My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Serums- views

64 replies

cocobongo · 31/01/2012 08:15

Hi

Looking to try a new serum. Usually use Olay Regenerist, but thought I would try something else. Price up to about £25, so none of these crazily priced ones! I've tried Boots Protect & Perfect and didn't like that. Skin type is pretty dry / dehydrated.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

OP posts:
Pseudonymity · 31/01/2012 10:03

I have tried a few. Can't see the point of them. They are not moisturising and some are sticky. They are only useful as a foundation primer in my experience. Many are silicone based and sit on the surface of the skin.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm interested too.

alwaysrunninginheels · 31/01/2012 11:55

Loved the one my beauty writer friend gave me from origins....made my skin look wonderful and once i stopped i noticed. Next one from lancome...no difference in skin. Not sure what to try next but do think they can work if you get the right one for your skin....wish i could remember the name of the origins one though!!!

mrsmartin · 31/01/2012 12:11

Try an oil serum like a Decleor Aromessence. The Neroli is for balancing, the Iris for anti ageing etc!! I find they help massively with oil regulation, pore size and plumping. Also, if you use a good serum, you will typically use less than half the amount of moisturiser you used to use (a garden-pea size of moisturiser does my neck and face, down to the bust). The decleor serums are more expensive (around £40 for 15ml) but 15ml lasts 6months when used once per day (so probably more economical in the long run - I don't know how long your bottle of olay lasts). Also, I always buy the sets that have the 5ml 'trial' sizes in (which last 2 months) from qvc and even from ebay (as people end up stocking up on sets and feel they don't need the minis - I once got a 5ml aromessence excellence, their most expensive one at about £70 for £15ml, for £4!!).

Other than that, I have heard great things about SBC collagen serum (again from qvc-I honestly don't work for them - I just love the 30day return period on beauty products that have been used - it's genius!!). It's £25 INCLUSIVE OF p&p on it's own, or for an extra £5 you can get their collagen gel (which is brilliant), 3 in 1 cleanser and a shower creme (all full size). They are on waitlist at the moment though so I would advise calling or emailing them to see if they know when they will be back in stock.

In answer to Pseudo- serums are made up of smaller particles than those in your moisturiser. They are therefore able to penetrate deeper than your moisturiser and treat the skin below the surface, whilst your moisturiser works to fix the skin that you can see at the moment. I wouldn't use one that contains silicone personally, though if it works for others thats great. Basically it should be serum for the skin you want in the future, moisturiser for the skin you want right now. And a primer is essential if you don't want your skin to 'drink' your make up. It's your moisturisers' job to sink into the skin, so if you put make up directly on top it will just dag it into the skin with it.

Hope that helps and doesn't sound like a lecture!!! :o

CeliaFate · 31/01/2012 13:22

I like Clarins Hydra Quench serum. Not sure of the price but it suits my dehydrated skin perfectly. I use the CHQ moisturiser too and it's lovely.

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 14:39

I got the Dr Lowe from Boots.
Horrible, all silliconey.
Having said that Genifique was brilliant. Very pricey though.

louby86 · 31/01/2012 15:20

I love genefique too, if you've not used it before they normally give you some free samples

Bramshott · 31/01/2012 15:24

I'm never sure what to DO with serum - do I just dab it round my eyes and the smile lines at the edge of my mouth?!

MissFoodie · 31/01/2012 15:32

I can suggest some but need to know:

• do you want an oil or a water based serum? bearing in mind oil you would only use at night; if water,then you should still be using a face oil at night anyway!
  • will you slap anything on your skin or are there ingredients you won't use?
  • budget: max £25?
mrsmartin · 31/01/2012 15:57

Miss Foodie - you can use an oil during the day too - you should only ever need 3 drops so your face won't end up greasy.

Bramshott - there are very few products you can use inside the orbital bone but gentle massage over wrinkle-prone areas is always advantageous. I don't have wrinkles but I target my oils and apply them topically to slow the ageing process (my mum looks very old for her age so I'm pretty paranoid about it) ie I use Neroli oil all over but Iris where the elevenses, crows feet, marrionette and frown lines will be.

SleepIsForTheSheep · 31/01/2012 16:02

Sorry to hijack but MrsMartin - which Decleor serum would be for combination, stressed, tired (baby won't sleep levels of tired) skin? I've always thought of Decleor as an older brand (as in, my mum would use it), but maybe there is something for a 33 year old and it seems a nice brand?

MissFoodie · 31/01/2012 16:10

The decleor oils are very specific, ie to be applied to certain points on the face, and it sounds like she's after a serum to rub all over her face (which makes more sense to me, and yes I have tried the Decleor oils, they are Hazelnut based) and use alone or with a moisturiser hence my questions.

Phwooooar · 31/01/2012 16:11

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair - pricey - but I'm worth it! Seriously fantastic stuff

Highlander · 31/01/2012 16:14

Anyone know of a Paraben-free serum?

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:15

For paraben free ones it's worth checking REN.

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:17

Sleep you can try the Clarins Sensitive Skin one, Beauty Concentrate, I think, it's magic for stressed skin.

SleepIsForTheSheep · 31/01/2012 16:18

Ooh, that sounds good. MIL is mad about Clarins, and she has very good skin.

SleepIsForTheSheep · 31/01/2012 16:19

Sorry, that was to Coffee and should have included a 'thank you'

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:21

Awww!

SleepIsForTheSheep · 31/01/2012 16:21

This too shall pass, but I'd rather not look 20 years older by the time it does Grin.

MissFoodie · 31/01/2012 16:23

Highlander - yes, I was waiting for cocobongo to reply before posting a list (I specifically only review products without parabens, mineral oils or silicones);
Water based:
Oskia, Aesop, Ren,
Oil Based:
Suti, Balance Me, Ren, Neals Yard, Liz Earle

am still thinking..........but so far they're all over £25 :(

what about Melvita? they should have some in your price range?

Coffeeinbed - her max budget is £25 so Ren is out

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:24

No, we're aiming at only 18 years older or so... Grin

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:25

Oh, ok!
Sadly true...
How about the Youth Code - Boots has special offers - it's Genigique, basically?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

coffeeinbed · 31/01/2012 16:25

OH, but that has parabens..
Sorry!

MissFoodie · 31/01/2012 16:31

yep, sorry, anything in boots and a department store will do....or 99% of their brands will anyway!

and ps yes, L'Oreal group owns Lancome so v similar formulations

MissFoodie · 31/01/2012 16:45

ok, what about these:
Green People £17
A'Kin is £20
John Masters £25
Living Nature £18
Lavera £23

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.