My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Farrington school chistlehurst

39 replies

Positivitywins · 12/11/2023 00:24

Hi! First post! Just looking for any info on form entry for Farrington, is it just one class? Just wondering how much of a chance we have for y7 start.. exam and interview depending.. Kindof have heart set as think Bromley high maybe too academic.. other school I like is a babington but only one form entry and I’m told roughly 45% come up from junior school so chances are slim..

OP posts:
Wilbeee · 09/12/2023 09:42

Hi just came across your post first time I’ve logged in so first reply ! My DS joined Farringtons this Sept there are 4 forms of around 18/20 children and I would guess that less than 50 % came up from the Prep. We were new to area so didn’t really have much of a clue and I was initially put off by negative reviews but working in education myself I know that people can have very different experiences of the same school. After our first term in seniors we absolutely love it and DS has a lovely friendship group and I would say academic standards are good. Good luck with whatever you choose .

Positivitywins · 09/12/2023 13:27

Thanks for your reply! We have done exam and interview now, it’s our top choice so fingers crossed!!! So many children taking the exams this year, highest numbers ever at some schools this year apparently! Just trying to remain positive and hopeful!

OP posts:
Hastheslotharrivedyet · 09/12/2023 13:42

It’s Chislehurst x

Wilbeee · 09/12/2023 16:04

I really hope you get positive news. I found everyone very welcoming to us all as newbies, parents staff and children, can’t fault it at all so far. Keeping everything crossed for you .

sawnotseen · 09/12/2023 16:06

It's non selective so you will obv get a mix academically. If your child is academic, I'd avoid it.
My friend took her daughter out to go to a state school but that was a few years ago.
I used to work in a GDST school like Bromley High. They are very good schools ime and not super selective. Very focused on 'girls first' education.
If you are in Chislehurst you have access to a lot of good state schools, including the Bexley grammars.

Wilbeee · 09/12/2023 16:17

Yes it’s definitely a mix. my DS passed the Kent Test but not Bexley and we have been happy so far with the sets and academics standards . My elder DS went to a very academic school and I prefer the less pressured environment but it’s very individual isn’t it .

Positivitywins · 09/12/2023 20:34

@Wilbeee So in your opinion the school being ‘non selective’ why do you think they do the entrance exam? I’m guessing they must be selective to a degree based on that and use the interview as a way of choosing rounded children? @sawnotseen I loved BH for the facilities and empowering of girls I just worry re the all girl environment! We’ve been in state up to now and don’t feel they’ve pushed her enough to be super academic although she has the potential.. so a pressured environment is probably not best for her! Thanks for all the reply’s, this is my first post and only post so good to hear people’s opinions etc!

OP posts:
Wilbeee · 09/12/2023 21:15

yes they def have a selection process just not as academically rigorous as some. You will find that parents that have very bright children may not consider it selective enough, I have a different view and I wouldn’t say my DS is super bright but is certainly very capable especially in maths . I have two older children one is super bright and did not do particularly well in a very selective grammar school and one went to a less academic school and wasn’t considered as clever on paper and is now doing a PHD . They will find their own way if they are happy at school IMO. For us it was about the best fit. I think the selection process looks at the whole child. It’s something you are not able to do with admissions in the state sector ( where I work ) so it’s an advantage for them to be able to take all the factors into account and offer accordingly. In our year two of DS friends were not offered which I assume was down to the entrance test. .

sawnotseen · 10/12/2023 12:21

What worries you about an all girls environment? I went all girls and always had, and have male friends. Single sex V co-Ed is a difficult choice and individual to the child and obv your preference. I ended with single sex schools for both of mine (daughter and son) just because they went to the school of their choice - both Bexley grammars. They both passed bexley and Kent (daughter by a whisker!) However, I worked at a GDST school when they were in primary and read a lot about the pros/cons of both and, based on that research, I would have chosen single sex for my daughter and co-Ed for my son, but he decided otherwise. They both did well. They both maintained positive relationships with friends of the opposite sex throughout senior school years, as did I.
Also agree with @Wilbeee - depends on the child at the end of the day and I let mine chose as their happiness was the most important thing to consider.
I know children, friends' children, who got into the super selectives - St Olave's and Newstead Woods (my nephew teaches there and loves it) but they chose to move to less pressurised schools for sixth form. Good luck - I'm relieved mine are adults now!

Positivitywins · 10/12/2023 18:32

I went to all girls private and didn’t have the best experience, although a long time ago so I guess that slightly effects my thought process… I wasn’t totally against the idea but my daughter enjoys her friendships with boys at school and think sometimes boys can take the edge off what can sometimes be a bitchy environment.. girls will be girls! I think happiness is the key to everything and her preference is to be in a mixed school so we are all rooting for her :)

OP posts:
sawnotseen · 11/12/2023 05:39

@Positivitywins I agree re girls being bitchy....., unfortunately it's true. I experienced such but I don't have experience of co Ed, so can't compare. if your daughter prefers co Ed, I would go with her choice. I feel that She will thrive better in a school that she's chosen. Mine chose their schools but the schools wouldn't have been my preference. If she likes the 'feel' of Farringdon's then go for it. I hope she is happy wherever she goes. It's a lovely building too.
The uniform is nice - only saying this as my son refused to consider Chis & Sid because of the uniform ('i don't want to be a ribena kid mum' )

Positivitywins · 12/12/2023 19:17

Haha! The uniform is important 😂 I had a brown and yellow one as a child, was not a fan! Another question, as you’ve had experience with GDST schools, do you know anything about the group interview process? Unsure what to expect and want to be as prepared as possible!

OP posts:
Shortymacshorty · 05/02/2024 20:24

Hello - I’m thinking of Farringtons for my daughter. She is bright but not very academic, she has ADHD which can be challenging for her focus. When we’ve looked round Farringtons it seems a lovely school with an emphasis on the whole child and not just pushing academically, which I’ve heard the other two private schools locally do. For those that have done the entrance exam, is it near to an 11+ exam? I believe there is an entrance interview as well? Any info on that would be great. Tia.

KWF75 · 10/02/2024 01:12

I'd honestly avoid Farringtons like the plague. I'm a former teacher there and the school cares more about making money than about doing right by the kids. They're desperately trying to be seen as an academic school but without making the right changes to become one. The environment is toxic which is why I left. Teachers are unhappy and the leadership team is hopeless. Please - for the sake of your child, look anywhere else!

Lizy1234 · 22/02/2024 10:24

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/secondary/4657507-sevenoaks-radnor-house-or-farringtons?page=2
Farringtons is a terrible school. The best thing we have done was to leave that school. They nearly destroyed my son’s confidence and self esteem, he was bullied and no one cared.
He was assessed by the psychiatrist who agreed he needed counselling due to everything that happened in that school. He used to often say that the Head hates him.
Me and my husband both work in private schools, one part of GDST and we were shocked by what we have found in Farringtons.
I would strongly encourage anyone to avoid this school.

Page 2 | Sevenoaks Radnor House or Farringtons | Mumsnet

Hi, does anyone have a clue how difficult the entrance test is for either Farringtons or Radnor House (Sevenoaks)? My son is low average, and needs a...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/secondary/4657507-sevenoaks-radnor-house-or-farringtons?page=2

Lizy1234 · 22/02/2024 10:56

KWF75 · 10/02/2024 01:12

I'd honestly avoid Farringtons like the plague. I'm a former teacher there and the school cares more about making money than about doing right by the kids. They're desperately trying to be seen as an academic school but without making the right changes to become one. The environment is toxic which is why I left. Teachers are unhappy and the leadership team is hopeless. Please - for the sake of your child, look anywhere else!

We were wondering what was happening with some of the good teachers who were suddenly leaving. Of course is not an academic school everyone know that but at least you would expect to keep the children safe and happy in school.

KWF75 · 22/02/2024 14:14

Lizy1234 · 22/02/2024 10:56

We were wondering what was happening with some of the good teachers who were suddenly leaving. Of course is not an academic school everyone know that but at least you would expect to keep the children safe and happy in school.

Pure toxicity, incompetence and cowardice throughout management, sadly. There was a culture of fear amongst staff when I left and apparently it's worse now!

It has never been an academic school but that was always its strength - it gave a happy, safe environment where kids could thrive at what they were good at. Was a similar environment for staff until the new head of prep joined. Since leaving, I'm happier, more relaxed and am teaching better as a result. No teacher can do well in a place where they're scared.

Lizy1234 · 23/02/2024 13:52

KWF75 · 22/02/2024 14:14

Pure toxicity, incompetence and cowardice throughout management, sadly. There was a culture of fear amongst staff when I left and apparently it's worse now!

It has never been an academic school but that was always its strength - it gave a happy, safe environment where kids could thrive at what they were good at. Was a similar environment for staff until the new head of prep joined. Since leaving, I'm happier, more relaxed and am teaching better as a result. No teacher can do well in a place where they're scared.

I am so sorry you have had to go through all that but glad you are happy now. Just so you know all the parents I know from my sons class were talking of how incompetent the new Head is. All the complaints were ignored, we were so shocked because we threatened to leave and he didn’t care. We have had no choice, we had to leave as my son was suffering tremendously, crying nearly every day I would pick him up from school.

BARMAN · 24/02/2024 17:46

I have been reading this stream and have been quite shocked by the negativity towards this school. I started working there and have had a completely different experience. All of the staff have been incredibly helpful and supportive and welcomed me into the school. The staff look happy to be there and really enjoy working with the children. I wouldn't hesitate to enrol my child in this school.

KWF75 · 24/02/2024 21:27

BARMAN · 24/02/2024 17:46

I have been reading this stream and have been quite shocked by the negativity towards this school. I started working there and have had a completely different experience. All of the staff have been incredibly helpful and supportive and welcomed me into the school. The staff look happy to be there and really enjoy working with the children. I wouldn't hesitate to enrol my child in this school.

The staff are lovely. I miss a lot of them tremendously. It's the senior management that are atrocious, self-serving and only care about protecting themselves. Since I left, several others have gone because of the toxic environment created there.

KWF75 · 24/02/2024 21:29

Lizy1234 · 23/02/2024 13:52

I am so sorry you have had to go through all that but glad you are happy now. Just so you know all the parents I know from my sons class were talking of how incompetent the new Head is. All the complaints were ignored, we were so shocked because we threatened to leave and he didn’t care. We have had no choice, we had to leave as my son was suffering tremendously, crying nearly every day I would pick him up from school.

Thank you Lizi :) That's interesting what you say! Is that the Senior or Prep head?

Yep, staff complaints are ignored as well - they only want to hear good things. I know of a few other kids who left due to complaints being ignored, especially if the complaint was against favoured staff! The other thread we've both commented on went viral at Farringtons a couple of years back apparently - so management knows how you all feel - from the sounds of it they've continued to ignore it!

Lizy1234 · 26/02/2024 11:20

KWF75 · 24/02/2024 21:29

Thank you Lizi :) That's interesting what you say! Is that the Senior or Prep head?

Yep, staff complaints are ignored as well - they only want to hear good things. I know of a few other kids who left due to complaints being ignored, especially if the complaint was against favoured staff! The other thread we've both commented on went viral at Farringtons a couple of years back apparently - so management knows how you all feel - from the sounds of it they've continued to ignore it!

Edited

Our experience was in the Prep but I know of parents that complained to Mr J too with no result.
Last year there were quite a few children that left Farringtons and are now at Colfes, Radnor House etc, I keep hearing how they share the news of how bad Farringtons school is and how unhappy they were there.
The fact is that despite fees discount the staff receive at Farringtons some still prefer to pay full fees and send their children to other private schools like Merton Court for example.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

KWF75 · 26/02/2024 17:20

Lizy1234 · 26/02/2024 11:20

Our experience was in the Prep but I know of parents that complained to Mr J too with no result.
Last year there were quite a few children that left Farringtons and are now at Colfes, Radnor House etc, I keep hearing how they share the news of how bad Farringtons school is and how unhappy they were there.
The fact is that despite fees discount the staff receive at Farringtons some still prefer to pay full fees and send their children to other private schools like Merton Court for example.

Very interesting you say that. And very in keeping with my own experience. In over 30 years of teaching, I’ve never come across someone less suited to the profession than Mr B. The parents who got nowhere with Mr J are in good company. He’s nice but ineffective.

Fortynewthirty · 28/02/2024 13:10

I think Farringtons Prep has been completely turned around by the new head. He has really raised the standards of teaching and learning which is what he was brought in to do. Some staff have left but that is because they didn't like the changes (improvements in my opinion). I think the majority of staff and parents are very happy with the Prep School. Those that were unhappy have moved on and it has made such a positive difference as their negativity was bringing others down.

Fortynewthirty · 28/02/2024 15:31

I am shocked at the negativity which I do not believe reflects the feelings of the majority of parents and staff. I would not hesitate to recommend the Prep School to other parents. The negative posts seem to be from a very small number people who clearly have a grudge against the school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.