My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their child’s messiest moments with Farrow & Ball

182 replies

LucyBMumsnet · 28/09/2020 10:01

This sponsored discussion is now closed

We may have gradually adapted to spending more time at home this year, but that doesn’t mean it’s been easy. With children around, more time indoors can often mean more opportunity for mess-making, whether over-adventurous colouring, teatime catastrophes, or grubby mitts. Farrow & Ball’s durable Modern Emulsion paint is washable and wipeable, so to celebrate all eventualities, they would like to hear the story of the biggest mess your child has ever made.

Here’s what Farrow & Ball has to say: “Our homes have become office, crèche, and schoolroom as well as space for your family. Couple that with the fact that most of us have been looking at the same walls for months on end, noticing every mark, or wanting to introduce a change, and you have a great opportunity for a fresh lick of paint.

Modern Emulsion is a great choice for any space because it’s washable, wipeable, and tough enough to withstand those everyday scuffs and scrapes from things like scooters and shoes. It’s also eco-friendly, child-safe, and available in any Farrow & Ball colour you choose.”

What has been your child’s messiest moment? Do you have a budding Picasso who simply can’t resist the allure of a blank wall? Perhaps your children weren’t even the culprits: are your four-legged friends responsible for muddy marks and wet splodges along the wall? How do you tackle the clean-up?

No matter what kind of creative punishments your home has been subject to, we’d like to hear your stories. All who share on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw. The winner of the prize draw will receive a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list), a virtual Farrow & Ball colour consultancy, and 10L of Modern Emulsion paint in a colour of their choice. Two runners-up will each win 5L of Modern Emulsion paint in a colour of their choice.

Thanks, and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

OP posts:
SweetPeaPods · 29/09/2020 06:19

Working from home during lockdown, in my recently decorated landing (new carpet the works).
Had a last minute team zoom call so quickly popped some make up on to look as presentable as I could. Left make up bag on the floor of landing as DH was sleeping off a night shift and didn't want to disturb him by going back into bedroom.
Came off said work call to find the dc working their way through my make up bag. Each of them covered in foundation, mascara, eye liner, blusher everywhere - handprints on the walls and all over the new carpet too.

justoffshift · 29/09/2020 07:13

About 3 years ago 2yo DS decided to permanent black marker our bedside tables, bedroom wall and large radiator, making an elaborate "map" of squiggles all over it. Still there and we move shortly, still don't know how to get it off! Also on a work call recently and DS off with chickenpox, decides to open up the hoover to see the inner workings, spreading black dust and god knows what all over the kitchen floor. Hoover then irreparable so dust remained there all day until I could borrow a neighbours hoover.

Fortunately we are moving to a long awaited renovation soon, which needs to be painted with childproof paint! Needless to say, we won't be having carpets and will be sticking to IKEA.

caffeinebuzz · 29/09/2020 07:20

Strawberry mouth rubbed all into my very light, very expensive and definitely dry clean only dress as I rushed out to the office. Didn't realize until I was on the train Blush

Lemming20 · 29/09/2020 09:26

Feet into nappy and then on carpet Sad

TheEndisCummings · 29/09/2020 10:01

where to begin - I thought at first of my children as toddlers scribbling on the wall or secreting bits of eclair behind the sofa. But actually it is teen son and the build up of unidentifiable crud along the side of his computer desk where he spends 90% of his home time. Layers and layers of I don't know what.

p0ptart · 29/09/2020 10:10

My two year old loves to travel as she eats. I can usually tell where she's been by following the grease trail on the walls and furniture - Hansel and Gretel, lockdown style

duck22 · 29/09/2020 10:54

Wow where do I begin...my 3yr old has created a list that matches santa. Hes thrown flour all over the living room to make it snow, did painting and proceed to cover every wall in the house on the way to the bathroom, covered the floor in sudacream at 6am.... it been an experience Hmm

WilmaJean · 29/09/2020 14:45

A silent toddler normally means trouble Shock walked in to find blue biro drawn all over the cream wall Confused

hiredandsqueak · 29/09/2020 15:32

Dd is very creative which isn't always a good thing tbh. Set up her easel and paints outside and left her painting quite happily whilst I got on with a few jobs. Went back outside when I heard neighbour talking to her and laughing. I went out and discovered she had painted herself top to bottom in blue and red so as to be spiderman and then I noticed the blue and red smudges up the hallway walls where she had tried climbing them Hmm

allofthetings · 29/09/2020 17:42

The classic Child + Make-up Raid
Lipstick all over my bedroom cream wool carpet.
Ended up having to buy a rug to stick over top, the lipstick stain is still there underneath, 4 years later!

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 29/09/2020 19:29

Could making brownies be so messy - yes even with a 14 year old I'd thought I'd trained well in the kitchen. Particularly welcome late in the evening, as she took to 9am baking sessions!

MrsPworkingmummy · 29/09/2020 20:55

My youngest child, now 2 and a half, grabs a pen when he wants attention and draws on whatever he can get his hands on. We have recently moved house and now have a large hallway. We were busy unpacking boxes and turned round to see he had drawn a line down the full length of the wall in a pen and crayon . It is painted in F&B Estate (by previous owners) and unfortunately, even a magic cloth won't budge it. We have just started to redecorate and ordered modern emulsion for our daughter's bedroom (Coleforth white), green smoke in the dining room and oval room blue for the lounge. All purchased via your website and then delivered a few days later (we are still waiting on the green smoke). I'd love to win a 5l tin to go over the hallway - possibly in mizzle.

copperoliver · 29/09/2020 21:24

We painted the bedroom when they were small age 3ish. I had a friend around with her children and her daughter got hold of a pot of sudocreme while we were chatting and smothered the newly painted walls in it. 🙈

caffeineanddryshampoo · 29/09/2020 22:16

My 5 year old likes to hold on to the hallway walls as he goes up the stairs. I've found bogeys on the wall before :/

Sistersofpercy · 29/09/2020 22:37

I recall an especially stroppy DD launching a full glass of blackcurrant juice at me once. It was up the walls, on the carpet and worst of all it was all over the uni work I was collating on the table for a morning hand in.
Ended up working all night to get it reprinted and remounted to submit. Fortunately DH spirited her away pretty quickly.

Forgetmenutcracker · 29/09/2020 22:43

I always put colouring pens away from reach of my little one but once she discovered that her colourful wooden toys acts like pens when pushed harder against the wall and so she created this "art" on my lovely newly painted walls in living room. Very creative 🙄

anothermansmother · 30/09/2020 08:29

My son during lockdown decided that whilst I redecorates his room he would make use of the wardrobe pole as a blow dart. Went in the next morning to find splattered blueberries ( apparently they fitted best) up up wall I could have cried. He was given the task of removing them all but it had to be repainted as you could still see the marks.

Ratbagratty · 30/09/2020 13:14

My then 3 year old found the only green pencil that hadn't been put away and drew a toddler sized "human" on the wall in our front room. Over the past year it has gained stickers and more to it! I don't know what I will do when I come to redecorate, might make it a frame.

When I was a child I used to pick the wallpaper off the bedroom wall!

ISBN111 · 30/09/2020 13:23

My daughter decided to make hot chocolate, and heated the milk in the electric kettle. Foaming milk all over the kitchen!!!!

Rice krispies got spilled all over the sitting room floor.... that made me cross. I didn’t buy breakfast cereal for a long time after that.

Monstermuncher · 30/09/2020 13:49

Oh my, there have been so many horrors over the years but the bathbomb making kit was the worst. Green handprints on every wall and crushed bathbomb trodden into the carpets. Not one crumb of the stuff ended up near the bath.

NerrSnerr · 30/09/2020 14:23

The first time my daughter wrote her name without any help was on the wall with Sharpie 😬

sqirrelfriends · 30/09/2020 15:02

Other than an incident with a sharpie, DS's finest moment was rubbing buttered toast into a wall, the grease soaked into the plaster so it showed through even after I painted over it.

Megansmumsie · 30/09/2020 15:59

Genuinely, each of these moments was the result of a single Bourbon Biscuit.

Carriemac · 30/09/2020 16:21

Visiting Child on a play date carefully drew a moustache on every single driver on my newly wallpapered DS's car racing themed bedroom !

DinosApple · 30/09/2020 17:30

My DDs are close in age, when the eldest was 2 and the youngest 1, they moved the fireguard and played 'snow' with the cold ash. Then put footprints and handprints all over the walls and carpet...
All in the time it took to boil an egg.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.