My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's shopping board. Whether you are after a new family car or a great new coffee machine this is the board for you.

Shopping

Moses basket - yes or no

52 replies

Nimme · 25/09/2004 09:47

I am thinking of buying a moses basket for having downstairs the first 3 months or so. I don't want to spend too much money (Daisy and Tom do lovely plain and simple one but costs £100 - without stand). Where can I get nice second hand one - and should I buy or is it waste of money???

OP posts:
Nimme · 27/09/2004 17:49

MTS - just seen your kind offer. Nowhere near Liverpool, but thanks.

Checked out the mothercare travel cot with bassinet - quite like.

Dophus - also looked on ebay. See what you mean. I am ebay virgin - please please explain to me the ins and outs. How do I know the condition it will arrive in??

OP posts:
Nimme · 27/09/2004 18:29

bump - Aero??

OP posts:
libb · 27/09/2004 18:38

Love mine - given by my sister. DS has practically grown out of it but have used it every day since the day he came home. I still hate it whem DS is carted upstairs and we sit down for the evening alone, feels like something is missing . . .

Lolski · 27/09/2004 19:48

Used mine loads. DS slept in it during the day downstairs and then I used to put the moses basket in the cot at night until he was big enough to go in the cot itself.
He also slept in it all evening (until I was brave enough to put him upstairs on his own !!!) and then I used to take him up with me in it when I went to bed.
It is on a rocker which is good. Found rocking it invaluable to get him off to sleep.

codswallop · 27/09/2004 19:49

no

Hulababy · 27/09/2004 19:51

I'm so glad we never bought one. Borrowed a crib from a friend and DD hated that - a moses basket would definitely have been out of the question - even then she liked room to kick and move about in bed.

Lolski · 27/09/2004 19:51

Sorry...my post sounds like I was in the moses basket with him when we went to bed - bad abbreviation !!!

Nimme · 27/09/2004 19:55

Don't mince your words Codswallop

OP posts:
NomDePlume · 27/09/2004 20:07

I bought one, we used it twice. I wouldn't bother.

codswallop · 27/09/2004 20:07

lool N

fisil · 27/09/2004 20:10

bought one cos I went overdue in the Xmas sales and had nothing better to do with my time. Biggest waste of money ever.

Aero · 27/09/2004 20:10

Would you like me to CAT you nimme - then I can take a pic and email it to you. It was a gift to us and I can't remember what it's called, but I know it was from D & T and it's really beautiful. We'd never have spent so much on a new one!

colinsmommy · 27/09/2004 20:11

I know this sounds strange, but I used a giant laundry basket for several months for naps, and as a travel bed.

Nimme · 27/09/2004 20:14

Aero - yes please

Colinsmummy - well I guess I could use my Homebase one

OP posts:
lou33 · 27/09/2004 20:14

Dh slept in a drawer when he was tiny, bless.

Aero · 27/09/2004 20:16

Have just looked on their website and our looks like the Country collection classic cream one. We used it for the first 3-4 months and was very glad of it. We live in Kent so not too far from London.

Aero · 27/09/2004 20:20

Have a look at the top one here.

Nimme · 27/09/2004 20:20

Aero - so far so good. Do you have a stand as well?? And price??

OP posts:
Aero · 27/09/2004 20:22

Yes - we have a stand which we bought ourselves. I hate talking money so publicly so I'll CAT you.

Nimme · 27/09/2004 20:28

Aero - look forward to it. Late dinner tonight so must be off - will check e-mail again tomock online tomorrow.

OP posts:
Aero · 27/09/2004 20:34

Have done it Nimme!

Davros · 27/09/2004 20:50

MUCH prefer crib-type-thingy e.g. John Lewis, you know, the one that's like a mini-cot and can swing. More room, better ventilation and you can see them without lifting your head from the pillow

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

linnet · 27/09/2004 20:57

For dd1 we borrowed one and used it until she was 4 months old.

with dd2 I wasn't going to bother getting one because they were so expensive but a lady at my work made one for me. It's lovely and I feel sad now that dd2 has grown out of it.

Aero · 28/09/2004 19:36

Did you get my email Nimme?

hana · 28/09/2004 20:06

nimme, we didn't buy one at first - just put dd in her cot but she didn't sleep well at all and was so so tiny inside it! DH bought a cheap one from Mothercare (plus stand) when she was about a week old. It was great, could move her around the house and have her in our bedroom (cot took up a lot of room in our bedroom) Didn't bother with the special basket bedding - just tucked flat cot sheets underneath the small mattress.
now need to dust it off for the next one!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.