My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

What sorts of things do you over 35s wear?

97 replies

slapmeonthepatio · 02/02/2012 11:48

It might sound a bit of a daft question, but I posted on here recently asking for advice on a dress and it turns out I might have frumpish tendencies.

It's got me thinking I need to revisit my wardrobe - but I have no clue where to start.

I've just turned 38 - I suppose I'm feeling a bit old and I'm fed up with the clothes I wear (generally jeans and boots with shirts or a top seems to be my staple).

I don't have much of a budget for clothes, so I suppose I need to start with a few basics and learn how to accessorise.

Any advice would be welcome.

OP posts:
MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain · 02/02/2012 11:49

Just marking my place. You don't want tips from me.

slapmeonthepatio · 02/02/2012 11:51
Grin
OP posts:
TopazMortmain · 02/02/2012 11:52

What's your body shape?

MrsCampbellBlack · 02/02/2012 11:53

Well I'm a SAHM so don't do office wear. I tend to wear a lot of jeans - skinny or super skinny and for day these are tucked into ankle boots.

I wear a lot of silk shirts or t-shirts with scarves.

Good sunglasses/bag/jacket or coat.

In spring and summer this year - I'll be wearing coloured skinnies - have a lavender pair already with pretty tops.

Depends so much on your shape/colouring/lifestyle really.

For going out - I like skinnies with heels and a more glam top or a dress.

I'm short and have reasonable legs but tricksy tummy area - hence my love of shirts.

slapmeonthepatio · 02/02/2012 11:55

It used to be slim/hourglass.

Since then, I've had 4 DCs. So I suppose I'm more apple now (though I'm working on it - that waist must be there somewhere, right?). I have slightly longer legs than top half of my body (but not weirdly so) I'm a size 12/14 but nearer 14 in most shops.

OP posts:
Gillybobs · 02/02/2012 12:20

Buy really good jeans (not necessarily £££, gap and oasis do good cuts). Coloured jeans very "in" too, you can experiment with cheapies (Tesco doing gorgeous ones for £14)

Decent flat boots for now and nice ballet pumps for Spring Summer

I like blouse type tops rather than tshirts, I just feel a bit smarter in them, pair them with jeans and flats and its not too dressy. Oasis/Zara/Warehouse good for these. Also worth checking out Dorothy Perkins

Nice leather bag. Try Topshop or Oasis for something in nice soft leather thats not pricey

Couple of nice print scarfs. they really make all the difference to an outfit.

Before you buy anything decide on a palette of colours that suit you and buy everything from that. then everything will go together. Dont do random purchasing and then wonder why nothing goes : ) I like Navy, tan and coral/red.

slapmeonthepatio · 02/02/2012 12:23

These are all fantastic tips - I like the idea of coloured skinny jeans (I mostly wear skinny jeans, but I wear with knee boots).

I have dark hair and dark eyes and pale-ish skin. I can't wear yellow. I like reds and certain greens and blues. I'm not sure I'd get on with tan (the yellow thing).

I think I am guilty of random purchasing...

OP posts:
ihatethecold · 02/02/2012 12:25

i am 38 and a size 12. hourglass figure, 5'2" tall (or small)
i work in an office but don't have to wear black trousers etc.
i also have 3 kids and wear the same at home as at work.

i have loads of Zara cardigans in diff colours.
have a few of their grey/blue v neck jumpers too.
i wear ankle skimming slim trousers and ballet flats or converse or jumper dresses with tights/ leggings and biker boots.
always wear bright colors mostly purple or blue.
when i go shopping i try and only buy things that will go with stuff i have already.

i buy from Zara, fat face, odd bit of white stuff.

ihatethecold · 02/02/2012 12:27

i also love oasis and buy trousers from red herring in debenhams.

Gillybobs · 02/02/2012 13:14

You sound like you may be a Winter in terms of your colouring so yellow is def a no-no. You'll probably find cool toned bright colours suit you best (like electric blue/jade green/fuschia pink/bright red) Maybe a palette of Navy/silver grey and then one of the brights might work?

Tesco had the coloured jeans in bright blue. Might be a not too scary place to start with coloured jeans? You could go for a bag and a print scarf in similar colours. And get some neutral tops. Would probably help you feel more "together"

Write a list and stick to it to avoid the random thing.

margoandjerry · 02/02/2012 13:16

I like to wear a bonnet. And a shawl. And bloomers.

QuinnFabray · 02/02/2012 13:22

I'd always been overweight, as a teenager and all through my twenties, I ranged from a size 14 to 18. I didn't care what I wore, I thought I looked shit in everything anyway, so didn't bother. I lost four stone when I was 32, and I'm bloody well making up for it now ( nearly 37 ). I shop at Top Shop, Zara, Mango and French Connection.

I wear dresses and skirts, usually quite short - as in mid thigh, not mini. Fashionable but toned down I guess. I read a lot of fashion and style blogs for inspiration. Go for it, we're still young. As a 65 year old friend of mine said to me, put your skinnies and your mascara on, and fuckit. She's amazing.

madammecholet · 02/02/2012 13:25

LOL at margoandjerry..

I think I am MrsCB.. we dress EXACTLY the same, altho i'm 5'9, 38yrs and wear my skinnies with long boots...

I always have a scarf (MN scarf today), or chunky knit, I'm never without my Tom Ford sunnies, and I am obsessed with handbags. So for me, its keep the basics simple and accessorize to the max. :) Ohh, and I have shellac nails done & eyelash extensions..

Other than that i'm really low maintenance honest :)

cyb · 02/02/2012 13:48

I'm nearly 41 and I wear what I bloody like

BUT you HAVE to know what suits your shape and what shops will usually fit you

try a couple of dresses. I love dresses. I also love a short skirt with thick tights and short baggyish jumper of some description

Look at Zara outfits on their site online to see how to put stuff togther

Age has nothing to do with it btw Wink

phatcat · 02/02/2012 13:49

and when you find out what style / brands you like, shop for it on eBay and save £££s. Allows you to shop late at night when the kids are in bed and look forward to delicious bargains arriving regularly in the post. I can't shop in proper shops now!

snowmummy · 02/02/2012 14:43

I'm with cyb - I wear what I like and at 41 I dress better and more adventurously than I did when I was 31. For daytime, I like skinnies with boots, short skirts and thick tights and dresses. I'm a SAHM and I like H and M because I can buy lots of things fairly cheaply so it doesn't matter too much if they get wrecked from chasing around after the kids.

MrsCampbellBlack · 02/02/2012 14:46

Don't we all wear what we like?

I'd rather be a tad mutton than mumsy personally but know what suits me and thats fairly simple/plain stuff. I am 5ft and a small size 8 so don't like to be overwhelmed.

But I don't have much of a waist so do find dresses quite tricksy so don't wear that often.

snowmummy · 02/02/2012 15:03

Yes we wear what we like but I suppose what I mean is that I wear what I want to wear rather than what others may think I should wear at my age. I don't adhere to any 'rules' regarding what women my age should wear. So if I like it I wear it. See what I mean?

MrsCampbellBlack · 02/02/2012 15:17

Oh I see - well I do too then Smile

breaktime · 02/02/2012 15:35

Now I'm 45 there are some things I used to like but shy away from now. this is mostly things with puffed sleeves and too many frills - I'm just too ancient to get away with this now. I also don't wear things that are too short but that's because I don't like hoiking my skirt down. When I was 18 I liked wearing second hand midi pleated skirts, cheap t-shirts, chinese slippers and socks and tights, with an old lady coat over the top - wouldn't get away with that now!

For work I wear dresses/boots, trousers/nice top/cardigan, occasionally suits, with ballet flats/brogues/ankle boots. For home I rely on jeans (straight or skinny), and different tops/warm jumper + Camper sneakers but that's because I dress up for work (if you see what I mean). I shop at Zara and Jigsaw mostly with a bit from Gap, Toast and a sprinkling of other stuff. I loved Zara this season, was definitely my go to shop (but also my bosses, so have to be careful!). Ooh and I tend to avoid sleeveless stuff but that's an arm thing rather than an age thing (although the two are related).

Pagwatch · 02/02/2012 15:41

I am old.
I wear what I like for my body shape.
I tend to gravitate towards a sort of 60s vibe. Skirts, dresses, kitten heels, tailored coats and jackets. I never wear jeans or trousers. I wear boots a lot too when I am stomping around on school runs etc

Lk Bennett, Hobbs, nick farhi, day birger, whistles, departments stores a lot.

herbaceous · 02/02/2012 15:46

As an over-35, you may find this website useful. Chums

I know I do.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 02/02/2012 15:49

I'm 40 and 5ft 5 size 10/12.

For work I wear lots of dresses, generally artfully draped in the middle section or worn with hold in pants Grin or 3/4 length trouser with heels/jackets. I have 5/6 coats and always a decent bag and scarf.

For non work I wear skinnies/skinny cargoes with various sorts of tops, tucked into boots with a jacket/scarf/bag.

I always wear a chunky watch and often a cuff or an interesting necklace.

I do sleeveless in the summer but have toned upper arms and do wear skirts/dresses above the knee but only with opaque tights.

ihatethecold · 02/02/2012 16:37

That website doesn't even look real Grin

Loveleopardprint · 02/02/2012 17:26

Don't think that even my 92 yr old grandmother would dress as old as the ladies wearing "chums" clothing!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.