My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Help Tres Posh wedding - need help styling this dress...

26 replies

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:14

S&B lovelies - I need your help.

I am going to a wedding in a marquee (in March - eek)

I am wearing this dress:

this one

I need some thing to keep the chill off... thinking navy, bit not sure what...

help me...totally lacking in inspiration!

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 20:27

Oohh very nice...I would normally pair it with a delicate, slightly sparkly cardi and gold strappy sandals but if it is very posh...how about a chanel style boucle jacket in a cream with nude patent heels and clutch?

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:29

Shopstyle here I come! Fab ideas mrs! I am so stuck in a navy rut...

Also, I have to wear a hat. Help.

OP posts:
FauxFox · 10/02/2012 20:34
mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 20:35

Yikes - the only think I know about hats is that Phillip Tracey was the nation's darling until that awful thing on the princess' head in April and that I can never find one to fit my head (freakishly small head). I think facinators are confined to older women and lovers of burlesque (neither are bad things). I always wear a hair accessory instead - something vintage looking and jewelled. If that is an option then find mrs cumbernatch on the tanzanite thread - she would know of places to look. If a hat is a definate then either hope the right person sees this thread or start a new one.

(I would wear a pearl hair comb in a french pleat if hair allows - would look gorgeous)

FauxFox · 10/02/2012 20:40

I have only worn a hat for a wedding once and I would really.really recommend finding a shop that rents them so you can go in (with dress) and try on loads to find one tha fits/suits and pay £40 odd quid to rent it for the weekend. You'll get a much nicer hat for the money and if you are never likely to wear it again who cares that it has to be returned?

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:40

Faux, I'm loving the one from the pretty dress co! So lovely

Mrs... I wish I could wear something like that but my hair is super fine... things just slide out of it. Doesn't have to be a hat... but now Ascot have banned fascinators I'm worried it's just not the done thing anymore Grin

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 20:40

The cream jacket, 2nd down, one looks perfect to me...

FauxFox · 10/02/2012 20:42

Glad you like - I have bought from them before and quality is good Smile Don't know why the models they use are so orange/ropey though Hmm

mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 20:42

exactly - facinators just aren't good!!! If you can find one - a hat like Julia roberts wore to the races in Pretty Woman would look tres chic!!

To keep things in hair - dry shampoo works wonders :o

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:43

It's gorgeous!

What shoes then? not good with nude heels as I am so pale they look beige on me.

OP posts:
tiddleypompom · 10/02/2012 20:44

Not a S&B expert, but I couldn't help but notice and am home alone and nosy

Mrs - the nude heels and Chanel jacket sounds perfect (also obeying rule to steer clear of shoes darker than outfit). Will elongate legs and look tres chic (sorry, have had some wine).

So....hat. They are generally expensive or naff. Like hair comb/french pleat, but careful not to look ma'am-ish or 'safe'. Got to be net - over eyes if feeling especially brave (think lovely eye makeup and come hitherness) but certainly over the hairline. Can be bought and gathered and fixed onto comb.

Lovely dress and plain enough to carry off above. Just don't over-accessorise.

Just my thoughts - thanks for letting me join in but feel free to ignore my rioja-fuelled ramblings!

p.s. red lips.

FauxFox · 10/02/2012 20:48

Shoes...are you good in high heels?
cream
snake pink/red
snake and suede
snake

FauxFox · 10/02/2012 20:50

Oooh glad I obeyed you shoe colour rule without knowing tiddley Smile

mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 20:50

The whole point of nude shoes is to get a colour as close to your skin tone as poss - it really will elongate your legs. I also have pale legs but my secret (if you dont want to wear tights and, lets be fair - who can be bothered pulling them up (stockings sooo not appropriate for that dress and possible windy day), I put a foundation on my legs Shock. I use BE so I buff it onto my legs with a big kabuki brush and it lasts all day.

If you really cant do nude then go pale gold.

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:50

I have to confess - I bought the dress so I can do flicky eyes and red lips...

The Julia Roberts look in that scene is one I have aspired to since I was a teenager...sad case I know...

I can hire a hat - tis very reasonable and you can get some beautiful ones. thinking something like this? hat - ish

OP posts:
BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 20:53

Faux, loving the cream Dune heels... stunning and perfect!

Mrs - I use the rimmel leg makeup, is amazing for me, my skin is the colour of skimmed milk, so attractive!

I knew you guys would some up with the goods!

OP posts:
woopsidaisy · 10/02/2012 20:55

This weeks Heat magazine has a special style section on that very dress! Will hunt it out...

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 21:01

Thanks Woops!

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 21:05

I used to use the rimmel but one night a true idiot of a woman lady, spilt a drink down my legs and it was very embarrasing running to the facilities with streaky legs - my BE is much easier to disguise :o

mrsmartin · 10/02/2012 21:07

Also - me too re aspiring to look like julia in that scene. Think I pretty much have it down though (I'm not smug - honest Wink)

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 21:09

My worst fear - leg mkae up and heavy rain!

I'll go with the BE recommendation, I have a pot of matte that I don't like that can happily go on the legs!

OP posts:
woopsidaisy · 10/02/2012 21:11

OK, it is the "One look four ways" bit. The other 3 ways are very casual, but they are going for the Chanel inspired jacket theme too.
They suggest a Topshop cute black jacket-can't see it on the website unfortunately,costs £65.
With http://www.missselfridge.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33055&storeId=12554&productId=3516718&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208104&parent_categoryId=208101&pageSize=40&refinements=Colour{1}~[black]&noOfRefinements=1 these shoes, which I personally don't really like.
And a little clutch by Dune-which isn't on their website either,kind of black and gold colour.
Not much help really,sorry!
But it would seem from the article that Frankie from the Saturdays has a very similar dress...she went for black accessories too!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

woopsidaisy · 10/02/2012 21:12

Gah! My link!
Shoes?

BovrilonToast · 10/02/2012 21:15

Thanks Woops, is it in this week's mag? (any excuse to buy heat!)

OP posts:
woopsidaisy · 10/02/2012 21:20

Yes. Latest edition. Lovely dress by the way.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.