budget is I have to get married myself in the early spring so I'm hoping I can get something I can use for both.

Plucking it is DP's ex and you're right I do want to look the part (not that it isn't all water well under the bridge of course Wink).

OP posts:
mumsky · 14/02/2012 20:17

Also, I found this which I think might look sufficiently glam, don't know what anyone thinks!

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

cyb · 14/02/2012 20:19

Nice clutch

And ARF at 'I have to get married myself in the spring'

Is it a shotgun wedding?

mumsky · 14/02/2012 20:23

cyb we are both pretending to find it a terrible bore Grin

OP posts:
Shineyoncrazydiamond · 14/02/2012 20:25

I would wear a wrap/pashmina.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.