Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Do you have questions about Covid-19 and return to school testing? Ask Dr Amir Khan

GraceEMumsnet · 21/12/2021 14:13

Created for the Government

Parents of secondary school and college students are being asked to remind their children to do a COVID-19 test before returning to the classroom, to help reduce the spread of the virus. Dr Amir Khan is here to answer your questions.

• Everyone who shares a question below by 30 December will be eligible for a prize draw
  • One lucky Mumsnet user will win a £200 Amazon voucher
  • Dr Amir Khan will be back online to answer a selection of your questions.

About Dr Amir Khan:

“Dr Amir Khan is an NHS Doctor, GP, and best-selling author. Dr Amir is a frequent face on ‘Good Morning Britain’ and ‘Lorraine’.”

Here’s what the Government has to say:

“Following the Christmas break children will be heading back to school - but we really want to help keep Covid-19 out of the classroom. The Omicron variant is highly infectious and continuing to spread fast, which means we need to do more to help stop the spread. So, parents of secondary and college aged students are being asked to remind their children to take a rapid lateral flow test before they come back to the classroom after the Christmas holidays. If your child is at secondary school, they will be asked to do a test at school and then continue testing at home. If your child is at college they should continue to test at home and register results online. You may be feeling unsure about why testing is important, where to get your tests from or how to ensure your children are keeping themselves and their friends safe. So, this week GP Dr Amir Khan will be here on Mumsnet answering any questions you have about children's return to school after the holidays."

Please note that Dr Amir will not be able to respond to questions asking for specific or personal medical advice. If you are worried about a personal health issue, please contact your GP.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Mumsnet Insight T&Cs apply
Do you have questions about Covid-19 and return to school testing? Ask Dr Amir Khan
OP's posts:
Please
or

pinkmews · 21/12/2021 14:30

Why is it important for high school children to do a test but not primary school kids? Surely they are just as infectious as each other?

Please
or

Cotswoldmama · 21/12/2021 14:52

How often do they need test?

Please
or

BristolMum96 · 21/12/2021 14:59

Is it best for schools to close again for a circuit breaker or better to return and enforce testing?

Please
or

InTheLabyrinth · 21/12/2021 15:00

Why have the guidelines dropped back to one test in school? It was 2, if not 3, tests in the previous rounds of these mass testings.

Please
or

Serenschintte · 21/12/2021 15:09

How much does it cost England per week to provide these free tests?

Please
or

OneMillionSteps · 21/12/2021 16:23

What will a school do if a parent doesn’t give consent for their child to be tested?
(I am very happy for my child to be tested, but I have a family member who will not give consent for their children to be tested)

Please
or

BeautifulTulips · 21/12/2021 16:49

Why isn't there staggered testing as there was last March? It seems crazy to get all the children back into school mixing with each other, then test them sometime on the first day. Anybody with Covid could already have spread it to the rest of them by then! Plus lot to use public transport, again possibly spreading it to people there before they realise that they have Covid

Please
or

Billyliarohdear · 21/12/2021 17:02

My Son's Secondary school is opening a day early for testing only. Year groups are given time slots to go in.
My Son has sensory issues and finds taking a test difficult especially if he's around others and out of his comfort zone.
Can I just send him to school on the first day back of teaching after having done a LFT at home?

Please
or

starrynight19 · 21/12/2021 17:38

What do you think about children being allowed into school whilst awaiting test results ?

Please
or

BitterTits · 21/12/2021 18:47

Do you honestly think the majority will do this? More than 50% opted out of vaccines at my school. They're definitely not all testing judging by the number of kits left behind in school.

Please
or

BitterTits · 21/12/2021 18:48

Do you hold Us4Them in any way responsible for resistance to testing and vaccination in the school-age population?

Please
or

MatildaIThink · 21/12/2021 19:07

Do you genuinely believe that people will test the child, rather than either doing the test themselves, just adding the buffer to get a result if a picture is required, or just saying that they did a test and it was negative?

I wish I could have more faith in people, but I don't see the majority doing this properly.

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 21/12/2021 19:09

Hi Dr Khan, you have been very vocal in challenging the government about the lack of mitigation measures in schools, and thank you for that.

How effective do you think this plan to test pupils will be at minimising the spread of covid in the absence of any other new measures, and is there anything you think should be put in place in schools in January in addition to this?

Please
or

TheHoneyBadger · 21/12/2021 19:20

Hi Dr Khan. Thank you for being vocal about the absence of mitigations in schools.

Two part question: do you have any advice as to anything teachers could actually do to keep themselves and their students safe in the classroom come January? Second part: what is your opinion on the safety and ethics of encouraging pensioners to go into classrooms at this time?

Thank you.

Please
or

borntobequiet · 21/12/2021 20:19

Hello.

I’m a retired teacher of Mathematics with particular expertise in teaching Maths to students with dyslexia/dyscalculia and a track record of significantly good results both among such students and others without difficulties. I love being in the classroom interacting with students and miss it. I had always envisaged supply teaching as an option after retirement.
My own adult children have asked me not to consider teaching in schools at present, as they are not safe. They would like me to be around for a number of years for the sake of my grandchildren.
What should I say to them to persuade them to have confidence that I would be safe if teaching in a school from January?

Please
or

Moolia · 21/12/2021 22:09

Please could you clarify the rules on testing after a positive covid test? The NHS and government website say that you shouldn't test again within 90 days of a positive PCR unless you have new symptoms. But Test & Trace are telling people not to test again at all within 90 days.

My understanding is that after a positive test secondary school children don't need to do regular LFTs for 90 days but should get a PCR for any covid symptoms. Is that correct?

Please
or

FenceSplinters · 21/12/2021 22:31

How can we be sure that tests are carried out properly? I’m a teacher and I have had to supervise 30 children all doing a test at once. There is no way I can ensure each person does it properly.
It seems like lip-service to try to claim schools are safe.

Please
or

BitterTits · 21/12/2021 22:33

What should I say to them to persuade them to have confidence that I would be safe if teaching in a school from January?

Great question.

Please
or

BitterTits · 21/12/2021 22:34

@FenceSplinters

How can we be sure that tests are carried out properly? I’m a teacher and I have had to supervise 30 children all doing a test at once. There is no way I can ensure each person does it properly.
It seems like lip-service to try to claim schools are safe.

Wow, is that primary or secondary? That's insane!
Please
or

FenceSplinters · 21/12/2021 22:41

Secondary

Please
or

Flanjango · 22/12/2021 00:48

How can we be sure LF tests keep kids covid safe when my daughter caught covid from school and hasn't once tested positive by LF test? She's pcr positive and isolating for Xmas

Please
or

CloverField · 22/12/2021 08:54

Are the LFT tests accurate enough to be effective in combatting the spread of the virus?

Please
or

jellybeanpopper · 22/12/2021 10:43

Why are primary school aged children not being asked to do the same? We've been testing our 5 year old too, and there have been cases in her class?

Please
or

juliainthedeepwater · 22/12/2021 10:56

@jellybeanpopper

Why are primary school aged children not being asked to do the same? We've been testing our 5 year old too, and there have been cases in her class?

I just discovered this on the Welsh gov website.. feel a bit furious no one thought to tell English parents of under 5s!!
Please
or

rrhuth · 22/12/2021 11:26

Why has the government refused to do anything to make schools safer, simply asking us to test after it is too late and out kids are already infected?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.