My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Francis Holland or Harrodian or Emanuel 11+ offers

33 replies

fudgeandcookie · 27/02/2024 11:51

we are looking at several offers for our DD and struggling a bit to make a choice in the coming days. Would really welcome insights from actual parents at these schools as to what you like/don’t like. We don’t feel strongly on co-ed v girls-only. Distance/logistics sort of similar. She’s academically bright but also outgoing, into sports and expressive arts. Really grateful for inputs on what’s under skin of these schools and how you would compare/contrast…thanks so much

OP posts:
Wlondon14 · 27/02/2024 14:00

I have a dd at Harrodian and have been so impressed with everything. The teachers are engaged and inspiring, it seems like a place where the teachers really enjoy their jobs. The sport is strong with a few girls playing county level netball but they have teams all the way through for girls to play weekly. My daughter loves drama and was involved in a production in the Autumn term and enjoys her drama lessons and lamda at school. We were in a similar position last year and our dd was waitlisted at fhss and emanuel. I am now quite happy she didn’t go to fhss, but if she had an offer at emanuel I think it would have been a difficult choice. Emanuel more difficult to get to for us, but seemed like a really lovely school.

jeanne16 · 27/02/2024 14:15

Choose the school with the easiest journey.

Winifredduck · 27/02/2024 14:26

I would also choose the school with the shortest journey times unless the difference is very minimal.
We chose the most local school(walking distance) and are so happy we did, despite preferring a school with a much longer journey on paper.
My child has lots of local friends and often stays behind in the library/to play football and then walks home in a group.
I know lots of my child's friends who are v tired from their long journeys.

fudgeandcookie · 27/02/2024 14:29

thanks all, very helpful to get these thoughts as the minutes tick towards decision day!

OP posts:
fudgeandcookie · 27/02/2024 14:31

@Wlondon14 one thing that struck me about Harrodian (during offer holder tour yesterday) and I only just twigged...they don't actually have a gymnasium, which is a little odd, so not sure where they do indoor sports. But very few parents seem to mention it so I guess from your point of view and your DD, it's not that big a deal?

OP posts:
Wlondon14 · 27/02/2024 14:45

fudgeandcookie · 27/02/2024 14:31

@Wlondon14 one thing that struck me about Harrodian (during offer holder tour yesterday) and I only just twigged...they don't actually have a gymnasium, which is a little odd, so not sure where they do indoor sports. But very few parents seem to mention it so I guess from your point of view and your DD, it's not that big a deal?

I believe they have had planning permission issues with putting in a gym, but still trying for it and as they have a large marquee that is multipurpose and I think some sport happens there.

fudgeandcookie · 28/02/2024 13:49

welcome thoughts from any Francis Holland SS or Emanuel parents! Thank you so much

OP posts:
chocabloc20 · 28/02/2024 14:05

@fudgeandcookie Also have a DD at Harrodian and we are so happy with it. There is a lovely community feel to the school, the kids genuinely get on with the teachers and the school as a whole is very approachable. DD is bright and also had offers from Emanuel and others but we just felt this was the right fit. For her confidence, we felt she need to sit near the top academically and it has done wonders for her.

The sport is good but sports are done termly - so netball in Autumn term, hockey in Spring term... Unlike some schools that may do sport across a whole season.

Drama is very very strong there and they do a lot of big productions.

You're right, there is no indoor sports hall but there is a dance studio. They use the marquee space for some indoor sport but we really haven't noticed it being an issue. I believe there is some sort of planning for a bigger sports hall and for a boathouse.

The only thing we found was that with quite a small intake and a lot of kids coming through, it took a little while to find and make friends which DD found hard, but the school were very helpful and supportive with this.

Most clubs are done at lunchtime but if your DD does drama/lamda etc... there will likely be after school sessions (just in case that is relevant with travel/distance).

ash86i · 28/02/2024 15:22

fudgeandcookie · 28/02/2024 13:49

welcome thoughts from any Francis Holland SS or Emanuel parents! Thank you so much

Have a DC who just started Emanuel this year. Had an offer from Harrodian as well, and other schools and went with Emanuel. We’re very happy with the school so far, lots of things to do, happy to answer any specific questions.

moeyland · 28/02/2024 16:09

Does Harrodian have school bus or car pool from Fulham area? What about FHSS? I know they don't have school bus for sure but any car pools? Thanks!

Wlondon14 · 28/02/2024 16:37

moeyland · 28/02/2024 16:09

Does Harrodian have school bus or car pool from Fulham area? What about FHSS? I know they don't have school bus for sure but any car pools? Thanks!

Harrodian has a school bus from Fulham and is quite popular.

fudgeandcookie · 28/02/2024 16:48

also Harrodian does a free shuttle between south side of Hammersmith Bridge and school - helpful if your child can get themselves to Hamm Bridge

OP posts:
fudgeandcookie · 28/02/2024 16:50

FHS do not have a dedicated school bus (is my understanding) though apparently sometimes parents arrange one. Kind of odd perhaps as most of these schools seem to offer a few bus routes. So it's a case of taking the tube for my daughter (6 stops on district). Would be great to know if majority of those at FHS are walking, tubing, taking bus etc or what....wouldn't like her to be amongst the furthest away..

OP posts:
ncsurrey22 · 28/02/2024 17:36

@moeyland I believe the Fulham girls at FHSS either hop on the 22 bus or take the district line to Sloane sq so I doubt there’d be much of car pooling (perhaps in the junior school).

moeyland · 28/02/2024 20:00

Thanks all! It's very helpful to know... @Wlondon14 - Is the bus running both mornings and afternoons to the from the school or just the mornings? Thanks.

vivalasviva · 28/02/2024 20:15

fudgeandcookie · 28/02/2024 16:50

FHS do not have a dedicated school bus (is my understanding) though apparently sometimes parents arrange one. Kind of odd perhaps as most of these schools seem to offer a few bus routes. So it's a case of taking the tube for my daughter (6 stops on district). Would be great to know if majority of those at FHS are walking, tubing, taking bus etc or what....wouldn't like her to be amongst the furthest away..

If you're only 6 stops on the district line I can't imagine you'd be the furthest away. I imagine they try to encourage their pupils to take public transport- most schools do these days. Both for eco reasons and the fact that parents dropping children causes parking nightmares with neighbours! Always see lots of FHSS girls on the 22 bus.

Wlondon14 · 28/02/2024 20:37

moeyland · 28/02/2024 20:00

Thanks all! It's very helpful to know... @Wlondon14 - Is the bus running both mornings and afternoons to the from the school or just the mornings? Thanks.

Here is the schedule for the school bus from Fulham. There is another coach for Notting Hill/Chiswick.

Francis Holland or Harrodian or Emanuel 11+ offers
travelturtle · 29/02/2024 07:08

Current Emanuel parent here (DS1 in Y8) and chosen it again for DS2 over Harrodian and others (incl Hampton). Super happy with the school. Happy to answer any questions. Didn’t feel sure about Harrodian for us (have heard it described as a bit marmite but we just weren’t sure) Emanuel is a great all round school - academically but also lots of clubs and activities, and pastoral care has been good.

fudgeandcookie · 29/02/2024 10:06

travelturtle · 29/02/2024 07:08

Current Emanuel parent here (DS1 in Y8) and chosen it again for DS2 over Harrodian and others (incl Hampton). Super happy with the school. Happy to answer any questions. Didn’t feel sure about Harrodian for us (have heard it described as a bit marmite but we just weren’t sure) Emanuel is a great all round school - academically but also lots of clubs and activities, and pastoral care has been good.

Edited

Thank you very much @travelturtle super helpful. Do you have views or from others on FHSS v Emanuel? Welcome input. Seem to know far fewer folks via network with direct experience of FHSS

OP posts:
travelturtle · 29/02/2024 10:51

I’m not sure about FHSS sorry. I don’t know anyone with children there as it’s a bit too far from where we live so no-one we know applies there. There’s a general 11+ thread though and it’s been mentioned on there a good few times so I’m sure you could connect with someone with children there (or with views on it) that way

travelturtle · 29/02/2024 10:52

I don’t know how to post a link but the thread is called “SW London grammar and private year 7 entry 2024 - Continued”

fudgeandcookie · 29/02/2024 12:14

travelturtle · 29/02/2024 10:52

I don’t know how to post a link but the thread is called “SW London grammar and private year 7 entry 2024 - Continued”

Thanks so much! Found the other thread 😊

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

HawaiiWake · 29/02/2024 12:43

Do bear in mind that at Year 9, some girls in FHSS go to coed boarding schools such as Marlborough, Wellington, Charterhouse. So worth asking those who intend to stay for GCSEs or A levels.

moeyland · 29/02/2024 15:27

Thanks a lot! @Wlondon14

ForTaupePombear · 19/03/2024 10:34

Can I ask if anyone children are currently in Emanuel or will be going in Sept who lives in Kensington area? What are the options regarding travelling to school? Do parents carpool?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.