My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

OMG have just attempted level 2 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred

36 replies

hermioneweasley · 18/01/2012 07:26

I thought I was going to die first time I did level 1. Little did I know. I genuinely thought I was having a heart attack. I had to stop because my heart rate was pounding, I felt sick and dizzy and my vision went blurred. I lay on the floor of my hotel room with my mobile in my hand in case I had to call an ambulance. Entirely futile, as there is no signal in the room I'm in! I don't even know why because I couldn't do a lot of it. Why did nobody warn me that you have to be able to plank for level 2? Hmm? All you dedicated shredders and nobody mentions it! And the moves are much more complex and I have no co ordination. I don't know if I will ever be able to transition to level 2. Has an in coordinated klutz with no core strength ever managed it?

OP posts:
chaosisawayoflife · 18/01/2012 08:49

Oh god, don't say this. I'm on day 5 of level 1 and feeling all smug and fit and good about myself. I need to hear that level 2 is fine and just more of the same.

Disputandum · 18/01/2012 09:28

I've just finished Day 6 of Level 1...was just congratulating myself on getting through the whole 20 minutes without stopping, and for the first time imagining a day when I might be ready for Level 2.

What is 'being able to plank'? Have just googled in panic but can't find anything.

MountainDew · 18/01/2012 09:55

I'm on day 4 of level 2. I was so not prepared for the jump in difficulty from Level 1. I kept meaning to come on here and warn people/see if anyone felt as tired as me! Sorry I didn't get here on time to warn you. Ho

Even a few days in I am practically crying at the end of level 2. (I say practically - days 1 and 2. I actually was crying! Haha.

MissFoodie · 18/01/2012 10:05

gulp

worldgonecrazy · 18/01/2012 10:12

Level 2 is definitely more aerobic than Level 1 and Level 3, I actually find Level 3 easier in many ways.

Keep going because it does become easier. In a couple of days you will be wondering what the problem was.

needanewname · 18/01/2012 10:13

OMG - Ive not got there yet - you're scaring me!

notyummy · 18/01/2012 10:16

You will get there! Just keep at it.The transition is hard I know, but the only way to get stronger is to repeat.

Try looking on youtube for demonstration of the plank. Amazing exercise for your core/abs.

needanewname · 18/01/2012 12:31

Oh yeah, thats looks so easy.

[thinks maybe its ok to be unfit and fat!]

DownyEmerald · 18/01/2012 22:05

I hated Level 2 - don't know why in particular, just didn't get on with a lot of the shapes my body was in! Level 3 much better.

CrispLeCrisp · 18/01/2012 22:08

I don't like Level 2 either and not just because it is harder. I find it painful on my knees. I usually alternate Level 3 and Level 1 with weights during the cardio sections

ILoveOnionRings · 18/01/2012 22:09

Can anyone describe the plank move (very worried as cannot do pressups - truth be known have never been able to do pressups)

hermioneweasley · 19/01/2012 09:54

So should I take a look at level 3 and see how I get on? Does it require one handed press ups or anything?

OP posts:
notyummy · 19/01/2012 09:59

Look on YouTube for plank- better than describing tbh.

L3 harder for cardio I think but no one handed press ups. Just jumping lunges - eek.

TwoPinkShoes · 19/01/2012 10:16

I've done it twice and.... Well the plank is a bit of a disaster Blush. My hands just slip on the carpet and I can't seem to hold it at all.

Also, I'm not losing weight this week Sad I don't know why. I am being so strict about diet and alcohol and doing shred every day. What's going on??

LadyWord · 19/01/2012 10:32

I can finally join a thread about the shred...! having been doing level 1 for a week. I'm not going up to level 2 anytime soon - I can't do pressups even in the "easy" position, and also I'm waiting for some weights I've sent off for to arrive, so I can do level 1 properly.

But anyway I looked up plank here (possibly - is this right?)

LadyWord · 19/01/2012 10:35
QuietOhSoQuiet · 19/01/2012 10:39

yes lady that is a plank and it really is a very effective exercise

worldgonecrazy · 19/01/2012 11:26

twopinkshoes I have never lost weight through shredding, I have, however, lost inches, and that's the important bit. The fat turns to muscle, which is heavier. Get out the measuring tape and measure yourself every fortnight.

QuietOhSoQuiet · 19/01/2012 12:25

world is right BUT and this annoys me as I have too much time on my hands

a 1lb of muscle cannot weigh more than 1lb of fat

1lb is 1lb no matter what it is BUT

1lb of muscle takes up less space as it is denser than 1lb of fat which is floblier

So if you exercise and turn the fat into lean muscle then you will look a lot slimmer but the scales will remain the same if you don't restrict what you eat.

It really does not matter what you weigh,throw the scales out the window and learn to gauge your weight by how your clothes feel and look on you

sorry if I was bossy,see disclaimer of sorts above

TwoPinkShoes · 19/01/2012 12:45

Lol. I do appreciate I must be gaining muscle but I am also doing Dukan, being so very careful about diet and even forgoing my beloved glass of wine with dinner.... And so am feeling frustrated. I want to lose weight AND fat.

Going to do shred in an hour. Am tempted to add davina in afterwards - if I don't keel over on the floor that is!!

worldgonecrazy · 19/01/2012 13:05

oops - quiet is right, I should have said 'denser' but I think most people will understand what I meant.

hermioneweasley · 19/01/2012 19:55

I am thinking of attempting a modified level 2 - so easy press ups instead of walking press ups (because I frankly dn't care about toned shoulders), and maybe more jumping jacks instead of the plank jumpy squat things, but trying the other exercises? Thoughts?

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

henrythecat · 19/01/2012 20:09

Loving the shred so far, started in the New Year, dreading level 2 though!

Quick question - would anyone please link or recommend the weights that they use? I'm a little tired of using tins of haricot beans and would like something perhaps double the weight. TIA

CrispLeCrisp · 19/01/2012 20:13
henrythecat · 19/01/2012 20:16

Brilliant Crisp, thank you, just what I was looking for. Will purchase tomorrow!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.