Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Have you got questions on keeping your children safe in the sun? Ask expert Dermatologist, Dr Mary Sommerland, for advice - £200 voucher to be won

GraceEMumsnet · 18/07/2022 10:21

Created for Garnier

This thread has now closed. Scroll down to read Dr Mary Sommerlad's answers to your questions.

Whether you have a child with a skin condition you need advice on, or you’d just like some top tips about how to protect children from the potentially harmful effects of the sun, ask Garnier’s dermatologist, Dr Mary Sommerlad.

• Everyone who shares a question on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw.
  • One lucky user will win a £200 voucher provided by Mumsnet.
  • Dr Mary Sommerland will be back online to answer a selection of your questions.

About Dr Mary Sommerlad:
“Dr Mary fell in love with skincare as a child sat on her mum’s lap at her vanity table while she applied her skincare. There are still certain products that if she sees now, take her straight back to that time. It was never a chore for Dr Mary to study for Dermatology assessments or presentations as skin, in health and in disease, is incredibly fascinating. In Dr Mary’s practice, both adults and children are seen with a wide range of skin conditions. Since becoming a parent to two little ones, Dr Mary has become even more interested in safe and sustainable skincare and is passionate about sharing skincare expertise with as many people as possible to ensure that effective and accessible skincare is available to all. Ask Dr Mary about skincare that suits the whole family.”

Here’s what Garnier has to say:
“As the only sun care brand with research recognised by the British Skin Foundation and over 85 years of experience in developing safe and effective sun protection, our mission is to teach children and families how to be safe in the sun. This is more important than ever as despite being a nation of sun-lovers, only 50% of us use sun care frequently when outdoors in the UK*. This is a topic that Dr Mary feels passionately about, understanding from her own experience as a mother of young children that getting kids to have good habits when it comes to sun protection is extremely important to their lifelong relationship with the sun. From expert advice about sensitive skin, to practical tips about keeping your little ones protected when the weather can be unpredictable, Dr Mary is on hand to help. Whatever your questions about sun protection for the whole family, share them below!”

*UK online survey of 1,548 women aged 18 – 65, March 2017

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Mumsnet Insight T&Cs apply
Please
or

Stansbiggestfan · 19/07/2022 10:37

Is there anything you can recommend for sun protection for the scalp. My teenage daughter has very fair auburn hair with a fringe which means part of her scalp is exposed and often gets burnt. She finds it hard to use sun cream on this area as it makes her hair greasy. Are there any products you would recommend for the scalp?

Please
or

MadamElderfield · 19/07/2022 10:53

My DC and I have eczema and it seems like suncreams are the worst for bringing out a reaction on hands and face - even the ones that say they're for sensitive skin. I have started using a mineral suncream which seems to be a bit better, but recently heard on the radio that it doesn't work as well as non-mineral suncreams. What would you recommend beyond staying inside 24/7?!

Please
or

Ingleduh · 19/07/2022 11:02

My daughter gets awful heat rash on her face, arms and the back of her neck after using suncream. All through summer she has such rough uncomfortable skin but obviously I can't not apply. We've tried all sorts aimed at sensitive skin but they all seem to effect her the same.
Are there any products that you can recommend or ingredients to look out for and avoid?

Please
or

sparklyblue81 · 19/07/2022 11:26

What’s the best sun cream to use on a baby’s skin?

My son is 8 months & while a try my best to keep him in the shade, in the pushchair the sun does sometimes get on him through gaps in the shade while changing directions all the time. I’ve been using factor 50 but I read somewhere that might not be good to use because of some ingredients in it.

Please
or

jellybeanpopper · 19/07/2022 15:10

What is the difference between adult, children and baby sunscreen? Is it ok to use adult sunscreen on children?

Please
or

Citybumpkin87 · 19/07/2022 18:21

At what point does sun damage happen - even a light pink 'burn'? Is there any way to undo it?

Please
or

MumC2141 · 21/07/2022 21:47

Is there a good sun cream for children with eczema?
What is your view on once daily sun creams?

Please
or

IWasThere4Aug12 · 22/07/2022 13:44

My son gets a rash on his face when abroad skiing and on his body when abroad in the summer-is that linked to sun cream/different water/something else? What suncream do you recommend to prevent it and what do you recommend to sooth it when it arises?

Please
or

MrPeabody · 25/07/2022 01:55

My ex partner has told me they plan to move to Portugal with our 12-year-old child, my child wants to go and he’s really excited but I can’t help feeling a big loss and don’t want them to go on the other hand I don’t wanna pour water on there bonfire, what should I do?

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 25/07/2022 15:35

What is the real difference between factor 30 & 50?

What is the difference between facial sunscreens & high altitude sunscreens & normal sunscreen?

Please
or

Russell19 · 25/07/2022 17:52

Do you always need to reapply suncream after swimming?

Please
or

MomsJeans · 26/07/2022 09:01

what is the best sun cream to use on the face without risking getting pimples and greasy skin? I have combination skin and find many sun creams(even the expensive ones) highlights my shiny t zone.also is there any way of getting a 100 factor ? I have pigmentation on a part of my face which I’ve been told due to sun damage and not wearing spf regularly.

Please
or

lrosey · 26/07/2022 21:39

Are you supposed to fully rub sun cream in on a child until it disappears or is it better to apply and rub in slightly so it still shows on the skin?

Please
or

Eyelash12 · 27/07/2022 12:14

This post has been withdrawn by MNHQ.

Please
or

mads2750 · 27/07/2022 12:20

Are there any sun creams which don't ruin clothes?! :(

Please
or

BigPants2022 · 27/07/2022 15:43

My children’s nursery won’t reapply suncream during the day, they ask it’s put on before they come in. I’ve bought an expensive brand that states 10 hours protection. Most say 4 hours and after swimming. How likely is the 10 hour protection still working after a few hours? Would you recommend using the longer protection versions? Thanks!

Please
or

BigPants2022 · 27/07/2022 15:49

Me again…I use a clear fresh spray (50 and 30). Can I use this on toddlers? Are there chemicals in it that could be damaging for their skin? We’ve used in emergency situations when the kids sunscreen has been forgotten somewhere 🫣

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 27/07/2022 19:10

If you were to buy one bottle for family use.
Which is better kids on adult skin, or adults on kids skin?

Assuming we are talking about the same factor. Is the kids vs adult just a bit of marketing hype?

Please
or

OldGreyAppleTest · 28/07/2022 10:15

What's the best way to protect my child's skin from sun damage when they are at school from 9am-3pm and the school will not allow the re-application of suncream? Staying out of the sun completely is not an option. My child is very fair!

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 28/07/2022 10:35

How does sunscreen affect Vit D levels especially in Scotland where people are known to have low Vit D levels?

Please
or

Noe · 28/07/2022 11:48

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or

hannahbjm · 28/07/2022 12:37

How often should we be reapplying? This worries me when they are at school and cant reapply properly on their own

Please
or

Alexjoe123 · 28/07/2022 13:29

Hi we are wanting to know what Monchelsea is like to live

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 28/07/2022 13:55

The cream vs oils which is better for skin?

Sorry I have so many questions but sunscreen seems such a minefield with too many choices.

Please
or

Creativebee · 28/07/2022 21:27

My DD has underlying health problems and the sun creams (different types) that I have tried in the past seems to bring her out in a nasty, itchy rash. Is there a sun cream that can be prescribed?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?