Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

DLA MR advice

Needanewadventure2021 · 11/05/2022 18:41

Hey

After over 10 weeks of waiting yesterday my child received a decline. I will be honest I broke down when they listed their reasons. To the point I had to ask 'are you sure you have even looked at my child's claim?'

It felt like their reasons were read from a generic document and have no relevance to my child's application. Nothing at all related!

However it wasn't until the care part that really upset me. My DS needs alot of extra help/care/supervision. I find it draining how demanding he is of me still. They dismissed he needed any additional assistance with anything and apparently he is able to do everything I gave very clear examples of that he actually can't. The list is very very long!

I know it sounds strange but has anyone experienced this where it feels like their reasons have no relevance to the claim you submitted?

I sent off his medical records, medical diagnoses, CAMHS referrals, OT, details of therapy through school and school SENCO details. His isn't diagnosed yet with additional needs but we are pursuing an ADHD/ASD diagnosis.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked over the decision. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Not at all!!

I need to wait for my papers for come back to file an MR but what the hell do I need to do? Yesterday I felt so drained with it all and how things are escalating at home so all I did was cry. Today I'm full on 'they are taking the piss, telling me he doesn't need any assistance'. I dont wish my child to struggle like he does. I wish his life was easier. But its not.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

danni0509 · 11/05/2022 19:54

Hi. Sorry they refused your claim. You have a strong chance of the decision being overturned so try not to worry.

Wait for the letter to arrive with their bullshit reasons for refusal, and pick apart every last bit of their shit!

Do you have any new reports to add in? Could school write you a letter? Senco / head / class teacher? You could tell them your ds has been refused for DLA and you are having to appeal and would appreciate if they could back you up so to speak.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/dla-appeals/dla-mandatory-reconsideration/

This link has lots of info about MR.

I’ve copied and pasted this bit from the Citizen advice link that I posted above, just as an example of what I mean about picking their shit apart,

‘’Your letter says I’m not entitled to DLA because my child doesn’t need continual supervision to avoid substantial danger to himself or others. This is incorrect. When my child is at home I have to be in the same room with him at all times because he can hurt himself when I’m not there to watch him. He often throws fits - in the past he has knocked heavy things off shelves and hit his head on furniture. This could injure him or others. He needs continual supervision to avoid danger to himself.”

And then more of the same for each reason they give you on the letter etc etc.

Ive never done an appeal with my ds, but I would be ready for poking eyes out if I had too! 🤣

Good luck!

Please
or

Needanewadventure2021 · 11/05/2022 20:30

Haha love the last bit. I am really angry. How dare they!

We are currently at a point of little to no sleep to add to everything else. It's killing me. I'm working FT in a very fast paced job. I get home and it's full on. I get no time off or to myself. During 'usual sleeping hours' my child is either awake or throwing himself around in his sleep hurting me as he wont sleep alone. I think I'm getting less than 2 hours broken sleep a night. So that isn't helping as I am exhausted.

Thank you for your advice though. I really so angry about it so I need to arm myself to get their decision overturned. I'm offended by their decision of him needing no additional care or assistance. My claim form had an additional 14 pages of examples of all the extra help he needs and how he is helped etc. The doctors referral stated all the additional help he needs and requesting an urgent referal to a child psychiatrist due to his escalating anxiety and aggression.
Since my claim OT referral has been made and he has begun therapy at school. School won't write a statement (God knows why) but ive been told they are happy to be contacted by the DLA. But I've been told they don't contact the school or doctors? I've got an appointment with the doctor at the end of the month to lay it all out. I dont know if I can request anything from his then because he has done all he can? This year his made 3 urgent referrals to CAMHS already!

I feel foolish now as only a few weeks ago when things have all started moving in the right direction with support I was so sure he would be awarded. To be told he hasn't been was a shock

OP's posts:
Please
or

AReallyUsefulEngine · 11/05/2022 20:43

You can make a SAR to the school for information about DS.

Please
or

Needanewadventure2021 · 17/05/2022 23:30

@AReallyUsefulEngine I've popped you a PM

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.