Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Site stuff

The Times wants your thoughts please

58 replies

GeraldineMumsnet · 27/08/2009 12:38

The Times is doing a light-hearted piece on the re-emergence of pick 'n' mix post-Woolies in shops such as WH Smith, M&S etc and would like to know your thoughts.

Did you breathe a sigh of relief when you thought it had gone or did your children regard it as a treat? Did you regard it as a treat? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks
MNHQ

OP posts:
courtneylovescox · 27/08/2009 22:22

it always look unhygenic, sorry

whomovedmychocolate · 27/08/2009 22:23

I told my DC that they were in those little plastic bins because they were contaminated like the yellow sharps contaminated bins at the doctors.

fishie · 27/08/2009 22:27

i used it as bribes for sitting still for haircut. it is satisfying to open little doors and go mining with the shovel and paper bag.

i do not like sweets at all so not troubled by how they taste.

Doobydoo · 27/08/2009 22:33

I have fab memories of pick n mix,from when I used to go round Woolies with my Granny[about] 30ish years agoI can still remember being shocked when she grabbed a few sweets to scoff round the shop!
Mind you when she was older she did shoplift quite blatantlY...I think she was thrill seeking or wanting to see how far she could go!

Starbear · 27/08/2009 22:38

Too expensive, unhygienic and my brother steals them while I'm out shopping with him, then we end up having a row. So not keen. I like old fashioned sweet shops that sell papers too! Not fancy tourist shops that rob you blind because you walked in with a kid looking for postcards

whomovedmychocolate · 27/08/2009 22:39

If you want a laugh at the pic n mix, throw in those polysterene packing pellets you get in large boxes, the multicoloured ones. Tis a treat watching the old dears chewing them and commenting 'they don't taste as good these days do they'

FritesMenthe · 27/08/2009 22:54

Ugh. Revolting. All those grubby hands delving around in the sweeties. I suppose the pick n mix was considered very up to the minute in its heyday? Now old-fashioned sweetie shops with jars are another thing entirely

NotanOtter · 27/08/2009 22:56

thank the lord it has gone

i used to go in the opposite doors to avoid the eye-level gelatine

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.